DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

Oticon Genie 2 SP1 Update is out. I downloaded and installed it this morning.

I’m not sure what the Service Pack added, changed, or fixed, but I thought I would let users know that it’s available.

If I find what the changes were, I’ll post a link.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. You can also use Genie Updater (usually running in your sys-tray) to download and then update to (Genie 2|2017.2.SP1). Or, depending on how you have set Genie Updater Preferences the download and update of SP1 could be done automatically. If you have your Genie Updater Preferences set to automatically download and automatically update, then be patient for a day or two.

1 Like

My Genie updater downloaded the SP1 update and I installed it. It installed parts 1 and 2 ok but never finished part 3 - I finally had to kill the process. It didn’t seem to affect the Genie software at all as best I can tell and it shows that it is updated to SP1.

Like Mikejl I don’t know what the service pack changed - I can’t detect anything different when I run Genie 2.

Does anyone know where to find a list of the changes that the service pack made?

Successful here. The third part was about 3 minutes with a lot of disk activity on a fast system.Genie%20SP2

I also have a fast system and a solid state disk which is very fast. I let the process run for well over half an hour and then looked at it with the Windows 10 task manager and it showed no activity at all - no disk reads or writes and no memory or cpu usage.

When I check the “about” for Genie 2 I get exactly the same build number as you did. Strange…

At least it all seems to work just fine. I have used it to make a few changes to my OPN aids programming since I ran the update with no problems…

Found a SP1 standalone update file here.

Downloaded (78MB), unzipped it and there is nothing within that gives info on what was changed. Just a setup file.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully Oticon will eventually produce something that tells us what was changed and/or updated. I suppose that it was just bug fixes but we’ll probably never know.

What frequencies would I lower to reduce the crackling / rustling noise you get when you open a cellophane type of bag. IE: potato chips or ready to eat salad bag.

Right now the sound is unnatural and a bit loud. If I turn the volume down 1 or 2 clicks, it sounds much more natural. I would like to lower only those specific frequencies.

I’m hoping someone has already worked this out, if not I’ll do it myself by trial and error.

Mike

Both Android and IOS have frequency capturing applications that might get you into the neighborhood. I have not used them.

What I do is simply get used to some things being loud. Water splashing in the sink, paper crinkling, clanking from putting dishes away. It doesn’t bother me much anymore. I prefer loudness to everything dull comfort sounds.

Thanks, that’s a good place to start.

Mike

I may end up back to these settings after awhile when the newness of being able to do my own tweaks wears off, but right now I want to see if I can make some improvements.

Mike

Hi…i am a new user here.In my case I used different program settings and also to update the firmware to version 4.0 but since I am not an audiologist my knowledge of how all the programming options work and exactly what they do is limited.

pcb prototyping

@Volusiano has posted several times on the subject; Here’s a search.

I’m would be cautious about doing this if you intend to make this modification as a permanent thing in your default program. By notching out the frequencies where this sound reside, you’ll cripple other sounds that you want to hear in those frequencies as well. You’ll end up turning your highly expensive OPN into a cheap sounding device.

I would suggest that you just do what you’ve been doing for this, turn down the volume a couple of notches, and go back to normal volume when all done. Otherwise make a new program for it where you either notch out the frequencies or just reduce the overall volume in that program. The trick is to remember to go back to the default program when you’re done. Which is about the same amount of work as reducing the overall volume then go back to the default volume level.

If I were you, I’d just reduce the volume temporarily like you’ve been doing.

1 Like

That’s sound advice (excuse the pun :wink: ). My efforts to reduce the crackling / rustling noise were only minimally successful.

I try to use my audiogram as the guide when making adjustments. I have 5 to 10 db differences between the right and left ear for some frequencies. So I don’t have any setting differences larger than 1 or 2 for my loudness settings.

I appreciate what you are saying and share concerns about making changes that might be counterproductive or potentially damaging.

Mike

In the world of Opn I would give some credence to the mind gradually “adjusting” its interpretation of the amplified crinkle sound. The hearing aid engine does what it was told to do (pretty closely, nothing is perfect) When we hear what may have become a dim memory (think crinkle) again we may fault the engine. That may be a premature conclusion. Of course, the mind does not actually hear sounds at all.

After replying to Volusiano, I went into Genie 2 to get information for a feedback question I’ve been wanting to ask. I opened my current fittings and got sidetracked. Just for the heck of it I filled out the Personalize questions under ‘Selection’ and let the software change my prescription.

It made significant changes to my Normal program and none to the other 3. I wrote the new settings to my aids and so far I like them. Since we were just discussing my question about crackling / rustling noise, I went into the kitchen and handled a bag of chips. The sound was completely normal. Not harsh or loud or unnatural. I plan use these setting for a while and see how they work out.

Is anyone else using the Genie 2 settings made from their Audiograms without any changes?

Mike

Yes , I concluded the default was very good for me. Any changes I experimented with worsened the end result. Who would have imagined that a thousand Oticon engineers could be smarter than me.

1 Like

Yes, the 5 questions from Genie 2 should have been the first thing to answer to personalize the settings based on your likings in the first place. I assumed that your audi already did that for you in the first place so that’s why I didn’t bring it up.

But it’s good that you discovered it again and re-adjusted it again because in the beginning you may not really know what you really want or what situations you would encounter more often.

So it seems like in the beginning you thought you wanted clear crisp (sharp and distinct) sounds but in the end that amplified the chip bag effect too much for your liking. So in this case, it’s great to go back and readjust the personalized settings to change to soft and round like I assume was what you did.

Beside the personalization settings, another more general way to adjust the tonality of the sound is in the Fittings->Fine Tuning ->Sound Controls and adjust the brightness perception toward Fuller in your case. I suspect that the personalization selection of soft and round sound will move this brightness perception scale toward Fuller for you already. You can play around with Genie 2 to confirm this if you want.