Frequency Therapeutics announces breakthrough small-molecule approach to regenerate inner ear sensory hair cells

Another clinical trial for treating hearing loss is coming!

Frequency Therapeutics released a press release Feb 21 describing “…a breakthrough small-molecule approach to regenerate inner ear sensory hair cells. Frequency is advancing the approach to develop a potentially restorative treatment for chronic noise-induced hearing loss.”

“Frequency’s development of a disease modifying therapeutic that can be administered with a simple injection could have a profound effect on chronic noise-induced hearing loss, our lead indication, and we are rapidly advancing this program into human clinical trials within the next 18 months,” added Chris Loose, Ph.D., Co-founder and CSO of Frequency Therapeutics.

Source: Press Releases - News & Events - Frequency Therapeutics

I couldn’t get the link to open, but I found the article here: Press Releases - News & Events - Frequency Therapeutics

Just to consolidate my thread with this one, I’d like to include the source articles:-
See the article here:- http://newatlas.com/hearing-loss-hai…eration/48036/

and the ‘Cell’ scientific article here:- http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/ful…247(17)30136-5

For those who might be interested. Audio on my computer isn’t working so I haven’t listened to it myself yet.Episode 3: Frequency Therapeutics by UConn TIP | Free Listening on SoundCloud

That’s is very interesting. It would be so cool if just by getting a shot we could regain at least some of our lost hearing.

Thanks for posting that link.

I still haven’t listened to it but… Yes, one ray of hope.

One big question is, what is the impact of restoring even a fair amount of hearing to a person who has been profoundly deaf since birth, and is suddenly able to hear, but doesn’t have the job skills to survive without SSDI? Will we lose eligibility for SSDI if our hearing is restored above a certain threshold?

@deafdrummer: I can’t find the reference but I’m pretty sure I read that this particular research is examining possible treatments for people with noise- and age-related deafness only. Your question may be moot.

I’ve been on this forum for a long time and once or twice a year these ‘breakthroughs’ come and go but its still hearing aids with faster hardware and firmware doing the heavy lifting.

1 Like

Yep. I wouldn’t expect anyone to change their planning in any way because of this. This is the most promising one I’ve seen though, mainly because of the reputations of the personnel and the instituations that they come from, and the easy method of delivery if it works. They’ve recruited some ex-bigwig from Pfizer and obviously think there’s a real possibility of a big pay-off. But, yes, I’m still researching my next pair of hearing aids.

1 Like
1 Like

A recent article:

https://www.genengnews.com/gen-articles/frequency-therapeutics-develops-small-molecule-drugs-to-treat-hearing-loss/6331?q=Frequency%20Therapeutics

1 Like

Interesting! I would offer an ear for phase 2 testing.

I’ve idly wondered whether I would. If I were single or my kids were grown then probably. The Regain Project trials in the UK stipulated mild to moderate hearing loss of less than 10 years duration as criteria for inclusion. Probably want to maximise their chances of a good result. I wouldn’t qualify.

Do you know if they have a way to sign up for clinical trials? I’m sure they will have no shortage of applicants.

I know they haven’t responded to requests for inclusion in their next trial. Maybe leave your details at CenterWatch Patient Notification System, check your emails, and wait. Their first trial was conducted in Australia. Who knows where they’ll do phase 2?

Great suggestion. I did that!

It looks like the phase 2 study may be happening in Texas. See https://www.alamoent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Hearing-Loss-Study.pdf

These “breakthroughs” come at regular intervals and so far not one of them have come into general clinical use. I wouldn’t plan on scheduling a “treatment” anytime soon since they are probably at least a decade or more away if ever.

I don’t think there’s been any other breakthrough quite as promising as this. Did those other breakthroughs you mention ever make it through to clinical trials? Be as skeptical as you like. I’ve said before that I don’t think anyone should put off buying hearing aids or getting a CI because of this. At the same time I don’t see what’s wrong with being just a little bit optimistic. An actual candidate treatment for sensorineural hearing loss in phase 2 of clinical trials. Wow.