Firmware update for Oticon 3.0 TV box?

Hi. Can anyone confirm/refute that Oticon does firmware updates on the Oticon TV box?

I really don’t know, except what I was told when I first got my OPN1 aids, I remember my Audiologist saying that my aids would update the TV adapter when paired to the TV adapter. I really don’t know if that is true or not

Interesting… waiting for my audiologist to ask oticon (again) about this issue… she told me last week they told her they don’t do updates to the TV box… I know I took the TV to her back in 2018 (I think) for something (my notes indicate update but I didn’t write anything more…)

1 Like

I can confirm that at least one update to the TV Adapter 3 has been issued. My box was updated on 1 Aug 2019 to firmware 2.1.1 using Genie 2. I just plugged mine into my computer and checked - that is the current version of the firmware according to the Firmware Updater.

1 Like

Thanks… so someone on a Facegroup group said his box was recently updated to 2.1.4 - supposedly to provide “better connectivity” …

2 Likes

Interesting …

I just ran the Oticon updater for the copy of Genie 2 I have installed and it shows no update available. The version reported by About Genie 2 is “Oticon Genie 2 | 2020.2 Build 12.41.50 Update level Genie.20.2-0”. I don’t know if that is current or not as I have had issues finding any documents listing either software or firmware levels for the hardware devices (hearing aids by model and accessories) and fitting software. It sure would be nice if Oticon published a document showing software and firmware versions and the updates/fixes included in each version. Maybe such a document is available to authorized providers/audiologists?

THanks… definitely would be useful for Oticon to share/make available information on firmware updates… My audiologist did say that now, any firmware updates to the aids are pushed to the aids via the app automatically … she’s checking on the TV box, even though they told her last week they “don’t do updates” to the TV box , which doesn’t sound right to me…

I commented quite a while ago, I had issues with the TV Adapter since I got it. I had asked Oticon Support about updating the TV Adapter firmware and got a reply, this was not possible.
My audi has adjusted the TV Adapter’s settings with the Genie 2, but it has not helped.
My main problem with the TV Adapter is that the Output Volume of the TV Adapter itself cannot be adjusted (contrary to Phonac’s). Its output volume is too high affecting the sound quality. To be able to hear the TV sound at an acceptable level, I have to reduce the volume on the Oticon ON down to 2-3 which significantly deteriorates the sound quality I hear with my Opn S 1 miniRITE.

Question to the community: has anyone found a TV Adapter from another brand that would work with the Opn S1? I haven’t!

Your input to the TV Adapter is probably just too hot and you’ll need to find a way to tame it down. If you use the Toslink input, then you’ll need to figure out if you can control the Toslink volume from your TV or not. If not, see if the TV has RCA type audio out or not where the volume can be controlled and use those for your TV Adapter instead. If not, you may have to buy something from Amazon to convert from Toslink to RCA audio out with volume control to work around the problem.

Do a search for the TV Adapter on this forum. I’ve gone through this issue extensively with someone else already and they went through the Toslink to RCA output converter route.

I don’t have an issue with my TV Adapter like you do because I can control the Toslink volume input to the TV Adapter from my TV.

1 Like

I have the same problem with Samsung TV -> Toslink -> TV Adapter. I must reduce the volume to between 5-3 depending on the the source material.

I have Samsung TV (Q80 I think) … I tried to find something in settings about controlling volume from TV but couldn’t find anything… I’ve just given up and just turn volume in the app down to 2-3 when I use TV adapter … previous TV (LG I think…) I used RCA adapter thing but problem was still there… audiologist turned down default volume for me for the TV program to 2 (out of 5 I think) in the software, but it didn’t work… still WAY too loud for me when I connect to TV adapter so I just turn it down …

Thank you for your reply. Following your suggestions, I ordered from Amazon adapters with output volume control such as the PROZOR 192KHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter with output volume control. Depending of the model, they had Input to the converter with Toslink and/or HDMI and Output to the Oticon TV Adapter with RCA and/or Toslink. As expected, it helped to tame down the TVAdapter output volume, however, the output sound quality was worse than without the converter.
I also had an extensive email exchange with Oticon’s App Support (appsupport@oticon.com) about the issues. Oticon confirmed that the firmware of the TV Adapter 3.0 cannot be updated, and since it is proprietary, no other commercially available Bluetooth Adapter will pair with the Oticon hearing aids. They stated that the issue I have been facing with the TV Adapter 3.0 was resolved with the Oticon More, nothing was explained how - it actually requires using the same TV Adapter 3.0. Thanks again.

It was “solved” with Oticon More because the Oticon More remembers the volume setting from the app. So, if you set it to volume 2, the hearing aids will keep it at volume 2 until you change it to something else. With older Oticon models, it always reverted back to volume 16.

1 Like

Thanks… I have OPN S1 and MOREs aren’t in the cards for me,unfortunately… I’m holding out hope that Oticon might do firmware update for S1 to fix the issue, but I’m not holding my breath…

Thank you for letting me know. I don’t think I am ready to spend again several $k only 3 years after I got my Oticon OPN S1 miniRITE!

1 Like

Just want to inform you that with the new firmware 1.3.0 for Oticon More, it now works great using the TV Adapter with a Samsung TV. Before I used to have volume 4-5 but now, I can use 14-15 without it being too loud.

1 Like

Good to know… I “only” have OPN S … sadly, I don’t think Oticon will be doing any more firmware updates on them…

Interesting development for mine and TV box volume : I can’t recall who/where suggested this, but it worked! Apparently TV box volume is “tied” to Program 1 in the aids … SO, the suggestion was to have audiologist lower volume in P1 … she copied P1 to P3 in case I wanted/needed the old P1 settings … then she lowered volume in P1 … then when I connected to TV box, the volume was MUCH lower /more comfortable for me… she didn’t make any changes to TV box volume ( I think it’s at 2 out of 5 ) … it’s SO much better now… especially because I still have the pesky issue of hearing aids randomly restarting while I’m using TV box… previously, when aids would restart - TV box volume would default back to the loud volume… at least now, when the aids restart, they go back to TV box volume but it’s manageable now…

Glad to hear that you were able to find a way to lower the TV Adapter volume through the P1 program. I don’t remember if it was me who suggested that to you or not, but I do remember distinctly that when I asked Oticon (way back in 2016) how I would make adjustments to change how things sound for the TV Adapter, Oticon Support told me that the TV Adapter settings would take on whatever settings I have done for the P1 program. So at least what you’re seeing is consistent with what Oticon Support told me.

1 Like

It’s really so much better now. Kind of surprised that Oticon never offered this solution- I mentioned it so many times to my audiologist and she said she asked Oticon numerous times.

1 Like