Forum disturbances

And that there from that user was the master class for the forum on how to be tone deaf and unsympathetic and disrespectful to the discussion and the intent. To chime in with a piece of snark in a topic from the host himself of not posting snark. We can all thank him for the class demonstration.
I am the type of poster that will call out these kinds of things. But the other moderator had different thoughts than the host.

As for the topic: I for one don’t mind off-topic wanderings. It’s how conversations flow. And the topic comes back anyway.
I am quite surprised that people would bother and hassle people in private messaging. I find that sad and disturbing.
I also don’t mind quips about the experiences everybody goes through. Basically expressing brotherhood and camaraderie of been there-felt that. But negative derogatory replies aren’t needed.

4 Likes

Loneliness has been offered more than once as an excuse for the trio. Perhaps their conduct is indeed the result of loneliness. If so, a forum meant to support and offer technical assistance to people with hearing loss, seems an odd platform on which to find solice. Also, sending “unsavoury” private messages to members does not seem the best way to make friends and thus ease the loneliness.

2 Likes

I’ll try another perspective. We are in essence all guests of the forum. We have no inherent right to be here. We are here at the pleasure of the host. If we annoy the host’s warnings and they tell us to leave, we should not expect to be invited back.

14 Likes

Sorry, I don’t need bait today.

Abram gave them warnings with explanations

1 Like

I am not an advocate for the three stooges! Perhaps, I have a misunderstanding about someone who is an empath, even though I did look it up. I didn’t know that empaths might also hold grudges.

Sorry, my bad. Please carry on with the venting.

How about a double-down on this class demonstration from the aforementioned user?

1 Like

Instead of responding, I am going to paint my garage interior.
It was only drywall taped and never painted.
:grinning:

1 Like

What irritates me is that if I have a question, I have to wade thru this garbage before I can find my answers.

8 Likes

Yes it IS garbage. In a thread specifically talking about improper posting behavior, a user chose to throw in some snark. Exactly opposite to what the host and the thread intended to slow down. I called it out.

2 Likes

What’s your question?

General advice. If you see an insult / snark etc. Don’t respond… Just flag it for us. It’s easier to clean up bad posts when they aren’t responded to. Also it will help us know if there are any other people that are detracting from the environment here. Once people start responding to insults threads go off topic and often never recover. Like this one seems to be doing. …

19 Likes

@pvc is suspended too. Carry on.

15 Likes

Firstly, @AbramBaileyAuD, many thanks for the good work you are doing for this forum.

I am all for moderation. To me, a forum (especially one like this) is different than a chat room where you go to pass/kill time whereas a forum is where useful information is shared and when it is bombarded with “crap”, it makes extracting the useful information very difficult indeed.

I agree, there is a thumbs up for appreciation but I think there should also be a thumbs down option for posts, so people can get some feedback that they are overstepping their boundaries without going into an off topic argument in a thread. Also, if these thumbs downs keeps adding up, this could make the moderators’ job much easier assuming it can be tied to an alarm/notification if a threshold is passed.

Please think of flagging as thumbs down. We see the number of flags on a post and the poster doesn’t know who flagged him or her.

8 Likes

That’s an interesting idea but I think it could open up abuse. It could be used as a tool to bully or gang up.
I have previously used the Flag icon but I’m never sure if anything is being done or any explanation given for not. So I speak openly.
I’m sorry to Abram for my calling out. Please help yourself to removing whatever posts you think appropriate (fairly :slight_smile: )

We go through every flag and handle as we see fit. More flags on a post certainly gets our attention!

4 Likes

click on the three dots … at the lower right of the message you want to Flag as a problem … you will see two new icons…
one is a bookmark the other is a flag … click on the flag.

3 Likes

Yeah I just noticed that. It’s good to know. Thanks :slight_smile:

“Forum disturbances” reminds me of a famous short story, The Blue Hotel, written by Stephen Crane. Perhaps it would be a bit much to require suspended members to read the short story before returning to the forum. The Blue Hotel is about social disturbances and how ruthlessly society can deal with them.

2 Likes