Does Phonak still sell Paradise aids?

Wondering…are these discontinued cold, not available?

and if they are still available, downsides to buying a set?

My wire insulation just broke on my Marvels (M90-13T) and so I have an appointment to get the wires/receivers replaced next week. This happened while on a road trip, and while they never stopped working this realized my “worst hearing aid fear” which has always been losing them or damaging them while away from home (or when my audiologist is away)
So
I’m starting to think about a spare set. Was going to talk with audi about options and pricing.

My thought is
I still like my Marvels…love the autosense functionality
battery life is good with the 13 cells, T-Coil works when I need it for church, etc
& I was thinking that if I could still buy Marvels they would likely be a lot cheaper now…

& I know the Paradise models bring ability to pair two bluetooth devices which I would like A LOT
maybe also a good bit cheaper since they aren’t the latest and greatest

and I’m not even a little bit interested in rechargables, so I’d go with a different brand if it comes down to the Lumity line…

So I know the downside to getting obsolete models is lack of updates and support…but if they work, and everything is dialed in…then I’m not sure that matters all that much

Apparently Phonak no longer sells Paradise receiver-in-canal models.

You can look on eBay for used ones, although most – not all – of the offers there are rechargeable.

Have you considered replacing the receivers yourself? It’s not a hard d job and parts are very easy to buy.

6 Likes

I haven’t actually. I know how its done but never really considered where or how to get the parts!

Could probably save a bit of money that way!

bummer, that’s too bad!

It’s more than a bit
Do you do eBay?
Members here will help you if needed.

1 Like

Didn’t Marvel get a firmware update to offer this, could be worth looking into if it’s really important to you.

I think if you do a google search you will find this is not the case.

2 Likes

Probably not much help but in the UK there are several online sites that sell Paradise and other Phonak models. A pair of audeo P90’s are approx. £2300 with 4/5 yr warranty.

3 Likes

I found this phase-out/end-of-service list on the Phonak site:

6 Likes

That list sure brought back memories.
I learned to program with the Savia.

2 Likes

What a fantastic find, it’s amazing what you find on the interwebs, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Unless you were in the woods, many audiology clinics could have fix that for you at the front desk. There may have been a charge.

Where I am, the Paradise 13 RICs are still available. Ask your provider, if they say no ask them to double check and get back to you–typically the last generation model is still available for sale for quite a while when the new ones are introduced. And if there’s something that is not available in the newer line (e.g. I fit a Starkey CIC picasso on a patient recently where I needed extra room for a UP receiver that couldn’t be done with the newer products) they often continue to offer it, sometimes with reduced colour options. It may not actually be a huge savings, but a good choice if you were in love with your old hearing aids.

1 Like

I went through several updates but never one for that. There hasn’t been an update in some time now as far as I know.

wow, that’s an interesting find! looks like mine were phased out only a couple months ago. I thought it was longer ago than that!
…and serviced until October 2029. Great to know Thanks!!

1 Like

thanks…and yeah, I did consider that…if I were going to be away from home longer then I was thinking about searching for a local audiologist… I found the problem Friday morning though and I was on the boat pretty much all day…and would be home on Saturday afternoon… so figured I likely wouldn’t have been able to get into a place as a new patient anyway till I’d be home…and I figured my audi would get me in Monday (sadly not until Thursday, but they seem to be holding up with my little bit of reinforcement.

Side note. I left the aids off all day on saturday since i would be out on a boat, swimming and such anyway, I didn’t want to take a chance of being rough with them. I was really exhausted at the end of the day…and I think the lack of hearing aids had a part in that!

3 Likes

Yeah, working to hear can certainly cause fatigue.

2 Likes

Here’s a video of how to change receiver on phonak. You just need a small pin

You can buy receivers on eBay. Just make sure you get the same as what’s written on your receiver.

It cost me about $30 each on eBay.

2 Likes

thanks for that. Nice to see a tutorial video of it even though I’ve watched my audi do it before…
I’m still going to keep my appt this time, and intend to ask for my old receivers just so I can look closer at how they are made…and if I ever find some time I might revisit the question I had several years ago about setting a new bend radius in the wires for a better fit to my ears.

I do think I’ll order a spare set though from ebay to have on hand. I can see the numbers on the receivers to determine the ‘power?’, but I still need to determine which wire length/size she is using for me.

follow on question for everyone…I’m wondering how common and how frequent this sort of failure is?..
…the insulation breaking exposing the wire…or I suppose any receiver or wire failure I suppose…
just to gauge if this is some oddball occurrence or if it’s something I should plan on…say yearly for example.
I know my audi has replaced my receivers a few times while they were under warranty. once or twice as a just in case thing while trying to determine the cause of some issue or another… and I can remember at least one time only as a precautionary thing. I have no feel for how often it has been…

Phonak receivers are imprinted with a digit, 0 to 3, to indicate the wire length and (a) letter(s) to indicate the power – with your audiogram, the power is probably “M” for Moderate or Medium or Meh.

2 Likes