Hearing aids, noise and tinnitus --be careful with sleeping

Some study was done on mice and it was found that mammal ears are more vulnerable to damage from loud sound while sleeping. I didn’t know about that and although I’ve had mild tinnitus with my hearing loss for decades, I gave my tinnitus a huge boost on 2 occasions when I was sleeping next to loud noise. (You think I would have learned the 1st time). I got a second pair of HAs to wear when I’m sleeping (ironically to help with the tinnitus from the first time). It seemed great, but upon falling asleep in a room with loud air conditioner, I woke up a few hours later with the tinnitus screaming. It’s tamed down a lot but still have an annoying ring I didn’t have before. So the moral of the story for me is to keep noise to a minimum while I’m sleeping (which also means no HAs when sleeping).

3 Likes

I sleep with a sound machine and have ever since getting aids over 18 years ago. Honestly it is the only way I can sleep. I was told to do so by every audiologist that I ever worked with

2 Likes

Noise while sleeping always helped me tune out the tinnitus. Tried sound machines it a noisy fan seemed to work best. Don’t have that with CI now.

3 Likes

I have slept with a HEPA air cleaner for 30 years. Long before I knew about its interaction with tinnitus. Depending on which ear is on the pillow I can/can’t tell it is running. Just barely loud enough to hear. The VA gave me a pillow speaker and a little Bluetooth speaker with an sd card of sounds for tinnitus masking, which I like quite a lot. But these are relatively quiet. They give my mind a hint to phase out the tinnitus.

WH

1 Like

nothing could help to get rid of my tinnitus.

I find that EarWorms are great for masking tinnitus. I’ve been using “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” since December 20!