GN launching a Jabra branded M&RIE product at Costco

Keep us posted. I bought the Prezas in March and am still in my trial period. If there’s something newer then I’ll trial them

Lots of links on these Aids further up this thread….

https://www.costco.com/jabra-hearing-aids.html

1 Like

https://www.jabra.com/supportpages/jabra-enhance-pro-pm#/#300-enhance-pm861-li

More info at the link above, including a user guide. The guide is branded Jabra, and does discuss the Tinnitus Sound Generator (TSG) that can be set up for the Enhance Pro.

It appears to me that these are rebranded ReSound One aids that are NOT de-featured.

Jabra is GN’s consumer brand, known for headsets and wireless earbuds. I presume GN chose to rebrand these as Jabra for Costco to try to preserve the market, and high pricing, for the ReSound One from audiologists.

3 Likes

Just a generic question regarding high frequency loss. If you look at my audiogram I have a pretty classic ski slope loss that appears quite significant above 2K. I have a pair of Starkey Livio’s, and with frequency lowering find my hearing greatly improved particularly fit the higher pitched female voice especially in an “echoey” environment. I have open domes and don’t think they take away from management of that high frequency loss. I like being aware of my surroundings and the open domes feel natural to me.

It took a few visits for tweaking with the usual to start out with horrendous crunch of opening a bag of potato chips or crunching up a piece of paper, but that was all easily corrected. If anything we had to play with dome sizes to get a good fit without slippage or struggle to get them placed.

Maybe I just got lucky with a good fit, but it seems like severe high frequency loss is not terribly difficult to address, unlike the severe loss of many here, and to do so without the need for molds or closed domes. I do not stream music with them as I hate the loss of bass (but hate the idea of closed domes just for that, and my headphones perform better than a HA ever will) they’re fine for phone calls, outdoor use and noisy environments. Speech is not as great when it’s very noisy but still not a big minus. I’m just curious on more experienced takes on it.

1 Like

Not sure what you’re specifically asking. Ski slope losses are common and fitters are used to them. They can still be challenging to fit. I started out with open domes but ended up with custom molds with fairly small vents. It’s all about finding the right balance between enough gain, limited feedback and tolerable occlusion. Glad yours are working for you.

I’m just trying to understand more, not just myself, but seeing how audiograms correlate across experiences. Not just the sense of loss, of course that I get, but in the corrections required to properly assist and restore better function. And to try and clarify it’s not all the fitting settings and curves, but rather what hardware capabilities can meet those needs.

Some people will appear to have audiograms relatively similar yet use very different solutions that meet their satisfaction. It doesn’t feel at all like a simple “here’s your audiogram and here’s an x aid with y features that we set and all’s well”. I guess it’s the trial and error aspect I’m playing with in my head versus a “if this is the curve, this is the solution “ in an almost mathematical manner.

I understand very well the need for an experienced knowledgeable fitter to achieve that solution, yet I wonder how, or even if, that process can be streamlined even for those with more challenging severe loss. You’re not only dealing with the frustration of the hearing loss, but the added frustration of finding a proper solution without a drawn out and expensive trial and error method.

I hope that makes some sense of my questions.

2 Likes

It largely depends on what one wants. It’s pretty easy to fit a high frequency loss with open domes and cut the high frequency gain until one doesn’t have feedback. It will likely be good enough as it will provide notable gain and still enough high frequency to be noticeable. Most people new to hearing aids don’t want too much high frequency as they complain about “transistor radio sound.” I wanted the high frequency prescribed by the fitting formula and I enjoy hearing high frequency sounds like my dog’s tags. If one is willing to give it time and is not too picky about “sound quality,” one can get used to just about anything. Or one can make it as complicated as one wants.

4 Likes

Don’t think there is any hands on experience on these aids yet. I was at Costco for the first adjustment on my 3 week old Phillips aids and my audiologist mentioned she hadn’t been trained on the new aids yet. I ordered the Jabras anyway so that I could compare them to the Phillips I’m currently using. Felt it was easier than returning the Phillips and then discovering I liked the Phillips sound better.

1 Like

I think some of “what’s the best fit??!,” may be like MDB or Raudrive alluded to previously in another thread. Hearing aids take some getting used to and a lot of people may prefer to keep going with the sound and the settings that they’ve been used to in the past. And why do some people like rock n’ roll and others classical music or jazz? X aid with Y features does not add to the same Z outcome for all listeners. Different brain perceptions for different folks, so the straight mechanical fit might be great for some users, terrible for others. Like behind-the-ear mics designed to reconstruct the average pinna effect but a lot of folks are off the average pinna effect…

3 Likes

For me if you look at my audiogram then look at my hearing aids as they are setup you would just shake your head, they don’t really match at all. My present Audiologist has accepted the fact but most past Audiologist have fought with me telling me I had to adjust to what they believe my aids should be set up as, and my speech understanding has always suffered for their decisions and demands. My previous audiologist was right out of school and at first wouldn’t give in to my needs and requests, but slowly I pushed her to listen to my needs and requests and my aids became slowly better for my needs. When I moved up to where I live now I was scared about starting over with a new Audiologist, so I asked my previous Audi to help me with this with documentation of what we had come up with. Believe me it did help but the paradigm of the aids had changed so we had to almost start over. I have found it is extremely important to find that Audiologist that is willing to listen and put away his/her preconceived ideas and work with me/you the patient.

