End of ultrapower hearing aids era?

140-145 dB max seems to be the norm for the UP receivers in BTE aids. Perhaps the thinking is that certain ear parts that get damaged by loud sounds, are long gone and what is left working can tolerate these high levels? No idea, but one has to wonder how people can take 145 dB without suffering something…

1 Like

I was speculating about the high power required to generate bass and wondered if a body box wired to the HAs would be a solution. Actually, if all the HA electronics could be in such a box could the need and corresponding high price for so much miniaturization be lessened?

Look, no amount of gain can fix your hearing from a hearing aid based on your audiogram.

I’m sorry but you need a CI to hear well. I had little to no hearing in the right side where I was implanted.

before I was implanted, I had good bass hearing but terrible mid to high range just like you:
1 khz @ 100 db
2 khz @ 110 db
3 khz @ 120 db / NR

5 Likes

I have a pair of Oticon Dynamo SP8, and I can live with them. Speech recognition is a brain feature, but I have almost zero speech recognition. CI cannot fix brain features. So my decision is to stay with hearing aids.

I know some people get the CI, not to get access to speech understanding but enjoy music and other environmental sound.

I have very good speech understanding on both ears but it isn’t a speech only processor, it is a sound processor where sound can be any sound, not just speech.

It open a new world of sound, a whole new depth of dynamic range I didn’t have. I have 80 db from the softest sound to loudest sound. (20 db to 100 db) with CI.

3 Likes

CI theme is absolutely not for me. No body modifications, no huge installation on head.

1 Like

I am in the same boat. I can live my life happily without CI. I am waiting for upcoming Naida Ultra Power hearing aids from Phonak that supports Marvel tech.

1 Like

I see Naida SP only on Marvel platform BSP Hearing aid with wireless connectivity Cover Letter Sonova USA .

This document is showing the upcoming Naida Marvel hearing aids!!! Wow! How did you find it? I am very disappointed that Naida M will not come in UP. We’re both out of luck. This is shocking because Naida brand always focuses on SP and UP both. I am not sure why they decided not to include UP model this time. I think we should write to their management and complain about this.

Totally your choice to not get a CI.

Sorry, I thought I asked this before but I don’t see the answer now. Have you had this degree of hearing loss since birth?

If you used to have fairly good word recognition and lost it later, then you may be mis-informed. A CI can often take someone from very bad word recognition to very good word recognition.

3 Likes

Yes, I was born with this hearing loss yet. And I received my first hearing aids when I was 4 years old. So I have deprivated hearing nerves and rearranged hearing corticle. CI will not help me.

1 Like

I found this by Google, of course)) Naida Marvel SP coming out in February (maybe UP will be later)

The Phonak rep said the SP will cover as much as what the current UP does now.

6 Likes

This is amazing if true!! This is a dream come true for me. Finally, those with a high level of profound hearing loss like me and @Lostdeaf will be able to hear better and utilize all the amazing wireless Bluetooth features which will improve our quality of life so much!

1 Like

Well good news if we see Naida Marvel SP in February, but aren’t you forgetting (TallRobocop) that Oticon just came out with the Xceed (power aid) and Widex might shortly come out with a Super Evoke power aid. Certainly the more brands/selections the better but I believe all power hearing aids use bluetooth, so its not like a future Naida Marvel SP has a “corner on the market”.

1 Like

Also for what its worth, many times new HA’s hit the European market first (for what ever reason) and then two, three months later in U.S. Don’t know if delay in U.S is due to FDA, general marketing plan or production issues.

Well I’d like see the fitting range for the (rumored) new Naida Marvel SP compared with Oticon Xceed. And of course to see if the Nadia SP offers size 675 battery, which the Xceed already does. Still finding good reviews on the Xceed, yet no one on HT has commented (in detail) their own personal experiences testing hearing aid.

Oticon Xceed features a radical new approach to hearing care for individuals with severe-to-profound hearing loss that is proven to deliver better speech clarity and better short-term recall while reducing the listening effort this patient population struggles with in most situations every day. Xceed is the first super- and ultra-power hearing aid with OpenSound Navigator™ and OpenSound Optimizer™, BrainHearing™ technologies that support more access to speech. The innovative technology in Xceed empowers hearing care professionals to deliver industry-leading optimal output and gain – 146 dB SPL and 87 dB full on gain – without the high risk of feedback. People with severe-to-profound hearing loss can enjoy more access to speech throughout the day with a 360° soundscape and consistent amplification without significant gain reductions.

https://www.oticon.com/inside-oticon/news/news/2019/nov-11-ces-2020-awards

Oticon Xceed may be not as power in real life as you think. See my topic Oticon Xceed SP and UP fitting range

Lostdeaf - I did review your past post and I think the jury’s still out how Xceed compares with competing brands. Right now there are very few choices in the (power HA group) so I’d have to see more reviews on the Xceed and how it stacks up against limited competition.

I should mention I trialed Evoke fashion power hearing recently (thinking its fitting chart) would cover my hearing loss. Well it didn’t and I believe the aid failed REM test. So you and I might be on the same page recognizing that hearing power does not necessarily transfer over into real gain and improved word recognition. Still if you google the Oticon Xceed - its shows up as one of the most powerful HA on the market. As in the top two or three in my opinion.

Widex Super Evoke? Have you more information about this?