End of ultrapower hearing aids era?

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood, I’m not well versed in models vs power levels, but I want to be sure you know that just because an HA isn’t specially certified MFi doesn’t mean it won’t stream to iPhone. Pretty any Bluetooth audio device will connect and stream, hopefully with ease and reliably, but MFi means they can take advantage of features or enhanced technology unique to that standard (such as Live Listen) but even then there may be rough equivalents from the HA maker or 3rd party apps etc.

The key is whether or not they can stream audio wirelessly. MFi is a wireless streaming connection. I started out with an Android phone with my KS8 (MFi) aids. They could wirelessly connect to my android phone, which could act as a wireless remote control to change some settings on the aids. But it could not wirelessly stream phone call audio or music to my aids.

I think my best “advice” would be to see if you qualify for a cochlear implant. All the aids mentioned are good aids. Naidas have ability to lower high frequency sounds to a lower level than the other aids do, but give up ability to stream directly from iPhone. If you just picked one at random it would likely go fine, as long as you have a decent fitter.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice @MDB, appreciate it. But I made a decision a long time ago that I do not want to go for a cochlear implant. They are expensive and I don’t want to undergo the risks associated with it. I also do not feel comfortable with the wire connected to the sides of my head.

To be honest, I am very adjusted to hearing aids, I remember when my current Siemens heading aids were brand new 7 years ago, I could hear so well. And frankly, Siemens isn’t even the top hearing aid provider. I am confident that Phonak, Oticon, and Resound brands will give me quality hearing. Also, hearing aids are improving and with time, I am hopeful they will continue getting better and thus helping me hear better too.

I have seen many folks in this forum talk about this feature but I do not think my hearing aid provider has done this for my existing Siemens hearing aids. If this is possible, it sounds like a game-changer.

1 Like

Frequency lowering sounds great in theory and is helpful for many, including myself. However, many people do not like it and the evidence for it’s effectiveness is sparse.

I’m sorry you’ve ruled out cochlear implant. Of the few who’ve made the decision to do it, the most common response seems to be why they didn’t do it sooner.

1 Like

Cochlear implant is a surrogate of hearing. It split sound spectrum to some bands at high frequencies only (because of short electrode arrays). If compare with vision, it moves all colours to violet and blue with 8-bit picture.

When new computer chips come out, hearing aid manufacturers will usually start with one line of products, then slowly roll out more options. Example: Phonak rolled out Marvel in the Audeo line of device (RIC or receiver-in-canal) first. It then moved into the Sky product (pediatric) line and Bolero (BTE or behind-the-ear) line. We are still waiting for Naida (power) and Virto (custom) products to be available in the Marvel chip. That does not mean that Phonak will never roll it out, just that they tend to do one style of device at a time. Just because they haven’t announced the release of a Naida UP product, does not mean that they’re never going to. And until they do, they have not discontinued the production of their current power model.
For patients who need power, I currently look at Phonak Naida B-UP, ReSound Enzo 3D, Widex Fashion Power, Unitron T Max UP, or the new Oticon Xceed. It depends on the person’s hearing loss, what they are used to, and what features they need.
There seems to also be some misunderstandings regarding cochlear implants on this thread. If anyone is truly interested in learning about cochlear implants, what they are capable of, how they actually work, and who potential candidates may be, I would recommend that you reach out to a local audiologist who works with them for a consultation appointment. Consultations are not a commitment to having surgery, but they can be opportunities to become educated on what treatment options are available and what the risks vs. benefits may be. Best wishes to you!

6 Likes

On this forum is the gossip about that at February 2020 Naida Marvel SP will be released.

That’s the gossip. This also included no Naida Marvel UP aids would be made.
We will see. I hate to think Phonak would drop that aid.

1 Like

The gossip I have heard from Phonak is that they are still working on it. UP hearing aids are harder to make than lower powered hearing aids because of the increased trouble with internal feedback, and because the population is smaller they are often left to last. But given Phonak’s history of supporting UP users, I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t eventually come out with a new UP aid.

3 Likes

I feel the same way.
Can not imagine Phonak dropping the Naida Up aid.
The source of this gossip seems to know.
We will see.

You need to trial dude - as in test a few hearing aids. If you think you can just fly into D.C. and just pick up a new hearing aid you’re playing the game the wrong way. A hearing trail should be at least 6 to 8 weeks and I doubt some HA dealer in D.C. is going to issue you (test) hearing aids and then let you fly back to your home country without a 'Major Down Deposit". Furthermore once you get a new aid - it has to be fined tuned over a period of time. In other words plan on staying in D.C. for several months or have many many planned trips to our Capitol if you want to trial more than one hearing aid.

My two cents - You could hold your breath waiting for some “rumored date” a new power aid is coming out and then die the day before it actually comes out. It other words - rumors of such and such date don’t mean squat.

You know where are you?

I plan to visit DC around March or April, not sure though. That means we will know if the Marvel Naida SP is coming or not, and we will also get clarity about their UP version. I plan to stay a month at least, so the trial is not a problem. How does the trial work though? Do the HA dealer configure different hearing aids and then I try them over a period of time and they fine-tune it and I pick the one that is best? How much do they charge for the trial? Is it included in the final hearing aid cost or is trial free?

1 Like

**This is no doubt a very stupid question, but could they go retro with a wire running from the hearing aid to some sort of amp (my grandfather used to have one about the size of a pack of cigarettes). Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest to use a system like that if it delivered significantly better performance.

FWIW:
(Ignore the 2017 header date, it’s a 12/2019 update.)

Pretty old hearing aids… And Widex Super - do it really exists?

Nice find but I don’t think they did a very good job of updating. Resound Enzo 2 has been replaced with Enzo 3D and Oticon Dynamo has been replaced with Xceed.

No stupid questions. This one is quite smart. Yes, historically HAs were body-boxes and over-the-head headphones.

When I did location recording of loud bands I had headphone monitors that would do 120dB SPL. They would make me deaf(er) if I had used that level more than a few seconds a night. Turning to large PA speakers but funneled into an ear we sure could deliver 165dB SPL. I have known cases of “instant deafness” when large PA systems squealed when someone’s head was inside the horn.

There’s no long-term benefit in raising the power in the ear so much it increases damage to the ear. 85dB SPL is OSHA-legal 16 hours a day. At 120dB SPL only 7 minutes a day; 130dB SPL just 2 minutes a day.

I am surprised to learn that standard HAs can go 131dB SPL:ENZO2-EN98DW

This product also has a full array of processing (more and more specialized than I had in my recording studio).

So my opinion: there’s not a brute-force technical reason we need a body-box anymore. We can pack enough brains and more power than an ear can stand behind our ear. Feedback at high gain remains a problem which is easier if the microphone is far from the ear; but while remote mikes have some excellent uses they are awkward in most situations.