Good Experience at Costco

I first got hearing aids around 2015…ReSound Linx 2. When I got my aids in 2015, I was not offered the chance to compare brands while I was in the audiology office.

One of my aids needs repair so I decided to go to Costco to trial some new hearing aides. Being a comparison shopper and lover of technology, I was excited to trial something new.

The Costco audiologist (not just a fitter) was very thorough and unrushed as she ask me questions and did various hearing tests. She noted a conductive loss in my left ear and required my ENT to sign off on it, which he did.

My audiologist wanted me to try Resound Preza and one other brand that I would pick. So I also tried the KS9. I walked around the store for 10 or 15 minutes with each brand and I could not really notice any difference. The only difference is that the Prezas sounded a little brighter when I was talking with the audiologist. Both the KS9 and the Preza had open domes.

The audiologist said the Preza has more range and ability in supporting severe to profound high frequency hearing loss. She said they would give me some buffer if my hearing further declines.

There was a part of me that wanted to override her recommendation and try the KS9…because the KS9 automatic program switching feature might be superior to anything the Preza’s ability to adjust. But I went with her recommendation and got the Prezas. I have not picked them up yet.

My audiologist did lots of tests including REM and she spent lots of unrushed time with me, even though she is very busy. The service was excellent…much better than the ENT affiliated audiologist I had in 2015,

I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has worn the KS9 or the Marvel in terms of how valuable and effective the automatic program switching is, and if anyone has trialed both the KS9 abd the Preza.

I don’t do much streaming from my phone but I have ordered the ReSound TV streamer to see if that is helpful.

Judging by phonak and resound original programming sw, resound has only noise switching per environment whilst phonak has full program switching.
Check this 3 Must Have Hearing Aid Features in 2020

I have paradises (next gen), and I’ve trialed marvels and I really enjoy this automatic program switching. For most of the time it really does good job, and ability to fine tune more things than just noise control (soft noises, mic directionality, feedback control, sudden noises block, not to mention ability to change gain per frequency per program beside predefined changes), I appreciate. (eg your fitter can program this stuff).

Also check what folks shared about autosense, there’s a recently active topic about it, only a few people weren’t happy with it.

If you’re not bound by your phone OS, and you’re curious, I’d try both. Especially test them both in noisy situations where you have to understand someone. I think that’s where we either like aids or not like.

I didn’t like resound programming sw, and this one base approach, plus if you decide for DIY, KS9 aren’t locked and can be modified with phonak sw, while I think prezas are locked.

Receivers on phonak should cover your loss, I think they should go to 100?

Blacky I really appreciate your feedback! Yes, I will take your suggestion and trial both the Resound and KS9 hearing aides at the same time. I am quite interested in DIY programming for my aides. I do have an IPhone.

The automatic program switching seems like a very valuable feature. If I go from a quiet environment to a noisy environment, often I am unable to take out my phone and adjust the program because I am around people that need my attention.

It would be nice to have program that will help me hear my wife when she tries to have conversations with me in the house when we are not in the same room:)

As to the KS9, assuming it is similar to the Phonak Marvel…I thought I read on a forum somewhere that its possible to connect the aid directly to a TV that has bluetooth without needing a KS9 streamer box connected to the TV? I asked my audiologist about this and she said that only TVs manufactured in the past two years have to ability to send out (vs receive) bluetooth signals.

Hope all is well in Germany!

There is, it is called ‘honey, please come here’ :rofl:

No I mean, unless we were yelling, we couldn’t understand each other from separate rooms, when I had normal hearing. And then I often see that people with hearing aids want this.

I forgot exact numbers, but I think it’s something like 10m distance for normal speech to drop to inaudible, for normal hearing people.

Just to put things into the perspective :slight_smile:

In that case, definitely check if prezas can be accessed on your own, or only through costco.

Just noise control should work automatically on prezas, if I remember correctly.
But oftentimes could be that you need more help than just more noise cancelling.

For that, would definitely be helpful to have your word recognition scores in quiet and noise, wrs, and also sentence in noise eg quicksin.
Quicksin or similar can tell you how much you/your brain struggle with comprehension in noise, eg somewhat or a lot.

