GN Hearing introduces ReSound ONE

I thought I would tie into this thread with my upcoming private AUD appointment for Resound One next week. I currently am trialing Resound Preza from Costco and before my trial period is up I have the opportunity to compare the One vs Preza.
The AUD is offering me a two week free trial followed by a 30 day return after I pay for the One’s at the end of the two week trial. So that gives me 44 days of trialing to decide. If I find that I prefer the Ones I will return the Preza to Costco for a full refund.
During the two week trial I intend to test them in as many environments as possible. I know a very loud restaurant, and do a lot of bicycling as well as listening to music, so I will give them a good test in all around, restaurant, music and outdoors. These are the four programs I will have set up in both hearing aids. I intend to take both pairs with me and test them in each environment.
I am really interested in the M&RIE receiver/mike combine, and hope it can accommodate my loss.
Technically, the new chip in the One is impressive and I like the game changing idea of the third receiver in the canal part of the ear taking advantage of the ear’s physical shape to capture sound and direct it to the new third receiver.
Is it a game changer or just more hype to sell a product. I hope to find out for my particular hearing loss.

1 Like

You have pretty serious loss. It will be interesting to see how the M&RIE receiver handles that. Are you planning on wearing power domes or do you have molds from the Preza that will also work with the ReSound One receivers as it seems that you will need a pretty occlusive fit to get the best out of either the Prezas or the Ones.

Jim,
That is a definite concern. One concern is the accuracy of the audio gram done by a new employee at Costco. She continually asked for help throughout the test and fitting. This time I checked out the AUD credentials at a private Audi and am hoping for better results.
I’ll give a repot in a couple of weeks.
Resound has a new dome they recommend with the M&RIE but the power dome would also be a consideration. I tried a mold at COSTCO, but again the fitter did not do a good job. It’s going back.

Keep us posted as I am doing the exact same thing as you lbr0el0fs

I have been borrowing demo resound ones for a week and unfortunately I am not impressed. I had high hopes and I still feel like I can’t understand words unless I’m having a one on one conversation in an easy listening environment. I actually think I liked the quattros better, but it’s hard to tell. The Ones are not as comfortable with the larger receiver in my small ear canals and it sounds a little distorted to me. Maybe a custom mold would help? I don’t know if its just the fit or this isn’t the hearing aid for me. The results make me want to try the ear lense, which supposedly can correct my significant loss in the high tones. Has anyone else tried the Ones and what do you think? Has anyone tried the ear lense and/or have any advice? I’m in my early 50s and physically active. thanks so much.

2 Likes

I have an appointment to try these next week.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts:)

1 Like

For those who are trying out the new Resound One, please continue to post your first impressions and comparisons with the Quattro’s. Curious to hear if the extra microphone in the ear provides any incremental benefit vs Quattro. One of my concerns with the new platform is whether the feedback control gets too aggressive for those people who have moderate loss and are at the upper end of the range for using the extra microphone.

Jordan

… but are they actually doing that?

Or are they ignoring the 2 aid mikes when using the receiver mike?

Are they doing what? You haven’t quoted which point you mean.

Are they doing what? You haven’t quoted which point you mean.

Are they actually using the 2 aid mikes with the new 3rd mike?

My UK fitting software only shows the 9 series and the 7 series of the Resound One.

Is anyone else seeing the 5 series on their screens?

Re Bluetooth :

Am I correct in believing that the GN Resound One will NOT stream audio coming from a standard Bluetooth equipped PC?

Well that would be an ecumenical matter…

How about doing the online launch training? Or asking the rep?

That is my take. To do so would take some sort of an intermediary device. The only aids that will stream directly from a PC are Phonak Marvel and Paradise (and any equivalent models) Even then, it may take a new bluetooth dongle for the PC.

Hi, I went to an AUD today and had a hearing test. I will update my test results shortly. The test showed less db loss at several frequencies, however nothing dramatic. The AUD stated to me that the MM receivers in the new M&RIE should be able to accommodate my loss. She also talked me into the rechargeable version, stating great early results of the longer battery life. I have always been a disposable battery guy( I will report this finding at a later date). The price of the Resound One 9 comes in at $4798 for the pair. It includes the AC version charger. Also included is the standard three year warranty with lost protection, two years of unlimited appointments, wax filters, domes.
The ONES will come in in two weeks.
When fitted, using REM I intend to test drive the ONES against my current PREZAs from Costco and if the ONES don’t show me a clear advantage I might decide to keep the PREZAs. The only reason I said might, is I like the fact that the ONEs have newer technology(faster chip, battery life, can be upgraded to BT5.2, and my big hope that the M&RIE make a difference in speech recognition in all environments including directionally, etc).

1 Like

What I could understand from looking at the fitting sw, you can either choose 3rd mic or regular ones, so they’re not working together. I tried with training session and couldn’t find a way to choose both.
That was a disappointing, so I lost my interest in trialling them.

Make no sense to have three microphones and not have them work in tandem. I assume the two mics in the aid body work in sequence and then the microphone outside the ear canal helps pull in more sound. Three mics should work better than two, if all are being used.

So if comes down to choosing the regular ones (mic’s in HA body) and not using the 3rd mic in ear location - why have it in the first place?

1 Like

I think the idea is that ReSound (same as Phonak Autosense) has programmed the mics to behave a certain way under certain noise conditions and doesn’t leave a lot of choice to the user or fitter as to how they behave.

The full transcript from ReSound’s initial ReSound One presentation is available from Audiology Online and a discussion of microphone performance and how it changes begins on about page 7 (a quote):

Again, it’s our philosophy. It’s part of that organic Hearing philosophy, we
don’t we want, we want the users of our hearing aids to get exactly the same situation
than a normal hearing person gives. And that is they hear everything around them, but
they are able to still then hear in noise. In ReSound ONE, we have improved the
directionality by now having a new four microphone beam former. So when you think
about these hearing aids, there’s actually six microphones on, the hearing aid set. So if
you have a binomial fitting, there are six microphones. There’s the <M&RIE> microphone
in the ear, and then there are the two microphones that you’re used to having that have
been there all the time. We’re using the M&RIE microphone for more quieter or less
noisy, just smaller amounts of noise. And then when noise gets you know higher 60, 70
dB SPL of noise, then we switch into All Access Directionality. And we very gradually
move that M&RIE response up to the microphones that are above the ears, and then
we use the microphones above the ears to create the directional response.

I didn’t try rereading the whole presentation but I get the idea from skimming through now and memory of previous ReSound presentation on the Quattro’s that different sets of mics may be doing different things for the user, e.g., all 6 mics are not focused on one thing but mics in one ear might be concentrate on speech in front of you (because it’s closer and less noisy on that side) whereas the mics on the other side might be doing something else, focusing more on noise and suppressing it, because it’s closer) - I’m ~making this up as a “this is kinda what I recall” example.

Slides used in presentation:

ReSound courses that you can register for and audit for free, including how to use fitting software to fit ReSound One’s, etc. :Audiology CEUs | All Courses | AudiologyOnline

My thoughts exactly.

@jim_lewis thanks for the info

So basically they invented 3rd mic for quiet.
And for noise, we still have the same as earlier.

Like we had problems with listening in quiet. :rofl:

Maybe this is just beta testing in production, and they’ll use the mic better later on. But I don’t see the point of it now. Not to mention hype about something revolutionary :joy:

And all mics working together isn’t true - if they switch them off, I can’t consider that as working together :joy: