GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

Especially with the idea that different people like different HA’s for different reasons, it’s crazy to discourage someone from trying a brand of HA offered for sale. Why supposedly offer a brand but then turn people away who want to try it? I’d be inclined to write Costco HQ and ask what’s going on at store XYZ?! What does the trial and satisfaction guarantee mean if you’re going to discourage people and turn them away from the git-go? Presumably somebody high up at Costco determined each model being offered met Costco’s quality standards and then to have individual fitters or groups at fitters at a local store say that they’ve determined otherwise as long as Costco is nationally sticking to their offerings is malarkey!

3 Likes

At my local Costco they said that people have so far been happy with the KS10.0 aids. I have appointments set up for August, but my original HA guy is out on extended medical leave and I’ll have to settle for one of the people he trained.

I am currently using Widex Unique 330, my first hearing aids, for 4 years. For the past 1 year, I’ve used them with custom molds. Overall, I consider them adequate. Speech comprehension is much better, but still problematic, and I rely on Subtitles quite a bit for TV and Movies. Some hardware issues with them as well, with Left, and more rarely Right, just turning off spontaneously. They don’t support streaming directly. I also have a love/hate relationship with the Molds, with the occlusive nature being problematic, along with their accentuating my voice.

So I’m basically looking for something new, better, with direct streaming capabilities. I visited Costco yesterday for an evaluation (Audiogram added to my Profile), and she recommended either KS10 (which I was expecting), and also the Jabra M&RIE. I trialed them both in-store, and while this is obviously a very limited way of evaluating, the Jabra did seem to have a more ‘open’ sound.

I find the concept of the M&RIE very attractive, in order to provide better spatial localization. I have a very sophisticated Home Theater (160" Screen, JVC NX7 Projector, and Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Sound System), and localization with my Widex is not ideal.

1. For those wearing the Jabra, how effective do you find the addition of the in-ear Microphone in refining spatial localization of sound?

2. What factors would make one lean toward the KS10 vs the Jabra?

3. Should I be concerned that the Jabra is a brand-new product, although it is apparently based on the more well established Resound One line?

4. Any other variables that I should be considering when choosing between the KS10 and Jabra?

Thanks.

With M&RIE receivers out of the gate you have 50% more microphones to help with spatial cues - and it shows with surround sound systems as well as walks outside - bird sounds are now distinctly more directional. M&RIE minimizes wind noise issues as well. Transformational for myself was the ability to use on the ear headphones, traditional telephone headsets vs over-the-ear without compromise. The other benefit is the “Ultra Focus” program which uses beam forming to lift voice out of noisy backgrounds.

These are essentially re-branded Resound One’s, I reviewed the settings on Resound’s fitment software (used to fit the Jabra’s) and I did not notice a difference in the Jabra or the highest-end Resound One in terms of technology levels - so this in no way is a new product, it is a new “Brand”.

I would encourage you to give them a try (in particular the M&RIE receivers), there are some practical limits to the amount of gain with the M&RIE receivers needed to possibly meet your prescriptive targets, but assuming they can be overcome I think you will be impressed. The Jabra’s can be used with traditional receivers, but at that point they are at similar capabilities as the other HAs.

These are made for iPhone HAs, which may be an advantage to you, the KS10s are not.

1 Like

I appreciate the helpful reply, @BearInStPete. This sounds encouraging.

Regarding streaming, I’m all Android, and my Note 8 is running Android 9. According to GN’s documents, Android 10 may be required for direct streaming. They list the Note 8 as compatible with the BeMore app and Tuner app, but it isn’t on the list for direct streaming. This could be a problem.

Do you (or anyone) know whether or not my Galaxy Note 8 (running Android 9) will support direct streaming, or would an intermediate device be required?

Thanks.

Your Note 8 with Android 9 will not support direct streaming with Resound ASHA compatible products. Intermediate device would be required. If direct streaming with Note 8 is wanted, only option is KS9 or KS10 or Marvel or Paradise line (or some related products: Unitron, etc.)

2 Likes

Thanks @MDB. That confirms what I’m finding. I’m looking at upgrading my phone (been casually thinking about that anyway, but now there may be more of a reason to do it).

