Drying Rechargeable Hearing Aids After Recharging

I have KS10 Hearing aids. I have been told that my HA should be turned off when in the drier/sanitizer. I have also been told that it isn’t necessary to turn them off. This leaves me in a quandary as too which is correct. I don’t want to ruin the battery prematurely and I also don’t want to overuse the power switch. I use the PerfectDry Lux drier that I got from Costco several months ago, after recharging the HA’s. I haven’t been able to find the specifications on the Drier, so I don’t know what the temperature is when in the drier. Thanks in advance for any input.

The specs for the Phonak Paradise models say that the maximum recommended operating temperature is 104 degrees (F). The Perfect Dry Lux specs indicate a drying temp of 104 to 113. It would probably be OK, but it does push the limits. Phonak recently releaed a new charger/drier for rechargeable hearing aids called the Charge and Care Case. It’s a bit pricey at near $ 200, but does limit the max temp to 104 degrees.

I use 312 batteries and at night I put my hearing aid in a small Tupperware with a silica gel pack.

I have owned the Dry & Store Professional for about 12 years now. It has been checked with an infrared temperature device a few times showing 104 to 105 degrees F consistently.

It has been a great dryer.

1 Like

The KS10 aids switch off automatically when they are in the charger and switch on again when removed from the charger. It looks as though there is enough room in the charger to drop in a silica-gel drying capsule.

FWIW, the dispenser who sold me myKS10’s strongly recommended using the dryer first and also allowing them to cool before charging. (They are warm to touch after drying.) Hence, my routine is as follows:

1. Before bedtime, turn off & dry.
  2. When dryer finishes (1/2 hr) unplug (for slight energy savings), put aids in charger but don’t plug in.
  3. When I get up in AM, plug in charger. Aids will be ready in 90 min. which is OK since I drink coffee, read online newspaper, have breakfast, & shave first.
  4. After above is finished, aids are ready so I put them in & unplug charger.

Sounds like some complicated suggestions. I too have been wondering about this as I have a pair of KS 10’s on order. I currently have a pair of Unitron Moxi Fit Pro’s that I’ve put in a Zepher dryer every night for 8 hours. I’ve been using it through 3 sets of aids for over 15 years now, but until now my aids were battery models.

Why be negative?
I just stated facts.

Never heard of any need to dry aids before. When I got mine the Audi never mentioned a care kit. If I had not joined the forum I would have continued as before for 20 years.
My old Siemens, 312 battery, and not waterproof got rust from sweat in the battery compartment but always worked.
On occasion I only realised I was wearing them swimming or on the shower when I noticed I could hear. Air dried and they worked.

We have an electric hot water cylinder in a cupboard so I set up my HA charger there as it is a dry environment due to heat leakage from the pipes into the cylinder.
So as the HAs charge overnight they also get gently dried.
Before I did this, I put a temperature data logger in the cupboard and checked that the maximum temperature variation was within the temperature limits for the HA
Seems to work OK

1 Like