Hands-free MFI for Oticon More.. any updates?

Earlier in 2021 Apple announced hands-free capability for compatible hearing aids as part of IOS 15. If I recall, Oticon said that the Oticon More 1’s would be “upgradable”.

What i didn’t know is that according to this article it seems Starkey and ReSound have already released hands-free MFI models. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is anyone aware of any update from Oticon on whether an upgrade to the Oticon More 1’s is in the works and expected timeline?

I searched for a while in the forum for an update and did not find one. Apologies in advance if I’ve missed it.

Thank you.

2 Likes

The More aids are firmware updated but as of yet haven’t been updated for hands free use. My audiologist has called me in for an appointment on the 26th of January, I will ask if he has heard of any more updates

4 Likes

I can confirm Starkey Evolv and ReSound ON utilize HA mics for phone calls.
I recently demo’d ReSound and am currently testing Starkey Evolv, the hands-free feature works in both.

1 Like

Many thanks for confirming.

How’s the quality and experience?

That is nice to hear. What is the firmware version for this? I figured it would have to be part of a release.

Quality of outgoing audio is good in both cases.

1 Like

Evolv AI 2400 firmware 6.11.0.8
Sorry, I no longer have ReSound HAs to check firmware version.

MrAerodynamic I see you are from the west coast so then there apparently is a version of hands free MFI for ReSound here in the USA… if possible when you are finished demoing the starkey HA’s and go back your audi could you please ask him what version was on the ReSound ones?? thx

From the Oticon More website data information

More connections. More conversations. More life.

Staying connected to family and friends is more important than ever. With Oticon More, you also get a wide range of connectivity options for a high-quality listening experience in everyday situations so you can go through your day with more confidence and convenience.

• Direct streaming from iPhone® and select Android™ devices*

• Make hands-free calls from any smartphone or connect a remote microphone with ConnectClip

• Stream sound directly from your TV with Oticon’s TV adapter

• Use Oticon ON app for easy, discreet control over the hearing aid from your fingertips

*Android devices need to support ASHA to allow direct connectivity to Oticon More. Please visit Oticon.com/support/compatibility for more information.

Okay just got an email from my Audiologist, coming this May all MFI hearing aid manufacturers will be having completely hands free calling. And the word at this time is that the Oticon rep for our VA clinic believes that the More aids will get a firmware update to make it happen.

2 Likes

Soooo… translation: hopefully sometime before 2023? :rofl:

2 Likes

Definitely Maybe.

WH

Many thanks for passing on the info.

Hopefully some time this year. :slightly_smiling_face:

Starkey, in the Evolv 2400, have made the choice of mic between the HAs or the phone your choice and user selectable/changeable. What they have yet to do is to put an answer/hang up on the double tap feature. It is my understanding that this is on the drawing board, but timing is unclear. Therefore, you have to initiate the call and hang up either with Siri or by hand. This is not a full hands free execution at this point. I understand when they do upgrade the firmware to allow for this, you will have to get your AuD to do the upgrade.

ETA: I just got my Evolv 2400 RIC R HAs today. By all accounts, the call quality using the HA mics is very good. THBS, I have been in a quiet office environment for the day. I suspect that a noisier environment may necessitate using the phone mic. Time will tell.

1 Like

Good point on the answer/hang up capability directly on the HA buttons. Probably more useful than changing programs on the MORE since they only cycle through and its easier to just use the app if you have more than a couple of programs. I used to prefer the mute button on the HAs but i understand that is not an option now.

I just want to be able to walk around without the phone in my hand while on a call. It might end up being a minor improvement.

Glad that the quality is good. After all, it should be if those mics are meant to help compensate for hearing loss.

Exciting…I can hardly wait!
Please post immediately it becomes available…I’ll do the same if I spot it first!
:sunglasses: :speaking_head:

According to this article, February 24th in the US. Latest Oticon Hearing Aids Support 2-Way Hands-Free Streaming for iPhone and iPad

1 Like

More than likely the ones of us that get our aids from the VA will have to wait until after the first of May contracts go live to get the updates.

1 Like

Very cool to see this announcement drop! Hopefully, 1) the updates actually roll out somewhat close to the announced timeframe, and 2) I do hope there will be an option to toggle the use of your HA mics vs phone mic in case you are somewhere with a bit of background noise. I believe Starkey did that with their aids, and I know the Phonaks don’t appear to have that option which caused some inconveniences occasionally.

1 Like

I really don’t care that much about hands free.