DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

By the way, I received the pair of OPN 1 and Connect Clip and they seem to work out fine. One of the receivers was not up to par but luckily I had a spare to replace it with. Otherwise it’d be $50 for a new one from eBay.

Yeah, well, these probably fell off the back of a truck. They were sold, not cancelled. I would have no problem buying new/factory-packaged hearing aids while relying on my credit card chargeback rights to claw the money back if they are not-as-described.

With all EBay hearing aid purchases, you never want them sent back to the manufacturer in case they might get confiscated.

Yes, the biggest risk is that they work now but if they stop working and it’s not something simple like a receiver which can be bought and replaced, then you’re out luck.

Actually I heard about someone who bought from buyhear and their OPN went bad (not the receiver) and they managed to get Loyd to repair it for them somehow for a fee.

The most plausible source of premium hearing sales not from companies is likely from veterans who enjoy new and free premium hearing aids from the VA every few years, so they get to sell their previous premium hearing aids on eBay. I guess the VA doesn’t ask for the old pair back.

I guess non veterans can do this as well (resell their older hearing aids), but they are more likely to wear their hearing aids a lot longer before they upgrade compared to veterans who get to upgrade to another premium brand for free more frequently.

This question is not specific to the OPN programming, but more about programming with a software that has in-situ audiometry. But since I’m only doing OPN programming with the Genie 2 software, might as well post it here on this thread.

Also would like to have some opinion of a couple of our esteemed pros, @Um_bongo and @Neville.

So here’s the question.

Since Genie 2 has restored the in-situ audiometry functionality, and to give you an idea how far off things deviate from the original audiogram, it does graphically show the original audiogram that was input into the Genie 2 to determine the target prescription.

The question is that if I want to make an adjustment, say to reduce my mid frequencies a little bit, specifically at say 1 and 2 KHz.

The obvious way would be to go into the fine tuning section and make amplification adjustments to the 1 and 2KHz data points. But in this case, there are 3 levels of adjustments, for Loud, Moderate and Soft, and I’m not sure how much to adjust to each level.

Then there’s also a question of how many dBs do I want to adjust. Of course with the DIY advantage, I can just try out a few dBs and if not enough, go back for more fine tuning.

Then I’d have to think about how to keep the balance on both ears, because the loss on both ears may be different at those 2 data points, meaning whether I use the same incremental adjustments on both ears, or deciding on some kind of proportional adjustment. I have no idea how I would even go about deciding on what the proportional adjustment would be.

Then I’d have to also keep track of how much I adjusted the first time around, then the second time, etc, in case I want to undo/redo, etc, which can be a hassle. Maybe it starts getting more complicated after a while

But I was thinking “How about just make the adjustment I want using the in-situ audiometry instead?” This way, I only have to decide on adjusting the threshold levels on those 2 data points, then let Genie 2 automatically re-prescribe based on my in-situ changes. At least that seems a lot simpler than having to go in and figure out how to do the actual fine tuning myself.

Is there any flaw in this thinking? Pros and cons? Thanks.

1 Like

I never ever use the oticon in situ. I’ll use the widex sensogram, but I have not found any of the other manufacturer in situs to be beneficial.

But sure, that’s not an unreasonable way to go about things. Except I imagine it limits you to 5 dB step sizes. (Edit: Maybe not. If I close my eyes and imagine the genie software, I seem to recall you can just type your thresholds in on the audiogram screen, and that probably allows to the 1 dB.)

When fiddling with compression (i.e. adjusting the levels separately) keep in mind that increasing compression may increase audibility for soft sounds and comfort for loud sounds, but it also increasingly distorts speech cues. More severe losses on the one hand may require more compression because of the reduced dynamic range for loudness, but they also tolerate less compression because there is already a significant amount of distortion in the ear itself and so the temporal cues in speech (which get smooshed with compression) are more important. So it’s a bit of a twitchy balance. I think I mentioned earlier–prescritive targets haven’t settled on a preferred amount of compression. Try flipping back and forth between NAL-NL2 and DSL 5.0 and looking at the differences in compression.

If in doubt, adjust all levels together.

You can certainly do that, the risk is that you’ll drift the aid towards settings you prefer rather than the best prescriptive model for your hearing. That said, it’s just as good as any other subjective model of fitting, if a bit more long winded.

1 Like

Thank you both for your inputs!

Hi there,
I am new to this forum, I follow this thread but I still confused… I just had new OTICON OPN and I am looking for step by step to enter the audiogram test into the gennie2. In my audiogram, I have symbol ] [ but I can’t find any where to in gennie2 a feature to add this symbol ([], I think this is mean masked for UCL feature). Please advice
and I am sorry if this is not a right thread to post this question

thank you

Thank you so much PVC!
I have few more questions please. I heard if I did not do audio-gram correct, I can put myself at deaf permanently. Is this true? (this statement is kind of scary to me)
So by learning from this thread, I took Cosco hearing test and put into audio-gram of Gennie2 then try to adjust solid line to close to dashed line on both ears in fitting tab. Would any of you please give me the feedback if I did these right please?

Here is my Hearing test from Cosco and my audio-gram. Would you please let me know if I entered value correctly base on my hearing test below
Thank you all for your help

Thank you so much PVC!

Here is my Hearing test from Cosco:

I wanted to add one more picture from fitting tab but I can’t, due to newest membership…
I will try to upload if I can

Is there a primer for “default” programming using just the audiogram?

If the hearing aids are currently programmed (for example programmed to your hearing loss by your Audi) then you will surely want to save those settings first!!

Otherwise you create a client, enter the audiogram for that client, select the proper acoustics (dome, vent size, etc) and do a first fit.

Maybe you can get the gist of that by watching the following video.

I am not familiar with he Oticon programming. I have read you need fresh batteries. Not sure if this is like pairing. I do Phonak wired. Once you are ready to detect, try opening and closing the aid battery doors.
Hopefully one of the Oticon members will jump in.

I’ve heard report from @Um_bongo in another thread that the OPN firmware version 7 is now available in a new Genie 2 update that was pushed out to audiologists yesterday.

I went online to check but still only saw the 2019.1 version on the Oticon sites that I normally download softwares from. An update check on my Genie 2 software installation also said that there’s no new update yet.

@pvc who was able to find the 2019.1 Genie 2 update last time pretty early on before they were made available in the more public places, I wonder if you may know where to find the new Genie 2 software update this time as well? Thanks.

Checked three sources; all have 2019.1.1 (2019.1 SP1) as latest. WIll be watching.

Today I updated the program “Oticon Genie updater” to version 2019.2 and firmware opn 1 to version 6.1 :slight_smile:

Best regards

Can you share where you downloaded the new software from? I live in the US and just tried to do an update check and it could not find 2019.2 yet. I’m still on 2019.1.

I looked under the Canada Oticon download support website and it hasn’t posted the 2019.2 version there yet. Usually this is where I find the most updated download version before:

https://orders.oticon.ca/en/software-support

You can download Genie 2019.2 from UK:
http://www.oticonsupport.co.uk/Downloads.htm

Do you know any new features of firmware 6.1? After I updated 6.1, but I could not find any difference with 6.0.