Fit of newer RIC hearing aid wires

In addition to all the sound quality issues I’m experiencing with my new Rexton BiCore HA I’m finding that the wire from the HA to the receiver is really digging deep into my ear and by the time I take it off in the evening it’s very red and deep. It goes away overnight but this is getting uncomfortable. I mentioned this to my new tech at CostCo and while she said I was a size one she would try a size 2 wire. These BiCores have the wire exiting the bottom of the HA not the end like many others. I wonder if this and maybe the shape of my ear is an issue? With size two I have been pulling the wire away from my ear so it doesn’t slice into it for now as shown in the picture. I understand why they might like this design to get the microphone up higher. My wire doesn’t lay flat on my ear at all and takes a “shortcut” across the soft top of the ear slicing into it.

1 Like

@fbacher1: I don’t even see the wire touching the upper part of the helix. Looks like a pretty good fit, from here…(Addendum: Perfect, in fact.)

Funny enough, I was just watching this video and I was wondering if it is just a gimmick:

1 Like

Yes it doesn’t touch because I have pushed the HA forward. The more natural position it wants to be is further back and that’s when the wire digs into my ear as it’s pulled down and outward too. It will only stay like this for awhile and have to reposition it every so often so this is not really a long term solution.

Funny. I had to take several pictures to get it in the frame of view. Looks like an app looking for a purpose, lol.

2 Likes

@fbacher1: If would be more informative if the picture showed the problem, and not the (temporary) solution.

So yes if you are having an issue like this it would be a good idea to at least try the size 3 receiver, the HAs sitting just a few mm further back won’t make any difference to the quality of sound (although possibly some “hair noise” on the microphone, but that’s easily sorted with some scissors!)
But to me as @SpudGunner has mentioned from your pictures, it looks good enough ( I know you said you have them “pulled up” but even when seated they would be ok and not uncommon to have them like that) of course the perfect fit would be the receiver wire following the contour of your head,you could try a little heat and bend the receiver wire at just the right point/position.

2 Likes

Defiantly ask to try a different size. I had the same problem when I got new aids. The new wire was placed differently in the hearing aid and it was digging in. I ended up having a size 0 receiver on one side and a size 1 on the other. Also, I have to adjust my glasses a bit as they cause a problem too.