DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

Enjoy the loud world, I do.

I hate the sensation when hearing aids go hunting for the right amount of noise reduction. For example, when you are driving a car (alone) and the hearing aids start hunting for just the right amount of road noise reduction for you. I prefer the steady cacophony of road noise (which my brain will tune out) over the artifical volume-down/volume-up from trying-to-be-helpful hearing aids.

Thanks,
I like them a lot, much better overall than the Pure 7bxs.

Question:
I am not seeing a way to set the start up volume in Genie, I see it in Connexx for the Pure bx’s but not in Genie.
I would like them to start up a step or 2 lower.
Am I missing something??

Thanks again
Mike

But don’t lose track of your bread crumb trail of what you have changed.

I was wondering what that was.
I have to do more studying.

Thanks

SIMULATE mode is your friend.

At FAMILY, Click the SIMULATE mode and then make you way to FITTING. Then click a bunch of buttons just to see what they do. Click them with and without the double circle button (binaural settings on/off). Then discard everything and exit. Best to do this with a made up client (Joe Blow) and not your own settings. Do this without using a programming device so as to not accidentally connect to your hearing aids.

Pay attention to which program (P1, P2, etc) you are fiddling around with.

I have things set pretty much the way I would like.
Thanks for the pointers.

One thing that I cannot seem to clear up is a slight hiss, similar to tinnitus sounds in a quiet environment.
It is very minor and do not hear it at all if there is any background noise like the TV or music playing only in a totally quiet environment do I hear the hiss.

Am I asking for too much ??

Mike

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/search?q=hiss

It can be a slight feedback issue. Maybe you can rerun the feedback analyzer to see if it goes away. You can also see if there’s enough margin left on the gain or not based on the amplification chart as shown in Genie 2.

If the hiss is actually a very low frequency static floor noise, chances are that you use the Full Directional value in your Directionality setting. This is a side effect of applying directionality to most hearing aids. Change that value to Open Automatic and this static noise will go away. This noise is very mild so you’ll only notice it in a quiet environment.

1 Like

That seems to have helped, Thanks!!

I have also been playing around with online hearing tests and found the results very comparable to my Audi’s audio-gram results with 1 exception,
The online test shows both my ears very much the same vs the right staying flat from 4-8k @ 80db on the Audi test.
So I reprogrammed them both the same (improving from 80 to 50 db in the 4-8k range) and I like it much better.
I just made the audio-gram changes in Genie and let the software reprogram to the revised audio-gram and ran feedback analyzer to get rid of some feedback

The only way I can explain it is the brain “learns” as you go, so i think the brain is so used to hearing a blended sound from both ears it has trouble getting used to the different levels from left and right.

I actually have the same issue with eye glasses, my eyes test slightly different from each other but i tried having the different lenses and didn’t like it.
I continue to have both eyes made the same even though they test differently and have no issues.

I’m thinking it is similar with HAs, unless there is a vast difference between ears, keep it simple Sam. Don’t strain the brain to learn something new, it’s already full of useless crap.

I will continue to experiment.
Love the OPN1s, TV Streamer and my “Old Crap” NOAHlink.

Mike

When you said the online test, did you mean the in-situ audiometry option available in Genie 2? If not, then you should really try out this functionality in Genie 2. It should be much better than an online test because you actually use the OPN to generate the test tones for you. Then you can represcribe the OPN to be based on the in-situ result.

This is what I did for myself and I’m much happier with the represcribed result than the original prescription based on my original audiogram.

You’ll also be able to compare side by side your in-situ result with the audiogram that you entered into Genie 2.

You can also run the in-situ test on a periodical basis to check and see if your hearing loss has changed for the worse or not.

No, I was talking of the online tests https://hearingtest.online/ seemed to work well for me.

I tried to simulate the In-Situ but I can’t seem to get to get it to do anything.
Didn’t try it with HAs connected, wanted to simulate first.
Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and connect them and see how it works.

Thanks
Mike

You can’t simulate in-situ. It plays tones inside your ears using the hearing aids.

This instruction through me off:

Simulation mode

Even if instruments are not connected, it is still possible to see the In-situ Audiometry tool in simulation mode. However, it is not possible to enter results.

Thanks

Now that the OPN has been out for 2.5 years, there seems to be more supply of it on eBay for a good price. A couple of days ago, an auction ended for a pair of OPN 1 with the winning bid of $1,100 (I participated in that bid but lost). I also see a pair of OPN 1 with the Z power battery doors (but no ZPower charger) for $1,795 buy it now price with 2 weeks return policy.

I’ve been looking for a Connect Clip on eBay but did not find any available from the US for a good price. Amazon has one available but for $400 which is not a good deal to me. But I saw a package of OPN 1 pair with a Connect Clip on auction. I won that auction last night for $1,090. I think that’s a good price especially with the Connect Clip included. I will also have good use for the extra pair of OPN 1 that I just won as well.

Anyway, just thought I’d share this on the forum so DYI folks who are in the market for OPNs on eBay are aware that eBay supplies of used OPNs have seemed to be picking up nicely. Needless to say eBay purchases always carry risks that you should be willing to take on in order to find and get a good deal.

1 Like

Good job @Volusiano :+1:

Oticon Genie2 software: were can I find the standalone database in W10 ?

Thanks, but this was not the question.
I do have the Genie 2 software, but I want to make a regular backup of the standalone database.
In which W10 folder is this database located?

Did you know that each Client session is automatically saved for you? In other words, each fitting session has it’s own entry in the database. When you are viewing a Client, click on the little “>” arrow next to the Client Id to expand the Genie client view to show each session.

Also; I opened a new thread for you;

Which location/folder contains the Oticon Genie 2 Client-Settings?

@Volusiano; A pair of NEW Oticon Opn 2 Mini Rites went for $600 . Scroll down this EBay link.

Tip: Click “Save this search” and EBay will send you email notifications anytime a new listing event occurs;

c1

That’s interesting that the detailed description said that they’re a company buying and selling retail items from companies going out of business or liquidators, but they’ve only had 3 eBay transactions so far. I’d rather buy from an individual than a company with that little sale history. Seems kind of fishy.

The other thing I notice is that there didn’t seem to be an auction for the item. It says that this item is no longer available. It doesn’t say that this item was sold. I’ve bought a few pairs of Apple Airpods that I thought was a good deal only to have eBay remove the listing because it was a fraudulent listing by hackers who hacked into dormant accounts. Sometimes eBay detects this before a sales happens and they remove the listing, that’s when you click on the item and it says that this item is no longer available. Otherwise it should have said that this item has been sold.