Ear Infections repeatedly in one ear

Why are my hearing aids causing infections?

I’ve been wearing aids for about a year now, not worn for around 4 months due to constant infections in my left ear only. They aren’t full on infections but it gets soggy and have small amount discharge and the ear gets cloggy resulting in more severe deafness and uncomfortableness. This drum is perforated. other one was but at my last micro suction advised no longer perforated in right drum now.

I have a mould in left and dome in right, but I did have a dome in left originally whilst I awaited my moulds and had same issue. I clean them every evening with a dry cloth. If it was a cleaning issue might I expect the infections to occur/reoccur in the same ear?

In UK here and what I have gathered is ENT and audiology depts seem to operate independently. When I originally went for my fitting the audiologist expressed some concern that I had perforated ear drums and been referred for hearing aids…

Any advice?

I don’t know why you get so many ears infections what does your ENT say. I have been wearing aids for over 18 years and I have never had an ear infection. But I have a step son that doesn’t wear aids and he gets ear infections every time the seasons change. His issue is very small ear canals, and the fact he was born prematurely.
Have you ever had tubes in your ears? Are you always having allergy issues. I have allergies almost year round but never in my life have I had an ear infection. You need to be checked out by an ENT. I guess it could be you are allergic to the domes or the material that the ear molds are made from but again that is going to take an allergy doctor or ENT to help you.

1 Like

@jkalong

I also get slight cloudy discharge in my left ear long term but never my right.

Had more surgeries on my left due to infections.

I’m also in the UK.

1 Like

I think that might be the route I have to pursue. But I know it will be ages before I get anything done, given state of play at the min.

Maybe a titanuim mould might help to prevent infections?
These are hypoallergenic & antibacterial.
I’d ask your ENT about it.

Thanks.
No allergies I know of and if it was a case that it was an allergy to the material then I’d expect that in both ears, no?

I do have very very narrow ear canals though, it’s always remarked upon when they look in my ears, perhaps it’s that!

Will speak to my GP, to be referred back to ENT but wonderes.of anyone else had similar experiences.

@jkalong: Welcome to the Forum!

Have you had swabs cultured to determine whether the infection is bacterial or viral?

1 Like

I have profound hearing loss and for many years l used hard full shell ear molds. l know that silicone ear molds stick better to skin so l have brought new molds last year and l get inflammation on the outer ear where the molds sit. l have to go back to hard ear molds once a year. The silicone earmold doesn’t fit properly anymore because ears change every year.

1 Like

That must be very frustrating and difficult for you. I have been treating a sore area in my ear and the hearing aid creates a “wound in a jam jar” effect creating more moisture. Healing takes time and I am not sure what caused your perforation but this may have changed the equilibrium in your ear with more moisture which is then exacerbated by the hearing aid blocking it. Make sure you don’t get your ears wet in the bath/swimming/sea, I find using a hairdryer helps to reduce moisture along with having the ear empty towards the wind/sun. Ear drops further complicate the issue. When my ear starting feeling drier I gradually reintroduced the aid for 1-2 hours a day and then built it up to allow the ear to adjust and see how it goes. Good luck with getting it sorted.

2 Likes

I had a bit of an infection problem and my Md gave me a prescription for drops with a specific direction to use them twice a day for a full 7 days even though the infection would be gone in a couple days. Did the full 7 and no longer have problem.

2 Likes

Had some fungal issues on occasion. My ENT told .since I live in a high humidity environment I needed to dry out my ears and use a fungal powder combined with some time without using the ha as much as possible. This helps. I had used some rx ear drops but he explained that those only made the fungal infection worse by feeding the fungus moisture.

3 Likes