Do I need Roger On or Roger On iN?

Thanks @Zebras. I do have the KS10 but I have the Roger On iN and the receivers came with that.

I assume then that receivers can be bought separately and installed into the aids if you are just using Roger On?

2 Likes

Yes by having the black disk and the appropriate Roger X (2 needed if 2 hearing aids) with the correct serial number, the licenses can be transferred out into the hearing aids.

See picture as above.

2 Likes

Why does it have to be so complicated??

3 Likes

So this is why they need a Master’s or PhD!

If I understand this correctly, a user buys a roughly $1,100 Roger On device. But it’s nothing more than a pretty little brick until you spend close to another $1,000 for a bunch of other devices/processes involving an audiologist to make it work? Alternatively, I can initially spend double the price for the Roger On In and can likely make it work on my own? (I saw the instructions somewhere on this forum.)

When it’s said that the Roger On In comes with two receivers, I’m sensing that means one per hearing aid, not two pairs, so it can only be used with one set of HA at a time? That’s pretty insane considering the very poor battery life of the new Phonak HA’s.

Am I correct in assuming that I can pair/unpair/repair the receiver licenses on the Roger On In myself? While I can likely get by with having it paired to my primary set, I’d like to confirm I can re-pair the receiver licenses to my backup set of HA if needed.

I guess SO!! That must be it!

You can indeed, but I really wouldn’t recommend it. Using a Roger Installer (the black disc above) can be quirky, and at times I thought I’d lost a Roger Licence into the ether, often taking multiple attempts, for it to either transfer it in or out. I ended up getting 4x RogerX’s to enable both pairs of hearing aids, and I now leave them well alone.

Peter

1 Like

@SallyB , I have had no problems with my On In when transferring licences? Very straightforward and positive with the icons displayed on the screen.

2 Likes

I cannot function without hearing aids, so I have a backup pair of Naida P90, non-rechargeable. I also have a Roger Select iN licensed to one pair. If that pair fails, i cannot easily get the license off to transfer to the other pair. So the Roger is a paper weight. So I assume the license exist to keep multiple Phonak users from sharing a Roger On device. By the way, I did have the Roger licensed to Audeo Marvel before moving to Paridise Naida. Phonak was no help in getting it transfered to the Naida. Hours of trial and error finally worked. I do not have the infamous black disk.

If someone from Phonak is reading this would you please advise Phonak to simply get rid of the whole licensing system. Make the ON work like the TV connector and let the users not have to deal with licenses. After all, the end user is the most important part of the chain. Not the ridicuous Phonak license system.

4 Likes

What was your problem with transfer?
I’ve done this recently and it was straightforward.
As far as I know any roger mike will pair with the licences in your or any body else’s aids ie select ,table,On and pen.

2 Likes

I am trying to remember, but I think I failed to get the license off the Marvels back to the Select IN before transfering to the Paradise. This is not visual on the Select. Is it more straight forward or visual on the Roger ON iN?

My concern is either losing a hearing aid or having one damaged and not be able to get the license off the aid. I assume I would need a Roger X and the Transfer device. To get license back in the Roger ON iN. Is this correct? I assume I could perhaps go to a Phonak dealer and get new license put on the Roger ON iN. Might be cheaper to buy the Transfer and two Roger X and do it yourself.

Last question. Can a Paradise hold a license for both the Select and the ON at the same time? I assume you would need them both installed.

The license enables the hearing aid for both any Roger Mic (Type 3 for Pen/On/Select etc).

Thanks Peter, I think I am catching on. So if I damage a hearing aid, I send it back to Phonak and they reinstall a license. If I want to move to my spares, I take the license off the two hearing aids and reinstall. I take it the hearing aids have room for any two Direct devices. I called Phonak here in the USA, but they only want to talk to audiologist. As a retired controls engineer, I usually know more than the audi about networking. I taught mine how to do pairing.

I suppose you can buy a Roger X 3 off eBay, but you would also need an installer. Direct took that away, but did not solve the problem of removing a license from a lost or damaged hearing aid.

I like the simplicity of the TV Connector that uses Bluetooth and does not care about licenses. Looks like all the knowledge about Roger resides in the UK. I can see where iN made it easier, but the license is still an impediment. However, Direct didget rid of the neck loop we never had with us. The Select works great at the dinner table, but the ON looks more versitile.

Hearing Tracker rocks with knowledge from around the world. Thanks again.

2 Likes

@pclewis ,the transfer system uses flashing lights for the select and pen.
Graphic display for the On.
If you loose your aids it seems Phonak says tough luck.
If they are damaged then you could be lucky and get them back to the On.
I think you are beginning to understand now.
Remember Roger is for audis as far as Phonak is concerned and all the information is on the pro website if you really want to spend the time.

So, another knowledgable Brit. I love you guys. Phonak’s pro website helps, but does not answer everything.

Is this right? The key for license is the serial number of the iN device. I have to install license from both the Select and the ON on both hearing aids. Direct with iN just lets you do it without the Installer and Roger X. I can see a real mess if two people were at the table with ON that were not paired or SN sensitive. I should all the SN’s in Target.

However, still possible to use older ON without iN, but you need the Installer and Roger X. If you don’t already have this, you might as well go the iN route since the total cost is similar.

Why can’t someone from Phonak tell me this? Because I am not an audi. Over the counter HA’s here in the US may get some of their market, but the Phonaks of the world own people with our hearing loss. I have no complaints about their products.

We are rare grandparents that can do more with computers and electronics than our grandkids.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t understand some of what you asking.
Serial numbers are not related to licences.
Remember that in addition to transferring licences you still have to pair your aids with the microphone before it works. This stops others from connecting to your aids without your permission.
You seem to have Target. The licences show up as "03 licence installed "for each aid.
However you get there you need four licences for two aids and one microphone.
The rest is expense and convenience.
I think what Phonak does is despicable but you can see a defence in using the audi as a screen.
Unfortunately the experience of members on here is abysmal re Roger.
For us lazy members however we have "Roger Google " which is almost instant and very reliable. She is called @Zebras and is very knowledgeable and has the patience of Job.
A search will reveal the hundreds of posts she has solved.

4 Likes

Agree 100% on @Zebras… Ruth is a very cleaver cookie, and an extreme asset to this forum… Helped me out on dozens of occasions…Thank you Ruth :heart: (I hope you are now suitably embarrassed) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And yes, IMO sometimes Ruth’s patience wears a bit thin, totally understandable though! I cannot praise Ruth highly enough, a wonderful human being, and very brave, when you consider her health issues!!! Cheers Kev :grin:

3 Likes

Agreed on Ruth, she gave me all the info needed to get Target going, and in understanding Roger.

Having said that, before buying private, I took my Roger On into my NHS Audiologist. Her response: “What’s that?”

My current, excellent, Audiologist had very little knowledge of Roger, as he generally doesn’t deal with Phonak. He was far more interested though.

This forum really is the best resource on the internet. Before jouning, I had very badly programmed Marvel M70s, where people had to continually repeat themselves, to much better programmed P90s and much improved M70s, which I experiment with. Both have Roger installed, and I have a Roger On and Roger Select.

Peter

2 Likes

Roger X
Can someone help please ?
The picture is showing an Roger Receiver, beneath the connectors is engraved: 1131NY3L9

• Is this the serial number of the Roger Receiver ? Or can the serial number found somewhere else on the receiver housing?