GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

Just to be clear on what I was responding to in my reply to you above, Anita, in your original post you seemed to suggest that you thought, somehow, that the ReSound One (actually the Jabra equivalent) at Costco would not work for you because you had severe to profound loss. So I was pointing out to you that the Jabra, fitted with a standard HP or UP receiver instead of the MP M&RIE receiver could potentially fit a severe to profound loss, although typically for profound losses if one doesn’t go for a CI, one might want a more powerful BTE device fitted with an airtube, not just an ITE wired receiver.

However, in your subsequent reply to my comments related to your remarks on severe to profound loss, you say the following:

So I think that’s one thing your fitter at Costco could definitely clarify for you: exactly what your loss actually is and what particular models of Costco HA’s with what receivers are capable of accomodating that loss and giving you the best possible hearing results.

I picked up the Jabra premium charger today at Costco. It was $199.99 plus tax, and arrived in 8 days from when I ordered. Comparing it to the ReSound charger for my Preza aids, the ReSound charger has the ReSound logo on the front, is micro-usb, and the hearing aids wells aren’t as deep. The Jabra charger is usb-c like the standard charger, has no logo markings on it, and the hearing aid wells are slightly deeper. The Jabra charger had zero charge on it when it arrived, but will charge the aids while it is charging, same as the ReSound charger.

While I was at Costco I scheduled an appointment for July 28 to start the process of getting custom molds, and ultimately trying custom molds with the M&RIE receivers. I anticipate late August before I have any update on that, and whether or not it resolves the feedback issues and allies me to switch from MP receivers and closed domes to M&RIE receivers and custom molds.

More to come.

2 Likes

I have an appointment at Costco Saturday. I will get a clarification on Jabra or (Resound One.) My fitter told me last December that Resound One or Jabra at Costco, didn’t know it was Jabra, would not work for me because it’s only for moderate hearing loss. I was still in my six month return window.

Thought I had also read that in Resound literature. Again this morning I was unable to hear someone less than 10 feet from me at a meeting although they had their head slightly turned away from me.

I will also tell my fitter that it is getting to the point that I am thinking of not even meeting in a gathering anymore because my hearing is so poor.

Let’s see what he says Saturday.

1 Like

Your hearing loss is not that difficult looking at your audiogram. Most hearing aids should work for you unless you have other issues.
Most aids at Costco should fit your loss.

Good luck.

Had the Jabra for 6 days now. Had a rough time with it over the weekend (posted about it in the Jabra vs KS10 thread) but all is good now. Do not have the M&rie, as the fitter said it would probably cause probllems for me. All seems to be working and I am understanding speech better. I’ve streamed a few times from my iPhone, but I don’t really care about that as much as most seem to. Glad I got the battery model as it suits me better than rechargable. I went in wanting the KS10’s, but so far I am liking these, even though they were $400 more.

I’m sorry if I have on this forum given the impression that I’m shopping for new HA’s. I am not. You guys interact with so many people it is easy to get us mixed up.

My HA’s are only one year old so I will not be in the market for anything new. I think these Preza’s have been very good for me but what do I know as my last ones were Sonics and they had none of the features that the Preza’s have.

Will know more Sat.

I’m impressed so far with the Jabras. I got the model that uses the 312 battery as I like the smaller size and do not want rechargeable. I have them in 16 hours a day, so I expected 3 days battery life. I am starting my 6th 16 hour day this morning! I use them as hearing aids and do very little media streaming, but I am impressed.

The overall performance is good as well. Understanding conversations better and enjoying the “full sound” that I’ve missed for years. I do hate the flimsy “wire” from the aid to the receiver, but will take that up with the fittler at my apointment on July 30th. The fitter had problems getting the probe in my ears for the REM and putting the HA’s in because my ear canal makes sharp turns. The flimsy wire makes it difficult putting them in for me as well. Hope there is a more sturdy wire option.

7/11 Update: Got 5 hour short of a full week of 16 hour days. Very pleased.

That flimsy wire is the best you’ll do. My canals take a crazy bend too, but I eventually found a way to get the domes in place relatively easily.

