Fine tuning suggestion that helped me

Funny, I’ve thought about voice typing but aside from potentially driving my spouse bananas I don’t know it it’d work for doing social media posts, emails, etc. Might be worthwhile if it did. Learn to do first drafts of articles that way too maybe.

2 Likes

She’ll know, because anytime you open the fitting software, the timestamp changes, but restoring her settings should appease her!

You should set the Feedback canceller to Off to alleviate the flutter. It’s sometimes referred to as TTTF (Talking Through the Fan).
Maybe set up a separate program to experiment with your settings to compare to hers.

Should prolly move this conversation to the DIY topic.

4 Likes

And to be clear, I’m not sure it’s flutter I’m hearing or just break up at high frequencies because of damage from too much noise over the years. But worth a quick try anyway but the feedback canceller is more than likely not the issue.

Your highs are only moderately severe.

Do you think the highs are worse now and that is why you think the highs are breaking up?

Might be the hearing aids that are faulty? Worth checking.

This is a current audio. I had issues with the BiCores sounding tinny and distorted and since it mostly happened with some female voices that were sort of nasal and higher pitched I figured it must be high frequency issues with me. But the worst of the two BiCores finally failed and I just didn’t like how tinny even the replacement sounded so I returned them after 2 months, 14 hrs a day. I am a new HA user so some this could be my brain getting used to this. But now that it’s 3 months I’m not so sure if for instance the higher notes on my acoustic guitar will ever sound clear like the lower ones and not warbly/tinny/distorted…searching for the right description here, lol. The higher setting of the transient noise filter really helped a lot (as did switching to Philips) and I’m able to set the volume to -1 or 0 without too many issues with speech and clanking noises at least. I’m just giving this new setting time now. I am still at 80% too which turns everything down a bit too. 100% was just way too loud initially. Still confused about how long it takes a brain to “adapt” and from what I can tell it’s variable like our biology and no way to predict so patience and my current reduced expectations are in order now.

Hmm. As a fellow Kiwi, when I was checking out new RIC aids 18 months ago from two different audiologists (Audika and Bay), neither asked a fee for trialling. When eventually I went with the Phonaks from Bay, the Audika (Oticon) audiologist, though clearly disappointed, didn’t hit me up for a cleaning fee for the week I’d been using them.

1 Like

Hi KiwiJohn,
my audiologist had her own practice and was not part of a larger chain like Bay Audiology (which is now owned by a private equity firm). As such, I guess her sales volumes were not large enough to get concessions / deals from HA manufacturers so hence the charges for trialling HAs.
She has since sold out to Bay Audiology and quit the HA business, leaving me stranded as I went to her as she was an independent.
PS Costco in Auckland sell the KS10 (a rebranded Phonak) HAs for $2,000 including GST; how much were your Phonaks from Bay?

Interesting! My P-90Rs from Bay were just under $NZ 7,000 the pair. Audika wanted just over $NZ 8,500 for Oticon More 1s.

I wonder what Phonak model the Costco KS10s are the equivalent of?

Sorry about the loss of your independent audiologist - it seems to be the regrettable trend throughout the medical business.

I used my phone and a Compilot 2. It was transmitted. It was not through the air. I cycled through a big range of frequencies to see where I’m missing some sound. It is not the hearing aids that have dead spots. It is my ears.

My only fix for my dead spots is to move those sounds to a range without dead spots. So I moved Sound Recover lower and lower until my tone generator did not reveal any dead spots.

If the hearing technology industry doesn’t test for dead spots, how would they know my frequency range needed to be lowered/compressed?

1 Like

Actually it does but gets misunderstood sometimes. It took me a while to realize that buzzed and crackles we’re dead spots, not hearing. Once this was recognized the audiogram can reflect dead spots, no response. Learning this was a big thing for me. I really think there are a bunch of people pit there that have dead spots and don’t know it.

1 Like

As another fellow Kiwi, I also wasn’t asked to pay a trial/cleaning fee thru Triton. I trialled the Signia Silk X for a couple of weeks and they weren’t ideal, so I handed them back and went on to my next pair (the last several I’ve trialled since have all been customs).

P90 they are equal too but KS10 aren’t being sold anymore, at least in the UK and USA.

@Zebras are the Costco KS10 the full bells and whistles version of the P90, or do they have some features/options restricted or removed? If not then that is a hell of a price difference here in NZ for the same HAs - Costco is less than 1/3 the price of other chains.

@richard.silver

People say that the KS10 has everything but the tinnitus feature and does use a different App.

There has been mention that the tinnitus feature is there for people DIY but Costco don’t activate it.

@Zebras

Thanks - shows you the incredible buying power that a retailer like Costco has. I’d imagine the app they use would likely be a ‘light’ version of the MyPhonak app and reskinned with the Costco branding, which is easy enough to do.

I think the apps have all the same functionality, the updates aren’t there quite as quickly.

I lost the tinnitus masker component of the program my audiologist gave me when we went to activevents, and the tinnitus masker isn’t missed in comparison. I have P-90s, but I have compared them technically in specs very carefully. There isn’t much difference. The shell around them in different. Unless you want activevents. I wonder if DIYers could get and program them in, too.

WH

WH

1 Like

@Neville

This is an incredible explanation. I believe my audiologist starts low and moves up. I think that’s the key to my experience.

My first audiologist started high and moved down if she needed to…so everytime I left I felt I heard much better. She sold her business.

Your explanations always help me. Thanks so much!

DaveL
Toronto

Old thread! There seems to be a time limit on my ability to edit my typos. How frustrating. :laughing:

2 Likes