Hearing Aid Repair?

I had used the Dry & Store for years. It seemed to stop working as my last Costco aids started giving me trouble. The Costco HIS, who used to do repairs, put them into a heavy duty drier and it fixed them. He suggested the drier that they sell as he said it is more powerful that the Dry & Store, so I switched. That fixed the occasional moisture problem. The PerfectDry Lux.

1 Like

RJS Acoustic Lab in Vancouver, WA is a manufacturing and repair lab that is an ā€œall makeā€ repair facility. Not sure if they accept mail in repairs but do take walk in repairs. I used to use them for years while I was still in practice.

Thatā€™s closer than cross-country. Perhaps I should look in the Yellow Pages, or ask my HIS after my warranty is out. Heā€™s never had to send in a repair for me though, that was years ago through Hearx

Last year my Costco Bernafon died, Costco said it was too old (2010) to fool with.

I searched this forum for ā€œhearing aid repairā€ and found a thread in which one of the members recommended http://directhearingaidservice.com/ in California.

Contacted him to verify whether he still recommended them. He did.

Long story short, Thomas at http://directhearingaidservice.com/ fixed my Bernafon, for not much money, and it works fine. I recommend him and think you would do well to contact him about repairing your aid.

Full disclosure - in the meantime I ā€œupgradedā€ to a Phonak and havenā€™t used the repaired Bernafon much for the last 10 months or so - only when the Phonak is being repaired by Phonak - so I canā€™t speak to the long-term reliability of the repair, but you never know.

And looking at your location, he is within shouting distance - same state, same part of the state.

Best of luck getting your instrument fixed!

It does sound like it possibly wasnā€™t being mended by the right people. We never think to even question this do we, itā€™s a vulnerable market as relies on best practice and we donā€™t know if thatā€™s not happening & can go through a lot of stress and wrong conclusions in the meantime. My fix? Always tell them to send it back to Widex and ask for the paperwork.

Thank you, I will keep this one stored too. As I said, mine are brand new, lots of warranty yet. I was curious about otherā€™s experience with OEM repairs after the warranty is gone. But thank you for the input.

That is true, I was new to hearing aids then. I would have thought that under warranty still the aids would have been sent to the manufacturer and would not have given a thought otherwise, When I spent $3500 on these new to my life devices, I went in trusting these lifesaving people, besides, my audi was extremely pretty

I have found that most HA manufacturers will repair their aids up to 5 years. Then they tell you the parts are not available anymore.

I had a similar experience of not finding someone to repair aids over 5 years old. That led me to search for a service and I found the direct hearing aid service site.

I have used them several times over the past 15+ years and been very happy with them. Only once did it come back with not everything fixed. In that case the aid was cutting out if I turned up the volume above 3 (analog aid). They fixed the main setting but was still happening on the tcoil setting. When I described what wasnā€™t working they fixed that when I sent it back (no extra charge except mailing).

So far I have only used them for analog aids so I donā€™t know what the results are for digital. I have digital now so will see how they do when the time comes.

Thank you for the input. Hopefully neither of us will have to find out.