With aids, in quiet, you should get same wrs as without them during testing (difference is how many db are sent). Until then, don’t leave the office, because your aids are nowhere to be decently fitted :slight_smile:

Also, program switching should also be available on aid button, at least ks9/marvels have the ability.

If TV has BT, that should work (I wouldn’t listen audi as to which TVs have BT though :joy:). However, BT connection drains battery a lot faster, on rechargeables BT eats 10% per hour while TV connector eats around 3%.
However if BT on TV isn’t the best, you might be annoyed with latency. Try and you’ll find out.

Not to mention that KS9 can have only one active BT connection, so if you’re watching TV, switching to BT call won’t be in an instant, at least wasn’t in my experience when switching between phone and laptop. Whereas switching from TV connector to BT from phone eg for call or notification is fast.

In any case, it’s worth trying and seeing what suits your lifestyle.

I’ll admit I’m biased because I’ve worn ReSound aids a long time, and currently wear ReSound Preza aids from Costco.

Several years ago I bought Phonak Brio aids from Costco, and never really adjusted to them. Count me as one who did not like how “AutoSense” worked in those aids, particularly in the car with the radio on.

When I got my Preza aids the KS9 wasn’t out yet, but given they are Phonak aids I would be reluctant to try them, even given the cost savings over the Preza.

Thanks for that feedback. I currently have the top of the line Resound Linx 2. As my environment changes I have not noticed any automatic adjustments that I can hear. For example, if I go from a quiet environment to a noisy environment with lots of background noise, I will want to manually change the program from All Round to Restaurant. But sometimes I am unable to make this change due to the social situation I am in. Sure would be nice if it was automatic.

With your Prezas can you hear automatic adjustments the aids are making as your sound environment changes? Or do you find yourself manually changing the program?

I am not positive but the Preza aids might not be DIY friendly. The KS9 aids are DIY friendly.

Everything I’ve heard is that Resound aids from Costco are locked (not DYI friendly)

I Emailed my audiologist at Costco and explained I also wanted to trial the KS9 because of the automatic program switching. Here is part of her response:

“Just to clarify ALL hearing instruments today have automatic ‘program’ switching and ALL have the ability to have manual programs set. For some reason your provider chose to give you manual programs. I was not going to give you that option because of our discussions. One other thing to add about changing programs is that there are manual controls physically on the hearing instruments that are easily and quickly able to help you make changes.”

So now I am confused. She seems to be saying that the Resound Prezo can automatically switch from an All Around Program to a Restaurant Program? Is that true?

1 Like

From the Resound Quattro fitting guide:

“Soft Switching: Seamlessly enables and disables AutoScope/MultiScope Adaptive Directionality™
depending on the listening environment. The response can be either omnidirectional or directional, based on whether noise is present and the direction of speech in the listening situation”

“Environmental Optimizer II
Environmental Optimizer II allows specific gain adjustments for seven different environments, ensuring
the user receives optimal gain and noise reduction settings as the acoustic environment changes.
Classification is performed on a continuum if the listening situation has characteristics of more than
one listening environment. With binaurally fit wireless devices the hearing instruments will optimize
and synchronize the Environmental Optimizer II settings for a binaural fitting. If a patient experiences
difficulty in a particular listening environment adjust the sliders to assign environment specific gains
without requiring a manual program change.”

So perhaps the difference between the KS9 and the Resound is this…the KS9 will automatically make changes between difference preset programs, and the Resound will make adjustments without changing the preset program. Apparently my very experienced audiologist is not sold on the benefits of automatic program switching. 3 Must Have Hearing Aid Features in 2020

2 Likes

This fits with my understanding. All hearing aids from the major companies have some sort of universal or automatic program that make adjustments of some sort with the intent being that the user can ignore the hearing aids and let them do their thing. I’m sure there are subtle and perhaps not subtle differences in how they handle this task.

1 Like

This is simply not true.

It depends on the model of the aids, you definitely can buy new aids from top manufacturers which are simple and don’t have any automatic in them. I forgot exact model number, but unitron moxi something doesn’t have anything automatic in them.

Also, oticon I think it was, explicitly says they don’t have automatic switching of programs… If I’m not mistaken.

And your fittter isn’t the one who says which programs you should have or try, you are (unless you asked for advice which programs to get).

Wtf? You’re paying big money and they think they should have a final say which features or programs you’re allowed to have on your aids?! Or in your case, not allowed.

