Hearing Aid Repair?

I am curious. My first hearing aids were Phonak CIC, I believe they were called Music. They had gone in for repair a few times and came back the same as they went in, no change. I bought them years back from Hearx. Are hearing aids repairable? Has anyone had a better experience getting their hearing aids repaired?

I felt like Phonak ignored what I told the audiologist (not HIS), or like maybe she just sent them in for repair without my remarks on what was wrong with them. Calling the USA regional office I was told that they don’t talk to end users before they quite rudely hung up on me, despite me being pleasant, not antagonistic. It sounded like I disturbed him in his home preparing lunch from the background sounds.

So has anyone had better fortune getting repairs done? Are all hearing aid companies the same, rude to customers as Phonak was to me? I did try a second pair of Phonaks, Audeo IX’s, one step down from top of the line and not exactly cheap. They were good for a few years, but eventually also failed and failed being repaired. So my question is do some companies actually do repairs? I am quite happy with my new Resound Preza’s and hope I don’t have to find out how Resound is on repairs sooner or later.

I suppose I should mention that I was somewhat tough on them, though not the first ones. I used to participate in dog sports, racing and lure coursing. Lots of dust, heat, and sweating. Though I did use the Hearing Aids Sweatbands I think they were called, though I did sweat profusely being active in the heat.

Lloyd’s does hearing aid repair with a warranty.
From doing business with them I would bet they do excellent service.

1 Like

Do you know if they do their own repairs, or send them out to the manufacturer?

No, I do not know.
They managed my silicone molds. The left caused pain after 3-4 days use so they sent materials to make new impression. They do send impressions out for 3D scanning and to be made. This left mold is now doing great.

Ah, but that is not a repair of the aid, but a redo of the mold. I’m wondering if any company actually repairs a failed hearing aid. From my experience, Phonak failed to do so given multiple tries. As such, they lost a potential future customer. Is it the nature of hearing aids as a whole, or were they too cheap to replace a failed circuit board or chip, or would that be expecting too much?

They do hearing aid repair.
Check out the site when you get a chance.

1 Like

Yep, I did. I was wondering though if anyone had personal experience getting repairs done as my own experience was horrible. Two returns after a failed repair has me leary of Phonak. I’m wondering if anyone had similar experiences with any companies, and if good or bad.

I haven’t needed to send any repairs out via Costco … yet. Hope I don’t have to find out as my old standbys are no longer worthy of filling in.

I can’t imagine having issues with repairs at Costco. Only a period of time without aids? A cheap pair off eBay could be a back up. Do you still have your programming equipment?

Because of you I have actually thought about selling my aids and doing the Costco route. The fitter I dealt with in San Antonio was really good and these new KS9 aids are good ones.

I have had Oticon hearing aids repaired several times over the years and they always replace the the electronics in them. I wear ITE aids and never got my aids back still not right

1 Like

Ok, maybe mine was a Phonak issue. After all, they even refused to talk to a customer on the phone. Mine came back not working, the same as they were sent in

If you mean me, I never had programming equipment. I couldn’t find any at a decent price

My mistake.
Thought you used to program.

I left that for those who know what they’re doing LOL. I never gave it a thought actually as it seemed pretty deep and I already had enough tech going on in my life

I had a pair of 6 year old Resounds repaired by Lloyds around a year ago. I was told by them that they do some repair in house and if they can not repair it they send it to independent repair people they deal with. Call them and they will tell you if your aids can be fixed or not. They charged me less then they quoted me.

Thank you, turners. Mine are brand new. I was wondering due to the bad experience that I had a few+ years ago with Phonak repair and customer service - non-existent from my experience. Just looking forward to the future and possibilities. And was wondering what experience others had with OEM repairs.

You can bet that Lloyd’s is in my Contacts now.

1 Like

In the uk sometimes my Widex have been sent to Starkey. The repairs are of poor standard and inferior parts & never sound the same. Now I always make sure they go back to Widex.

1 Like

So it is not limited to just Phonak. They have you by the short hairs and they don’t care. Does your hearing aid provider just send them out at random rather than to the manufacturer?

If still within warranty it “should” go back to the original supplier of the hearing aid. After this the cost cutting can kick in, and some dispensers will then use a cheaper alternative & you don’t normally know this. For example when starkey repaired it, it never sounded the same & it was only on pushing that I found out it wasn’t going back to Widex, but Starkey instead. They may be able to repair certain hearing aids but they definitely can’t repair Widex and contrary to what the dispenser said it’s definitely not the same. How do I know? I had many problems years ago & was told it was being repaired by starkey but it would be the same. It definitely wasn’t. Then my son came out of the warranty period, had a repair twice & it still wasn’t right so he wouldn’t wear it-it was being sent to Starkey. One further repair at my insistence with Widex and all was back to normal. It’s very frustrating that people can think it’s their hearing aid maker when actually it’s a cheaper intermediary and we are not aware!

1 Like

That is ridiculous and fraudulent. You bring in a manufacturer’s aid to be repaired and you would expect it to be fixed by the manufacture and not by a discount place. Especially so post warranty.

Too late now, years later for me to ask Hearx what their practice was. But they definitely went back 3 times in succession for repair and each time came back the same, cutting in and out. And it was continuous not sporadic, could not have been missed IF they checked their work , which they obviously did not do.

Good help is hard to find in just about all things, not just hearing aid issues.

My experience with Phonak has been the opposite of yours. Never a problem with used aids bought off the internet. Always had a Dry & Store to put the aids in at night. Not sure if that helped but I bet it didn’t hurt. I also sweat a bunch during outside activities.