Fine tuning suggestion that helped me

Thank you Neville! I also appreciate your contributions on this forum. So helpful. So clear. We are lucky and I am grateful for your participation.

2 Likes

@platypus: I realize that I’m breaking the rules to be quoting your previous post verbatim, but you have stolen the words from my mouth.

Thank you, Neville! Thank you, indeed!

1 Like

Long thread, but last I read you were using a phone app (not sure how the audio was getting to your ears?) and you mention here a wheel. Have you switched to a hardware tone generator? I’m curious about your whole setup. I’ve done in-situ audiometery(sp?) but it’s limited to octaves or some large jump.

I can see how you’d lack sympathy for people complaining about occlusion noise when it’s something you have to live with–no option for you. But you certainly don’t come across online as unsympathetic. From the comments, clearly many people appreciate not only your expertise and generosity in sharing but your style of sharing and advising. As do I.

I’ve worked with some good audiologists I think, but the one that almost made me cry when she left the practice was one who had reverse slope hearing loss. I had to tell her so little and didn’t have to struggle to find the words to describe the problems, because she already knew–and knew what could be done, if anything. I’d have driven 2 hours for occasional appointments with her but the company she went to work for only served clients in its network.

So glad to hear headphones will work! Now I have another new thing to learn, maybe. Beyond row, row, row your boat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heh. Thanks, that’s kind. Spud, too. Before I started in audiology, I taught; clearly I miss having my own little soapbox to stand on and I take it out on you folks. But I learn a lot here, too.

7 Likes

Hi @Neville , your comment reminded me of a lyric from a Procol Harum song that went:

“So the lesson lies in learning, and by teaching, I’ll be taught.
There is nothing hidden anywhere, it’s all there to be sought.”

Thanks for all your contributions.
You & @Um_bongo are the stars of this forum!

6 Likes

Um_bongo is way more experienced than I. I think I am chattier and more frequently caffeinated. Trust his word ahead of mine, always.

2 Likes

HA don’t go much beyond 8KHz.

1 Like

The response of most feedback managers is usually in the 50-500uSec range. The audible bit you’re hearing is potentially the second or third tier mechanism to the FBM. Also given the output bands within of the device, if you’re turning down one band it’ll affect the adjacent frequencies too.

Aside from this; the hearing aids know your pure-tone signal isn’t speech anyway as it will fail the speech classification AI. So they will not amply it fully.

It’s an unreliable test. Swept tones were used historically in test-box functionality/output testing, they aren’t now, for this very reason. Unless you put the aids in a ‘test mode’.

I’m sorry it’s not the ‘Holy-Grail’ here; great that it worked for you, but in reality it doesn’t apply across the board. Hearing technology has moved past this point.

2 Likes

UmBongo isn’t quite so sure about this……… :joy:

6 Likes

After convincing my fitter to lower the transient noise control from medium to maximum I’m having much less of an issue with loud harsh sounds and really liking my HA more. Enjoying this small victory. The one lingering thing is that how some high frequency sounds to me. For instance, watching tv this morning I encountered a reporter that has this high pitch nasal quality to her voice that was just annoying and “warbly”. And higher notes on my acoustic guitars do the same thing. Listening to music can at times produce this same warble. I know my guitars do not sound like this and this warble, from what I’ve found out here, could be the result of the feedback mgr and not necessarily the high frequency gain of NAL2 as I’ve thought. The feedback canceller for the Philips HearSuite has only an off, medium and maximum option and mine are set to maximum right now probably because that’s the default and I do have the open bass domes. I’ll probably ask my fitter to set the feedback to medium for me although now that I have my NoahLink I could try that myself and find out right away. Just a bit fearful of screwing up my HA and having to go back to my fitter with my mea culpa if I screw things up.

5 Likes

All you have to do is save the original settings, before you make any changes to the setting. Then If you want you can go back to the original settings.

4 Likes

And there’s the issue of warranty too. Not sure if CostCo would still honor it.

Warranty wouldn’t come into it for DIY in most cases, if you brick them (highly unlikely) they’ll just send back to the manufacturer, just like any other warranty claim,I mean if your gonna tell them (Costco or manufacturer) you did something while doing DIY that “could” be a issue (but why would you?) but I’ve never heard of anyone being denied warranty for doing DIY.

3 Likes

Sharing in your victory snd noting that transient noise change. Congrats! And thanks for passing it along.

Arrgghhh, I’m having difficulty getting used to this iPhone keyboard. Making so many mistakes and they take longer to fix than on my android. Ok, that was an aside, but grrrr. :wink:

Yeah phone keyboards in general are too small and I have the SE iphone which is pretty small but a good fit in the side pocket I have in my mtn bike shorts. My friend tells me to learn how to speak text messages instead of typing them, lol.

2 Likes

No. there are plenty of hearing loss folks for whom aids can only do so much. Claiming that aids are a failure and all of the work done by an audi counts for nothing and shouldn’t be remunerated if the patient isn’t happy is ridiculous.
Aids can only do so much. One has to acknowledge this going in. We’re not talking about performing miracles here. Expecting miracles and refusing to pay if they don’[t come off is unreasonable. Possibly it’s a function of modern American life, where we expect instant gratification and refuse to recognize limits. Sad.

4 Likes

So maybe if I make that one change to the feedback and then put it back before I go back to my fitter she would not even know I made a change? No record kept except in the HearSuite program on my computer. I think that’s the one thing I really want to try out along with maybe letting the program reduce what it considers high frequency by 2-4 db. It’s an option when using the fit assistant in the program. I’ve heard both ways about the warranty thing being an issue but what you’re saying makes sense. I did tell my fitter that since she was retiring in May I was going to learn how to adjust things and her only comment was “you do you”, lol. She knows I’m a curious retired mechanical engineer that wants to understand more about HA and hear loss.

3 Likes

Huh? Who said anything about not paying?

Disconnect office visit charges from the price of hearing aids and this shouldn’t be a problem–if it actually is.

1 Like

Time stamp will change of course, but hay no big deal there your HAs, you can do what you like, not like you need their permission.

Just a time stamp difference, they’ll know, but don’t worry about it.

2 Likes