5 Likes

Audiogram 5.24.21.pdf (501.5 KB)
I’m new to this forum and would very much appreciate your input. I’m at a critical juncture in deciding about my next hearing aids and I’m not very knowledgeable. My old hearing aids (Widex Dream D-PA 330 RIC S) died after 5+ years, and my private audiologist is moving from the area. The new audiologist who has purchased my former audiologist’s practice has provided me with Resound One HAs on a trial basis. I went to Costco today, met with a highly experienced hearing aid fitter (9 years with Costco) who suggests I try Jabra Enhance Pro PM. I’ve attached my current audiogram.

The cost differential between the two HAs is significant: the Resound One’s are about $6,000; the Jabra’s from Costco are less than $2,000. I could stretch to purchase the Resounds if the quality or service is much better, but my sense at this point is that I could get good service from either. I need to compare the two models.

I definitely want rechargeable batteries this time (both are rechargeable). I’m an avid birder and amateur naturalist, so my high frequency hearing loss greatly interferes with bird identification. The ability to determine directionality of bird calls is important to me, as is reduction of wind noise, since I cycle three days a week and want to be able to hear birds calls while cycling. Also enhancing my ability to understand conversations in crowded restaurants and my ability to distinguish consonants particularly vocalized by women is important.

Can anyone kindly provide me with any insight in how to distinguish between these two models of HAs and/or any other suggestions for what else I may consider?

Thank you so very much for any input you can provide.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for shearing your audiogram.

Looking at your audiogram I can say that most of Costco’s hearing aids would do well with you. We do have a very knowledgeable member who bought the Resound Jabra aids and has lots of good things to say about them. Reading this thread will help you understand.

I can also say the Costco KS10 aids are very nice, they might be worth testing also.

My wife is a birder so that kind of makes me one too. I wore Phonak aids prior to cochlear implants, they were very good about bringing in the high frequencies you described.

You have come to a great place to learn about your hearing loss and hearing aids.
Good luck

2 Likes

OTH, ferrisp wants to hear bird songs while cycling. Since the KS10’s are not supposed to be so great for wind noise, there might be a problem there. The good thing about going to Costco is you can return the HA’s within 180 days if you’re not satisfied so you should have ample time to find if any particular brand meets your birding needs in the field or when biking.

I’ve tried to compare the Jabra Enhance Pro aids to the Resound One version, but haven’t been able to find Jabra’s technical data sheet. What I did notice is the similarity in model numbers: Resound One comes in a 9 series and a 7 series, while the Jabras are an 8 series. Since Jabra’s brochure mentions “ultra-focus” which is also on the Resound 9 aids (not the 7), maybe the Jabras fit between the two Resound One versions. Or maybe it’s a rebranded 9? I wish they’d publish the data sheet so we could make a fair comparison. My Costco fitter doesn’t have the technical information either, but she’s trying to get it.

Thank you for your response, Raudrive. And thank you for pointing me in the direction of more info about the Jabra aids on this website. Very helpful to move my investigation along. I’m still looking for direct comparisons between the Jabra Enhance Pro and the Resound One. I’ll post what I learn to this thread, in case it will be helpful to others.

jim_lewis - Thank you for mentioning that the KS10’s may not be so great for wind noise. That is an important consideration for me, since my goal includes enhancing my hearing for so many outdoor activities, including especially birding and cycling.

I have used both the Jabra and the KS10. There is no comparison. The wind noise in the Jabra is infinitely better, I never heard any wind noise even in 30 mph winds before a thunderstorm. Not one wind noise.

2 Likes

I just compared the ReSound One user guide with the Jabra Enhance Pro PM. They changed the drawings on the aids to reflect the new shape and deleted the word ReSound. The tech specs in the manuals for the receivers are identical in every aspect. I’m convinced that the ReSound One aids are identical to their equivalent Jabra aids.

3 Likes

epolito - If you come across the data sheet or technical info of the Jabras, please post. I’ll try to find a data sheet for the Resound One and also for the Jabra and will post if I find them. I’ll undoubtedly need help in unpacking what I find in such sheets. Thank you for pointing me in that direction.