First impression of Oticon More 1

thanks for the this information. Actually I was wondering about the noise reduction part.

I feel like I havenā€™t tried the maximum noise setting for a long time period because due to the silly perspective of mind I felt like it would get rid of all the detailed sounds and I stop using maximum setting after a few hours. Now I am setting as maximum because I want to really try with very open-objective mind-set. I will update you in a few days.

Thanks

Well, my understanding is that MyMusic is not just for streaming, but also for listening to live music, or recorded music via a speaker-based sound system.

Itā€™s not the same as the built-in Music program. Once youā€™ve updated Genie 2 to 2021.2 and updated the firmware on your More 1, when you go to Genie 2, under the Program Manager, when you pull down on the program menu, youā€™ll see a MyMusic program. Youā€™ll need to select this and assign it to one of the 4 programs and exit the session. Then you can try it out by selecting the program which you assign MyMusic to.

Yeah, I think thatā€™s the wrong impression that Genie 2, the way itā€™s setup, is giving to people who use it. It makes you think that if you choose the higher values, that it will always apply that value no matter what. But thatā€™s not true. Itā€™s only the Max value, as explained in the screenshot below by the Genie 2 online help:

Yes. I did that way. :slight_smile: Music sound is very nice. looks like it modified the noise reduction parts.
Still on the app, it looks like adjusting eq is only available on the streaming music.

Thanks for the detail information. Yes it makes sense. I want to try a few days to see how it works.
Also, Iā€™ve changed the setting for ā€˜sound enhancerā€™ into higher setting from ā€œbalancedā€ into ā€œdetailā€ AND for Virtual outer ear setting from Balance to ā€œAwareā€.

Thanks for the all information and I really appreciated. I will try very objectively with open-mind for a few days under the very different surroundings and let you know. Thanks

Glad to hear that youā€™re happy with the Mores. I admire your courage to take on the task of self-programming. Where did you buy from?

Iā€™ve purchased from eBay. :slight_smile:

UPDATE- after trying different setting for MoreSound Intelligence and MyMusic (new program)

My initial setting was

Iā€™ve tested with different settings (Aware+Neural noise suppression easy - different setting) +/- (Detail/Balanced +neural noise suppression change)

First of all, when I set up as maximum of noise suppression for easy and difficult, I could hear comfortable sound and no noise at all. Also, I could feel my ear was just a little bit stuffy kind of feeling. However, when I tried to watch the movie or TV, the narrations were not very articulated. I missed a few words due to the substantial noise reduction. However, going out and spending time at the market or mall, the sound was very comforting and had no sharpness at all. (Coming with the conversation in the noisy environment made me feel comforted due to the noise reduction, but clarity was gone. That was a huge sacrifice to me. All of sudden, ā€œbā€ and ā€œdā€ sounds were not very articulatedā€¦ )

After that, Iā€™ve changed to different settings.
When I had ā€œAware - Virtual outer earā€ + ā€œDetail - sound enhancerā€ along with default neural noise suppression for easy and difficult, the sound was too sharp, especially when I had to hear a womanā€™s voice. It wasnā€™t very pleasant. Also, watching the TV- Movie comes with too much noise over the narration from actors.

Conclusion. (1) It was a good trial for me to find out what it is and what I can do better in the future. I want to keep the initial setting. However, if there is a problem with sounds regarding detail/subtle parts, I would adjust a little more to get better outcomes.
(2) Neural noise suppression is excellent for people who dislike sharp sounds but prefer comforting sounds. However, I like clarity and a clear voice to understand better and not to miss any parts. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve kept the default setting, which is ā€œ0ā€ as easy and ā€œ8ā€ as difficult.
(3) My music. I loved the new updates, and the sounds of the music were very nice. However, I felt like the clarity of the sound (treble) was missing. After increasing a few Treble parts, I found the sound that I was looking for. (before, I always set up my HiFi system as flat on the EQ)

Bottom-line is, I think itā€™s very educational to have different settings and find the most effective and comfortable sound options.

==================================================
Hello,
Later I realized that the word from upper parts seemed not very organized. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve summarized again as below.