Bummer…

If you do upgrade phone, I’d go from Resound’s list of phones. There are many phones with Android 10 that are NOT ASHA compatible.

2 Likes

Interesting. Resound shows this list of compatible Android phones for direct connection:

Samsung S20+
Samsung S20
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung Galaxy S10e
Samsung Galaxy Z flip
Samsung Note 10+
Samsung Note 10

The more recent phones (Note 20, S21 series) are not listed. It’s hard to imagine that these newer phones would not be compatible, while older phones would. But who knows.

So anyone here with the Jabra or Resound One with Note 20, S21 and current generation Galaxy Phones? If so, do you have direct connection for streaming?

I have seen this too with Cochlear. Seems the list is not updated as quickly as needed.
Surprised to not see Google phones on that list.

There are Google phones on the list:

Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 3a

I just listed the Samsung Galaxy ones, since those are the ones I’d considered. My omission.

1 Like

I think s21 is safe. Other models like a52, don’t know. OnePlus and mfrs other than google seem iffy.

I just found another link, which is more recent:

This list includes the S21, Note 20, and a variety of others.

1 Like

It can also be provider specific Verizon didn’t support the S9

Is there a specification to check for any given provider/phone to confirm compatibility? I’d sure as heck hate to buy a new phone, and find what you’re indicating for Verizon’s S9.

The thing to verify is if the phone is ASHA (Android Streaming Hearing Aid) compatible. Not sure what the deal with the Verizon S9 was, but it didn’t get updated to Android 10 and hence was incompatible. @Raudrive may be able to provide additional details as it was his phone.

1 Like

So isn’t it the version of Bluetooth module that make some of these phones incompatible as well, like you need 5.0 or higher?

Yes, needs to be BT 5 and higher and Android 10 and higher, BUT there are lots of phones that have both that are not ASHA compatible.

1 Like

One difference between this and the KS10 is that the Jabra uses your phone’s microphone for phone calls, while the KS10 doesn’t. So the Jabra isn’t fully ‘hands-free’ in that sense.

On the other hand, my wife has KS9’s, and in phone calls, if she is doing anything while we’re talking, the external sounds are extremely loud and harsh (running a faucet, putting away a few dishes, etc.). It’s really pretty bad, so she really has to just not do anything to avoid my hearing a lot of noise.

Any comments on the ‘real-world’ use of the Jabra’s with phone calls, having to have the phone in-hand, would be appreciated.

I enacted the Costco 5 yr warranty on my 3.75 yr old Resound Fortes. I think they were moisture damaged from heavy perspiration over the years. The Fortes were ultra light weight behind the ear models. Being an RN during the Covid era there is a lot of interplay around my ears with my glasses, sometimes safety glasses, hearing aids, paper mask ear loops, and then jamming a stethoscope into my ears.

Fixing the Fortes will cost me about $130 per ear out of pocket, which may be refundable from Costco (my Fortes were replaced once, already, under the warranty, which will factor in). At any rate, I’m getting new HAs and these will serve as a good backup pair.

When I got to Costco, Lewisville, Tx, with no appointment other than phone notification, I was surprised that they had a pair of “loaner” Jabras waiting for me! The tech did a quick setup for me setting them to the same settings from the audio gram on file. She updated my iPhone app to work with the Jabras. I was surprised how loud and “tinny” the sound was and I was hearing my own voice much more than I was used to. I’m using the iPhone equalizer to tone them down to a comfortable level. She experimented with a more occlusive dome but I was not used to the loudness of my voice so we went back to the open dome. After a week of wearing them I’m adapting more to the sound. This is only temporary but a good experiment.

Compared to the Fortes, the Jabras are bigger, more heavy duty, the battery is bigger than the 312, the battery doors have a better closer and don’t fall open at odd times, and the in ear receivers are bigger, causing a little irritation to the left, so I’m wearing it without the dome, and as mentioned, louder. I’m going to get the new HAs at Costco and withe the “$1000 per ear each 3 years” from my insurance, price at Costco is not a factor. I just need to hear better for my job.

1 Like