GN Resound Smart 3D app

Rather than start a new thread, I looked for an old one to add to.

Today a new version of the ReSound Smart 3D app is availabile for both Android and iOS. The update purpose “…includes improvements to stability and connectivity” according to the update blurb for both phone OS’s.

Edit_Update: although I’ve said this before wtih other 3D app updates, the smartphone app is now definitely VERY snappy and maintains connectivity with my Quattro’s very well - there’s hardly a pause to reload the app to HA connection when I switch to the app - so everything’s good with my iPhone 6S and iOS 14.7.1 - until the next iOS update/upgrade! :roll_eyes:

I wonder how long it will be before the Jabra Enhance Pro app is updated.

1 Like

I have found a bug with the new version of the Smart 3D app I think. If you disconnect your HAs from the iPhone, for example by walking away from your phone and out of Bluetooth range, and then you walk back into range, the phone and app reconnects, but the app displays the active programme as being All Around, whether it is that or not. This didn’t happen with the last version of the app.

This is with Quattros and an iPhone 12 Pro on IOS 14.7.1

1 Like

Interesting! I just discovered something else about the app - perhaps it’s always been there but it’s related to Favorites, which I only started using recently. I have a Favorite that I created for noise reduction. It’s a “child” of the All-Around program. It’s set to have noise reduction on STRONG (as high as possible) and turn the volume down to a relative setting of 2. One would think when I go back to the All-Around program that since it’s a default, basic program that it’s settings would be restored. But they’re not. I have to slide the volume back up and go into Sound Enhancer and hit RESET to put noise reduction back on its default AUTOMATIC setting. So an easier way to jump back to the default settings of a basic program is to save the basic program with its default settings as a Favorite. Paradoxically, I can reverse my Noise Reduction Favorite with one tap on the Favorite that’s just a straight copy of the basic All-Around program. Perhaps programmatically it’s some idiosyncrasy of classes and inheritance. Maybe the logic is a default program always retains the settings it last had while the 3D app is still active and a Favorite always applies to the default program whatever current settings it has “remembered” from the default program - so a Favorite isn’t separate; it’s just an engine or tool for changing the current settings on a default program?

Interesting. I still have the last version of the app on my ipad so I’ll see how favourites behaves on that.

Ok I did that. I don’t see a way to tell which version of the app you have, but I am still being invited to update to the latest, so it will be the version that was current a few days ago.

Anyway favourites behaves exactly as you describe on that version too, so it’s not new with version 1.17.0

1 Like

jim, yes the app has always been that way with the favorites… I found that out a couple years ago so I set up 2 fav.'s and they are both S/U from the all around prog settings. … 1 for indoors and 1 for outdoors … my indoor fav is set with more bass and less treble and the outdoors is a duplicate of the original all around prog. … using GPS settings they change on there own when I leave the house and then return home this way you don’t have to go into the all around prog. and. sound enhancer and hit re-set every time

1 Like

I had to learn how to find the app version # from someone else on the forum but it’s easiest just to find an old post of mine: Updating ReSound software

1 Like

Thanks Jim! That’s something interesting to know.
Best David

1 Like

Jim, I have the jabra app, which is effectively the same app, and noticed the same thing. I created a favorite of the all around with wind noise on strong and wanted to switch back and forth without having to enter the app. No go :(.

1 Like

A new version of ReSound Smart Fit fitting software, v1.12, also became available as of yesterday(8/31/21). Interesting if there were any sort of firmware update only available through fitting software as firmware 1.20.1 for my Quattro’s was.

I have installed SmartFit 1.12 It still shows my Quattros as having the latest available firmware. SmartFit says it’s 0.45.0.0, but the Resound app now shows the installed firmware as 1.0.45, so it’s all a bit confusing!

Smart fit? But this app is for customer?

SmartFit is the fitting software the audiologist uses to adjust the Resound hearing aids. It’s not something the patient needs to know about, but quite a lot of people in this forum do adjust their own hearing aids. You have to know what you are doing though.

1 Like

And download? Where? Easy use smartfit?

The forum owners don’t want to encourage self-fitting. For hearing aids as medical devices, only trained and certified people are supposed to do so. At the very least, it’s a gray area to do it yourself. And if you don’t carefully approach it with backups, etc., you could muck up your HA settings and not know how to undo what you’ve done-potentially harm your hearing if you crank too much power to your eardrums, etc. Also, in self-fitting you can’t do REM, so you lose any potential benefit there. The best situation might be to have an HCP who understands your desire to experiment and at least tolerates or humors your efforts and offers advice - might be hard to find such a person but paradoxically enough my audi, whom I found through buying my HA’s via TruHearing, has been pretty positive about a few relativelyl easy, minor tweaks that I made to her initial fit - change the experience level to ReSound’s version of a full “non-linear” fit and switching the fitting algorithm from ReSound’s Audiogram+ to the open source algorithm NAL-NL2 invented by the Australian National Labs.

If you’re interested, you should sign up for free-to-audit Audiology Online courses and take those first. Powerful filter to find ReSound courses (switch OEM name in URL to find courses for other brands): Audiology CEUs | All Courses | AudiologyOnline. To find a link to fitting software, go to the DIY section via that CATEGORY, find the thread “DIY - Self Programming, How to Find Fitting Software” and go to post #114 on Oct. 19th by menglxs (clicking on the link icon associated with each post shows you the # of a post). BTW, since about Smart Fit v1.7, the only way to update to a new version (for me) has been to download a complete copy of the new version. Besides doing a lot of learning on Audiology Online, looking for help in the DIY section, you’ll need to get a Noahlink Wireless on eBay. At the time I got mine it was $250 with $30 shipping from Korea but they may have gotten cheaper since then. And you need a Windows computer. Smart Fit only runs under Windows. There is an earlier HA communication device just called “Noahlink” - WRONG device. If you decide to give it a try, be sure to get the Noahlink Wireless and not anything else of similar name.

With Amazon Prime I can get a Noahlink Wireless for $199 with free shipping.

1 Like

And there is now one for $169.99 with an additional 5% off (something like -$8.50): Amazon.com: HIMSA Noahlink Wireless Bluetooth Hearing Aid Programmer : Health & Household

I think I’d pay the extra $30 to get it from Amazon Prime next day (and free return if needed) versus a three to four week lead time.

@jim_lewis Jim, was the software update for your aids as of yesterday’s date? I was at the audi last Thursday and I think she updated the firmware then. I have a call into her about the new software update for the 3D Smart App where I was asked my permission and it looked like it was for an audi to do remote programming? I have one Quattro 9 (I have a cochlear implant in the other ear). I was going to ask if she needed to do anything regarding the software. I guess I could also ask if I need another firmware update.

Hi, Debbie. About 2 days ago I got the Smart 3D app, then earlier as described in this thread, I noticed there was also a fitting software update but I haven’t done anything further with that yet. David Hendon did try the new version of Smart Fit, though, but said that it didn’t update his HA firmware. He’s still on something akin to 1.0.45. We’re all pretty confused. Some folks have reported months ago getting firmware version 1.20.10. I was never able to get that through the Smart 3D app update process but when I played around with Smart Fit v1.11, I was offered and installed that update! So it’s crazy that David has been through Smart Fit v1.11 and v1.12 and is still on 1.0.45. So as David says, so far the result for us all is mass confusion, AFAIK. Nobody has offered us poor souls a good explanation of what’s going on and whether there is some rationality behind it or it’s just a turn of a random kaleidescope! :roll_eyes: (so many emoji - tough choice to find one to sum it up!). I think just about everyone though is finding an update for the Smart 3D app either in the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.

1 Like