Evaluation Process for CIs - Your experience?

I think the reasons are complex for not getting both implants at once. It’s absolutely doable and there was a study done quite a few years ago that showed it was a viable approach. In general, there’s a tendency to avoid doing bilateral surgeries of anything. There’s a chance if something goes wrong, it could affect both sides. Recovery is usually longer and more challenging, but it basically comes down to inertia, meaning they do it that way because that’s the way they’ve always done it. I don’t think money factors in consciously, but I do think the incentives are wrong.

1 Like

Have fun tomorrow @Raudrive
Let it be smooth journey!

3 Likes

Good luck @Raudrive I’m sure everything will go nicely.

2 Likes

@raudrive Good luck today Rick

1 Like

Best Wishes Rau,you got this!!!

1 Like

Thanks.

The results from the Covid test came back negative so surgery is a GO for tomorrow at 1pm, October 1st. Looking forward to the very hopeful better hearing.

The process from evaluation to surgery is a journey in itself!

5 Likes

Yes indeed, it certainly is. One foot in front of the other and you’ll get there.

@Raudrive I’ve just caught up with this, all the very best for you op. It’s the 1st here today so it must be tomorrow, I will be thinking of you. :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts. My wife and I will be leaving for the surgery in about an hour or so. The 1pm surgery time is really nice for our situation.
Won’t be long now!

4 Likes

The CI implant surgery went well yesterday.
Did have more pain than expected afterwards. Pain pills and then eating some soup when I got home fixed this pain issue all up.
Today I get the padded bowl off my ear so that will be much better too.

7 Likes

Hey @Raudrive congrats! Any dizziness?

Not much dizziness and no nausea at this time. The dizziness could be from the pain pill.

I learned something yesterday about getting the second implant. All the pre-op things we had to do won’t be needed for the second implant. By signing a paper that nothing has changed it allows you to move on for the second surgery without some of the earlier procedures.

I liked that!

5 Likes

Yep, assuming you qualified in both ears to start. I bet though that if there’s a long enough lag, some doctors would want to see a new MRI and/or CT to ensure nothing you’d not be aware of directly hasn’t changed as well.

You are probably right.

An example was the EKG. I had one about 2 months earlier, still had to re-do it. Something about 30 days max.

The CT was listed as the right side. Even thought the entire area was scanned only the right side was reported on.

Are you having to do everything again?

2 Likes

Nope, just the COVID test as part of pre-op appointment on the 27th. I know my folks place different requirements on folks over 40 but I guess I am squeaking by since I am 40.

1 Like

Glad to hear it went good. Now we all will eagerly wait for your switching on day. Do you have a termin for that already?

1 Like

Thanks,
Processor switching on day (activation) is October 21 at 1pm. This date just changed today so I could see both the surgeon and audiologist in one day.
The Audiologist office, the Surgeons office and the place the surgery was done are all in the same building. Very handy for all evolved.

2 Likes

congratulations my bro , i hope for u all the best . i have question
how old are you ?
When did you lose your hearing?
now using HA so it phonak or resound ?

1 Like

Thanks.
I am 65.
Started losing my hearing in my mid 20’s.
I have Phonak aids now.
My plans are to get the second implant as soon as I can understand speech with this new implant. So getting a Resound aid to match the Cochlear Kanso2 processor would probably be a waste.

1 Like

Maybe some cheapest resound with streaming ability via tcoil or something compatible with the processor so that you can enjoy stuff on both ears.

But, if processor takes BT and your phonak also, you can check if your phone will split bt into two or just check for such splitters…

But you’ll see what you like. Maybe you see that CI side will be more enjoyable and you’ll just use it primarily.

Altough I’d recommend only to not forget giving HA ear also something to listen, that brain keeps practicing until you get the second one.