Evaluation Process for CIs - Your experience?

@phobos512 with my series 5 implant I personally would be refusing to have another MRI. If the first one wasn’t sufficient I don’t think I would move forward with the 2nd implant. As it would mean I would have to have the magnet removed have the MRI, then 2 weeks later have the magnet reimplanted. Don’t think I could be bothered with all the mucking around. I would however have a CT.
@Raudrive I’m very glad to hear surgery went well for you. Onward and upward with the rehab.

1 Like

The attachment has Cochlear’s array listings and MRI compatibility.

1 Like

This is what I will try. The android phone can have both apps, Nucleus Smart and myPhonak with the CI processor paired with the Nucleus Smart app and the Phonak Audeo M aid paired to the myPhonak app.
It might just work?

When the time comes and enough hearing has been lost a CI is the only option left. Personally I see nothing on the horizon 3 to 5 years off that will replace existing cochlear implants. With that said, I also can’t see the true benefit of getting a CI right now, with everyone wearing mask. Sure when you’re home and in a controlled, safe environment a new user of a CI will have time to adjust to the learning process (mental process) of hearing through a CI. But once you step into the real world with everyone wearing masks, no facial lip reading, distance factor, etc., a CI is not going to perform to its potential. People who need a CI now are some what between a rock and a hard place since masks muffle speech, which in turn make verbal communication harder to understand. Be it with normal hearing, using a hearing aid or through a CI.

Who knows when scientists will tell us masks are no longer needed. End of 2021? 2022? Or beyond. All comes down to vaccines success rate and what percentage of people take it. But for the next 16 to 24 months, people with HA’s and CI are going to struggle to hear any where outside their homes. Let’s hope Trump’s setback with Cornavirus, makes everyone wear masks and pushes everyone take a “successful” vaccine shot(s) when provided to the public. The sooner “masks” come off - the sooner the hearing impaired will hear better.

All hearing is impaired by masks. There’s no reason to avoid potential treatment options. The practice one does with a CI has to largely be at home anyway, with voices and recordings or readings of things you’re already familiar with (when you’ve previously had natural hearing). You’re connecting memories of sound your brain already has with what it now sounds like. And I can 100% assure you understanding, even of people in masks, does come with time.

@raudrive at least on my Android I couldn’t send audio to two devices simultaneously like that. The Artone Max 3 is the only thing that lets me hear streamed audio and calls simultaneously, since it’s a telecoil loop.

1 Like

You know I just remembered that the apps on your phone have zero to do with the phone streaming to the aids. The apps are not needed.

2 Likes

How are you doing today?

Doing good. No pain pills since 4am yesterday. No ibuprofen since yesterday evening!
The area is sore but not hurting bad.

2 Likes

@Raudrive thanks for that, sadly it’s as I said, the 522 needs to be removed. :cry: They used to say use the head wrap but far to many magnets twisted side ways.

I’m glad to you are feeling better still today.

@hold4triple if you have any thoughts of having a CI and you have any residual hearing. If you want to try and preserve your residual hearing, the time to move forward is while you still have good residual hearing. (Look at my audiogram R ear) The longer you leave it the more difficult rehab becomes, and generally the more difficult it is to hear and understand speech. As you don’t have your audiogram posted we can’t check what your hearing is doing.

1 Like

The dent near the top of my ear is from my glasses. Area is swollen.

3 Likes

Very neat! I had more spinal surgery 2 weeks ago and my wound doesn’t look as neat.

1 Like

How are you doing?..

Glad to hear everything is going well for you Raudrive… Hopefully your switch on date will go extremely well, good luck in your new hearing venture … Cheers Kev :smile:

1 Like

I’m doing a lot better this time. This surgery wasn’t as major this time so it’s been a walk in the park. :slight_smile: Thanks for asking.

2 Likes

Samsung s8 can split bt media signal into two, in settings. They’re a bit less powerful though.

Thanks, my S9 has the dual audio also. Too bad it’s not Android 10 for compatibility with the Cochlear Nucleus 7 processors.
Interesting to know some Samsung S9 phones are Android 10 and others are not.

@Blacky @Raudrive I have an S10+ unfortunately the dual audio doesn’t work with MED-EL processors as they don’t have the right streaming audio protocol they pretend to be a headset currently though when Audiostream comes out it’ll work (though by then I will be bilateral so it also won’t matter for me).

2 Likes

Your S10+ is on Cochlear’s Nucleus 7 compatibility list, Google Pixel phones are also as are most iPhones. Not sure which direction I will go?

The area of CI surgery is itching like crazy. The upper part of my ear and around the area of the surgery are numb. Still have liquid in my middle ear. When I walk there is a metallic thumping sound in that ear, similar to occlusion. Slight dizziness but not bad.

My friend who has Ushers got bilateral N7s last year. Her surgery caused fluid and she ended up getting grommets in both ears.

Not sure what this means, I will look it up. Thinking tubes like infants get. Yes, one in the same.