Hats for BAHA

I will soon be getting a BAHA. I will not have any hearing in my right ear and will wear a HA in the left. This will be done after a up coming Cancer Surgery that will take most or all of my ear. As I sit here waiting I come up with all kinds of ideas to manage my life after surgery and radiation are done with. Has anyone converted a favorite hat with a hole in tt so that you can wear the hat with the BAHA. I assume the BAHA willl not work if covered. Will have many more ?’s as time goes on and hope you all can help.

I am not familiar with the BAHA implant. It does have a lot of similarities to the cochlear implants.
So thinking in that direction there should be many choices for hats and caps once implanted.
The adjustable caps work well for me.

1 Like

You have obviously discussed this with your ENT. Did you discuss the Oscia system? This is the latest BAHA on the market. If you had the Oscia, it’s fairly flat on the scull. It doesn’t have an abutment. With this any hat would fit a lot better than the BAHA.

With the BAHA any hat that is a loose in the scull part should fit. I wear a beanie in the winter which covers my ears and processor and I don’t have any issues with hearing. In the summer I just wear a loose hat with a floppy brim.
@Raudrive when you have your K2 on what sort of cap/hat do you wear?

The only thing I wear on my head with the K2 processors is a stretch type stocking cap typically in winter. The implants are right where ball caps ride so I don’t wear them with the K2’S.

From what you are saying the OP should not have issues with hays and caps.
Thanks

1 Like

Feedback can be an issue with BAHAs and hats as they work like hearing aids rather than cochlear implants.

Etsy have BAHA hats tho.

UK link but I’m sure US would have some as well.

I have the Osia. I find the Sunday Afternoons sun hat to provide really, really excellent sun protection, AND I can wear it without feedback issues with the Osia processor on. Moreover, it reduces wind noise. But that’s not that much of an issue with me.

The Sunday Afternoons hat is a bit dorky. Well, so am I. What looks worse is cancer surgery on your face.

1 Like

So I saw my audiologist today and had my last hearing test before surgery. The audiologist recommended the Pronto 5 Super power as it will work better and have less feed back than other Baha’s. The only downside I see is that it is bigger and sticks out farther than some of the others. I will stay that the trial one on the head band really worked well except for the squealing noises when I tried to cover it so wearing any kind of hat to cover my ear will be a problem that I guess I will have to learn to live with. Still like to hear from anyone who wears their receiver under any kind hat or maybe even a French foreign cap with sun flaps.as I find a lot of lady”s with abutments under their long hair.

1 Like

I just found out what a Sunday Afternoon hat is. I hope it will also work with the PRONO 5 SUPER POWER as I cannot have the Osia because of the type of ear surgery I am having…

1 Like

I made the mistake of getting a Cochlear Max6, it was awful. The feedback was horrendous and wind was horrendous as well. I trialed the Ponto 5 superpower and it seemed far superior than the Cochlear Max6. So i am just waiting for a date to get the surgery for abutments. When i trialed the Ponto, it seemed like there was more oppotunity to wear a hoodie, or possibly a loose fitting beanie. But you never know until you actually have the abutment and device attached. Good luck with yours. Hopefully I’ll have my Pontos soon too.