Finally made decision to go with a Cochlear Implant only to be shot down

As the heading states, I Finally made the decision to go with a Cochlear Implant only to be shot down. After 5 separate 150 mile round trips to the Cleveland Clinic because of scheduling difficulty’s It was confirmed that I was definitely a candidate. However, my MRI turned up a 5mm enhancing lesion in the right internal acoustic canal, most likely a benign Vestibuler Schwannoma. After speaking with my surgeon his recommendation was to forgo the implant because of the lesion. He thought the chance of loosing my residual hearing in that ear and not having the implant being a 100% successful because of the lesion was to great.
As Marvin the Martian use to say…Back to the drawing board…

4 Likes

Sorry to hear it. After making a difficult decision and all the buildup, that would not be a nice feeling at all.

6 Likes

This comment means nothing, most CI’s leave little to no residual hearing.

I too am sorry to hear about your results. All the time and effort. Have you considered getting another surgeons opinion on this?

3 Likes

ALWAYS get a second opinion on surgery. If they agree or disagree, you know more or have higher confidence.

I had two surgeries a couple years back. Both by the leading surgeons for these types of surgeries in the region. I could have gone with just that alone for confidence, but I sought second opinions from doctors in practices and systems different from the original surgeons. One gave me nearly the same prescription for what he’d do in the operation, and the only difference was post-op care. The other gave me two scenarios for what could be done. “It doesn’t matter which we pick so much as the skill of the surgeon.” I had a lot easier time going into both surgeries.

I wish you the best in what you choose for next steps, whatever do decide!

WH

3 Likes

Wow, indeed disappointing after doing all the gut wrenching deciding. Agree a second opinion is always an option and worth doing prior to scrapping the idea altogether. What about your other ear??

2 Likes

The other ear actually has 58% word recognition while the implant ear is 18%. Only the one ear qualifies.

1 Like

I believe the Medicare level to qualify was raised 60% on 2022 or there about. I wasn’t far from that and was on the fence. So it may be something to consider down the line. Hearing generally gets worse with age.

2 Likes

Here’s a link to the Medicare article:
CMS Expands Medicare Coverage for Cochlear Implants (hearingtracker.com)

3 Likes

I can guess how disappointed you must be after serious consideration deciding to join other cochlear patrons only to be turned down.

I have been there. It was an audiogist (not mine) who I had to consult with after a surgeon saying he thought he could help me. I was a d an disappointed. I feel betrayed. She filed her report saying that I could be sufficiently helped with specific hearing aids she could fit me with, oticon I think but not remembering precisely. All I know is I couldn’t afford them. And I feel like I was just a financial incentive to her. Don’t give up. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another surgeon?

1 Like

What a bummer, especially because of all that driving!
Agree with all the people who already encouraged a second opinion. Is there a more accessible CI center for you?
Don’t give up

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear this. As I see it you have 3 choices.

1. As others have said get a second opinion much closer to home.
  2. Looking at your audiogram both ears qualify. Seriously consider having your other ear done.
  3. Do a lot of research on the pros and cons of having your tumor removed.

I was very hung up on having my residual preserved. Most people lose 20-30% of their residual during the procedure. It’s just one of those things that recipients just accept. But as surgeons will tell you preserving your residual is not guaranteed. The longevity of your preserved residual also isn’t guaranteed. Mine was preserved during surgery. 15 months later my preserved residual dropped off. No one is able to explain to me why this happened. For me being able to hear is far more important than have my residual preserved. You just adapt to the circumstances around you.

3 Likes

If you qualify according to insurance and have a surgeon who agrees, the decision to proceed with a CI is yours alone. Yes, there is a financial incentive for AuD to discourage CI because then you don’t need to buy hearing aids. Find an AuD who is trained in CI work. I had two AuDs discourage me from CI because I was borderline, but I went ahead and got my official consult and got it. Best choice for me.

3 Likes

I’d stay away from any Cleveland Clinic facility. For that matter any public sector hearing provider in Cleveland, OH. Metro Health, University Hospitals, Cleveland Clinic are all stains to the audiology field. I would however recommend Lippy Group in Warren, OH. Might be half the commute for yourself. Good luck

1 Like

As you had decided to go with Cochlear, give them a ring and ask for a good clinic near you. Then get a referral to go to that clinic for your 2nd opinion/management.
Good luck :four_leaf_clover: to you.

3 Likes