Have I bricked my Phonak Aid?

I can not connect my Aid to software.

It comes up with this message every time I try and factory reset it or try and sort firmware update. I have tried many times.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 062808

I was not even trying to do the firmware as the firmware has not been updated for a long time.

I had a new battery in it as I always do.

Can I scream, argh argh argh!!!

1 Like

it ever happened to me when reset using wirless programing, (other than Hi-pro / cable ), then I reset using cable, and successfully

So did this just happen as soon as you tried to connect to target,or were you making some adjustments to the HA at the time and went to save and got that message, I’ve seen it before a few times using iCube “the bug” it can have (it’s the main reason I dumped iCube for iCube ll) the wireless connection gets interrupted, but as @andreanboea has mentioned HiPro is a possibility, but it definitely looks to me like “bricked”
Just out of curiosity, what version of target are you using.

@andreanboea

@tenkan

I’ve definitely been in luck.

I spoke to an audiologist who’s helped me loads since I stated self programming in 2011.

He said Target 8.0.2 (it’s the latest, not 100% if numbers are correct but it’s 8.?.?) was not good when this problem arises.

He told me to go back to 6.2 and the reset worked straight away to solve this issue.

I use a iCube II and was just connecting my Aids rather than trying to do anything else.

I’m gong to stick with 6.2 as l only have the V70 and M70 so it’ll work for me.

2 Likes

Oh fantastic, now that was a bit of luck allright, yeah I had a feeling about what target version you were using, we’re learning as we go sometimes!

Some snips from Phonak Target(s) and DIY School;

1 Like

I’m confused by your post @pvc

iCube II works both on 6.2 and 8 which I have both.

I’ve been using a iCube II for 7, nearly 8 years.

1 Like

Yea a bit of pure luck @tenkan

I really wasn’t expecting it to work.

The audiologist who helped me said it would work but I was thinking how can a software version make any difference especially as iCube II works on the latest Target as well.

Which part are you confused about? That iCubeII is going obsolete but you can still use it? You can say the exact same thing about iCube.

All wireless proprietary hearing aid programming devices are going obsolete. They are not yet completely obsolete. But they will be!

Yes but I wasn’t talking about them going obsolete. That’s not what my thread was about.

I’ve programmed the Aid with iCube II and Target 8.?.? for months!

1 Like

Well, sorry. But I beg to differ about the boundries of what your “your thread” is about.

Your solution, even though you are programming with (iCube II and current versions of Target 8 for months) is to revert back to an older version of the fitting software. That’s fine if you want to do that. Others may not want to revert to older versions (or even worse), may not have the capability to easily revert back and forth to older/more compatible software versions.

I posted to this thread because I believe that others, should be made aware of these Phonak/Unitron version issues related to their going-obsolete proprietary wireless hearing aid programming devices. I don’t believe it should be kept secret just because you have a bricked-hearing-aid-workaround of reverting back to an older version of the fitting software.

Yes but not because Target 8 doesn’t work with iCube II!

That wasn’t the issue!

It’s to do with how the factory reset works!

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with the fantastic “not going obsolete” going nowhere for a long time iCubes, it’s software as @Zebras mentioned,but regardless for all those people who like to buy older versions of HAs and DIY this is the perfect solution.

Well this was the solution given to the issue and explained by @Zebras for all to see on the forum, no dirty little “secrets” from anyone.

1 Like

Yep, I get it that for this specific instance of your bricked hearing aids;

• factory reset using iCubeII with Phonak Target 8.? does not work
  • factory reset using iCubeII with Phonak Target 6.2 works

Also at issue is why were the hearing aids bricked in the first place? You said;

• I was not even trying to do the firmware as the firmware has not been updated for a long time.
  • I had a new battery in it as I always do.
  • I’m going to stick with 6.2 as l only have the V70 and M70 so it’ll work for me.

So, back to my point I was trying to make. These are Phonak/Unitron version issues related to their going-obsolete proprietary wireless hearing aid programming devices, and I believe other members should be aware of these issues and the workarounds. Not just your workaround. But all of them.

• Phonak Target 6.2 can fix some bricked hearing aids
  • Phonak Target 6.1 can facilitate the use of obsolete iCube
  • Unitron TrueFit 5.0 can facilitate the use of obsolete iCube

@pvc

6.2 can fix a bricked Aid with the same fault that only works with Noahlink Wireless if you have the Marvel according to the audiologist so again nothing to do with the iCube II, it’s software based.

You’re thinking too much into this. You’re making this thread into something complicated.

1 Like

Software based? So your hearing aids got bricked by Target 8, and the bricking has nothing to do with iCubeII? Really?

Wait a minute? Shouldn’t everyone try putting a stop to this software based bricking of hearing aids by reverting back to Target 6.2? Whoa, wait another minute? I don’t think that Target 6.2 can program Paradise hearing aids. What can we do?

My logic that I just stated is Silly, huh? Your logic is too. Because you are leaving out the hearing aid bricking event, in order to make an equally silly point that it’s software based.

Read again and then you may understand.

How can it be an iCube II issue when the same happens to Marvels and NL Wireless?!

Like I said before, I was talking about the Marvels. Mentioned nothing to do with Paradise.

The audiologist was only helping me with my V70 and M70!

Are you saying that Target 8 (using Noahlink Wireless) can brick your hearing aids? Of, course not! You are ignoring the bricking event to bolster your argument.

Dear Readers; Move on. Nothing to see here. That is, until your hearing aids get bricked by a going-obsolete proprietary hearing aid programming device, namely iCubeII.

No I’m just passing on information from an audiologist of nearly 40 years!!!

He’s more likely to be correct than a user like you! I realise you have a lot of info but come on, 40 years of experience!!

You’re the only one who’s not understanding this situation!!