How would you know if you’d like something / have use for it if you haven’t tried it?

Change the fitter. I would if someone would behave like this. Their service is to fit me, not mine to fit them.

Part of providing professional service is being flexible about our individual wants and needs and not insisting on knowing what they think is best for us. Suggestion is one thing, but refusing to do something you want and makes sense is another. And this part definitely sounds like refusing to me. Uf, made me angry :rage:

Maybe good route would be to find a fitter who is cooperative and not an audi who isn’t.

About resound and its sw, environmental stuff is from what I gather just noise cancelling based on noises in the environment.
Soft switching isn’t quite clear to me, I didn’t study sw for too long and I haven’t dig deeper.

What is true is that they don’t have clear programs between which aids can switch, it’s that environmental thing that works on its own plus what you found, mic directionality. But I can’t recall if you have any influence on it (eg choosing steps), or it is just toggle between the two options.

After looking for months at target (phonak’s sw), I found starkey and resound a bit of a mess and without enough information what’s going on, eg I didn’t like them.

1 Like

Stop badmouthing other manufacturers’ products because you’re too lazy to educate yourself about how they work. You’re just showing your bias and doing a disservice to other users who are trying to make an informed purchase decision.

4 Likes

I usually just leave my Prezas in the All Around program and forget I’m wearing aids. Every so often I’ll encounter a situation and switch to Restaurant or Music mode, but it’s very rare.

Restaurant mode kicks in noise suppression and speech focus, and Music mode opens things up so I can listen to music without feedback suppression kicking in.

As others have posted most aids will sense the environment they are in and adjust as necessary. I know my All Around program does, and prefer to stay in that progam as much as possible.

:rofl:

I never said I’m not biased, I definitely am, target is really nice piece od sw, I don’t hide my opinion.

I came armed with tons of knowledge and despite it, couldn’t figure out what exactly they mean or how it works looking at a software alone. That’s not my laziness, that’s bad UX. And I think such information is worth sharing. Especially if someone is thinking about DIY, resound’s sw won’t be a nice learning ground.

This is the problem. A lot of users on this forum don’t realize you’re a self-styled expert. Someone who expresses their personal beliefs and opinions as if they are certainly correct and cannot be doubted or are facts.

4 Likes

I shared this link with my audiologist to help explain my interest in the KS9 aides.

She replied and said the post is “sales based” from a company that is pushing Phonak. I feel a little silly for drinking the cool aid lol

So I will trial the ReSound Preza, and if I am not happy then I will try the KS9. My audiologist does not recommend trialing two aids at the same time because it confuses the brain. In any event, a additional appointment would be needed to dispense the KS9. So I will cool my jets and try the ReSound Prezas first.

So you can notice (hear) automatic changes when you in the the All Around program?

I didn’t get the feeling they’re pushing phonak, their blog is full of very useful and objective posts which focuses on the proper fitting process. This post is just a cumulative stuff of features, IMO.

But, from her behaviour we could conclude the same, that she is pushing resounds, no? :stuck_out_tongue:

Parallel trials are definitely confusing, I agree with that. Also, if you’re happy with first aid and they cover all your situations, wants and needs, I am of opinion that you don’t HAVE to test others. If you’re curious about something in specific, definitely take notes for first aid about that specific stuff and if you decide to test another one for that specific stuff, you will be in better shape to objectively compare.

Also, see how good job she does, maybe it will be great and you’ll have no desire for DIY, so it won’t bother you that prezas are locked.

Take a lot of notes.

1 Like

I believe she said that she has no financial incentives to promote any particular brand. I have never tried DIY…I like the idea of having that control, but a few follow up visits to the audiologist for fine tuning should provide a good result. At my last appointment when I walked around the store first with the KS9 and then with the Resound…what I should have done instead is asked to test each hearing aid brand in background noise while I was sitting in her fitting room. That was I could evaluate how the hearing aid adjusts to the noise, and my actual ability to hear in the noise. Maybe at my next appointment when she dispenses the ReSounds she might humor me and allow me to do that test. Yes the Australian site does seem to be fairly objective. It could be possible they get have chosen to buy Phonak in volume to get a better wholesale price and thus they are pushing the automatic switching advantage. Or maybe not.