The more I increase the noise suppression, the more I lose the sharpness and clarity. However, the sound is comforting even though I can feel a little bit of ear-fullness when I stay in the quiet area.
Thatā€™s why I kept the default setting from the initial adjustment, which is ā€˜No Neural Noise Suppressionā€™ on the easy environment and ā€˜Middle noise suppression(8db)ā€™ on the difficult environment, for now.

When I adjust to the higher setting of the Virtual outer ear from ā€œbalancedā€ to ā€œaware,ā€ the high-frequency sounds have some noise a little bit but have better sharpness and clarity. However, the downside of the ā€˜awareā€™ setting is that the noise around the high frequency makes me a little bit less focused. Because suddenly, I feel like I catch too much emphasized the ā€˜shā€™ sound from whole sentences. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve kept it as ā€œbalancedā€ because itā€™s the convenient and better compromising option for me to get the optimum directional sound.

For the sound enhancer, this is the part I had been working on to find my best setting. When I make a "detailā€™ sound enhancer with the highest noise reduction (10db), I can hear more comfortably in the mid-difficult surrounding, and there is no loss for the dialogue. However, when I expose to difficult surroundings such as lots of noise from all directions, even from the ceiling, it makes me feel overwhelmed. I can hear the sentence, but I am easily distracted due to the too much noise. But, when I set up middle noise reduction(8db) with a balanced-sound enhancer, I can hear and pay attention to the conversation without any distractions. Unfortunately, I lose the variety of sounds a little bit.

Iā€™ve changed a bit of environment configuration along with the above setting again, but I canā€™t feel any difference. Thatā€™s why I do not play with environment configuration.

Therefore, depending on the hearing loss, I think noise reduction would be beneficial, I think. However, like me, who has hearing loss around high-frequency, clarity and sharpness are primary parts of having a better understanding.

Iā€™ve attached the info from the OTICON-Study.

1 Like

Below is what the Oticon whitepaper says about the Sound Enhancer. It basically lets the user add some personal customization to the max effect of noise suppression.

I donā€™t like admitting it, but I donā€™t understand all the ins and outs of Moreā€™s fitting settings. Seems like every time you select an option in one place, thereā€™s either a fine tuner that can negate what youā€™ve just chosen, or thereā€™s a parameter further down the road that does the same.:slightly_frowning_face:

I would stand a much better chance of optimizing my More1s if I had a Windows computer on which I could play about. I could then have coherent notes to take to my audiology appointments.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m sincere when I offer my thanks to members who take the time to explain, debate, and clarify the inner workings of my getup. [For anyone whoā€™s looking for more education, the AudiologyOnline courses are great!]

2 Likes

Do you have a link or other way to access the audiology online corsets? Sorry for being so ill informed.

https://www.audiologyonline.com/

Hereā€™s the link, Bill. Youā€™ll have to create an account.

Thank you so much, Spud. Youā€™re Aces!

1 Like

Lemme know when you find a link to that site, please!!!

Iā€™m sure weā€™ve had this conversation b4, but donā€™t you have a mac?
Canā€™t you run windows virtual machine, if you do have a mac.
You could then install Genie 2, and run it in Simulate mode without having to connect to your HAā€™s.

Check the More quick fit guide

I have a 2007 MacBook and a 3rd Generation iPad AiršŸ™

Good catch. :smile:

Donā€™t you just love spellcheck?

1 Like

Iā€™m speechless, Jimmy Spudnick!
If you trade-in a few of your Fenders, and Strats, you could conceivably buy an up to date laptop, and still play some mean ass blues al la Jimmy Reed!

My guitars continue to increase in value, unlike every infernal Engine of the Beast (c.f. The Revelation to John) that I buy!

[You mean Blues Ć  la McKinley Morganfield?]

@

No, not Muddy, Jimmy Reed, my friend.
Here.

When I was a kid, living in Chicago, Iā€™d buy my R&B, and Blues records at Clef Record Shop on 63rd & Cottage.
Jimmy, Muddy, and the Wolf used to play on the sidewalk outside the shop on Saturdays.
Great times, man!