2 Likes

@Fig I’m glad you are liking them. I ordered mine yesterday with the size 13 battery. We were able to reorder my custom molds (Prezzas) for the M&RIE. I’ll get them in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Keep us posted. I’m particularly interested in knowing more about your custom molds for the M&RIE and how to maintain them, change wax guards, and the like.

I have the rechargeable Jabras with MP receivers and closed domes now. I use a TV streamer at least 2 hours a day, and after 14-16 hours of overall use still have 60% charge left.

I do plan to try custom molds with M&RIE receivers in the next few weeks.

1 Like

I too am happy with the Jabras. I have a pair of the Phillips aids as well since I ordered them 3 weeks before the Jabras came out. Love batteries!!! My first out of town trip had me driving back 43 miles to get the damn charger. I always have batteries in my purse. Used the Phillips aids for 6 weeks before the correct Jabras arrived earlier this week; first pair had size 13 batteries. Don’t know what battery life will be but it doesn’t really matter. My left ear doesn’t play well with the dome it has but figure that’s minor. And of course they haven’t been tweaked yet. I like the sound which isn’t perfect but the app has allowed me to zero in on what needs changing. Plan to decide which set to return in about another month but think I’ll be keeping these. I also appreciate the small size compared to the rechargeable Phillips. Glad others like these aids as well.
elena

2 Likes

a question for you who use Jabra and Resound those hearing aids. Do they use something like Soundsense Ks10 or phonak hearing aids.

most similar to what Dr. Cliff is talking about

1 Like

The Jabra and ReSound aids have similar functionality, but use different terms for it. Phonak has AutoSense and markets it, whereas Jabra/ReSound have environmental adaptation, but don’t market it heavily. Jabra/ReSound market the All Access Directionality features.

I leave my Jabra aids in the All Around program, except when I am streaming, usually from a TV streamer, and prefer to not have to switch to other programs. I do have Ulta Focus, Restaurant, and Music programmed, but very rarely use them.

I wore Brio (Phonak from Costco) aids a while back, and didn’t feel like AutoSense worked as well as environmental adaptation does in ReSound aids. I recently tried KS10s, and didn’t like the mechanical sound. While they zeroed in on speech, I missed hearing the other sounds around me. The Jabra aids let me hear speech and the other sounds around me, and sound much more natural to me.

I recognize that I have a bias in favor of ReSound/Jabra aids, having worn them so long. I am one who just wants to put them on in the morning, let them do their thing, and put them away at night. So far that’s worked well for me.

6 Likes

My apologies for starting the Jabra v KS10 thread — I swear I searched for Jabra multiple times and came up empty.
ANYWAY, I had an appointment scheduled Monday to try/buy them, but the fitter (who sold me my KS10s) called yesterday & said she “cannot recommend” the Jabras and would not sell them!
Told her I REALLY wanted made-for-iPhone because the BT implementation is so superior — she didn’t know what MFI is (no surprise since it’s not touted as a feature — assume because they don’t want to dis the droid users). And Resound TV connectors are awesome (I have two) — the Phonak TV device is pretty much worthless for me (drops connection since I’m often over 20’ feet from it).
I asked about Resound-branded HAs. She insisted the KS10s were best for me & said she would not sell me Resounds and that she’d be happy to refund the KS10s. And suggested I try another Costco if I wanted Resound or Jabra.
Anybody have a similar experience??.

Is she the only fitter at this Costco?
This really surprises me about a Costco fitter.

3 Likes

I was stunned! She said nobody at that Costco would fit/sell the Jabra product. She DID say I could come in & demo it, but she wouldn’t sell it to me.

There are 3 other Costco’s within about 30 miles, so I guess I’ll try a different store…

1 Like

Are they boycotting the Jabra (Resound) aids? Interesting

1 Like

She said she wouldn’t sell me Resounds either. When I asked why, she said she had reasons that she wasn’t going to go into. Hmm…

Interesting. I went into my Costco wanting KS10’s, and the fitter said Jabra/Resound would be better for me. She also said they get very few returns with Resounds, but high percentage returns with others including the KS10’s.

LIke in everything else I guess people just have their biases.

Really hard to know what’s behind this. I asked my Costco fitter and he likes the Jabra. I can imagine (note: imagine, I’m not claiming that this is what happened) that somebody had more returns than desired and they created a convoluted story to explain why they didn’t want to sell a hearing aid.

1 Like