DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

I’m surprised she didn’t have me answer those questions during my initial visit or at my follow up visit 3 weeks later. Although in all fairness I don’t think my answers would have been the same as they were today.

Of course the chip bags weren’t the only times I would get that effect, but your assessment is pretty much spot on.

I had ‘Brightness perception’ set one click towards Fuller. It defaulted back to center after applying the personalization settings. So far it seems good at the default setting.

The settings in Accessories --> Phone --> General Perception - also went back to default settings. I reset Phone Loudness back to full ‘Louder’, and left Sound Quality and Power Bass at defaults. I had different custom settings for Right & Left aids before.

I experimented with the above settings and had several phone conversation tests with my wife. They verified that the default settings actually sounded the best. The jury is still out if listening to audio books is better or worse. I haven’t had time to listening to one for more than a couple of minutes today.

Mike

Will going from Fitting Level 85 to 100 give me more gain with less feedback?

Here is why I ask. At my first fitting with the Audi, we tried a different domes and I ended up liking and still use the Bass Dome Single Vent. The Genie 2 program suggested the Bass Dome Double Vent after my Audiogram was input. So I’m basically using the recommended dome for my hearing.

When we tried the recommend fitting for the Bass Domes, the Feedback Analyzer cut off too much gain so she selected Open Domes in Genie to get around the feedback problem. As you can see in the screenshots below, I lost much of the recommended gain that I would have gotten from having the correct domes selected. I really want to try the settings that Genie recommends for my audiogram and domes.

When I look at the Fitting Level for my audiogram, It doesn’t look like it would be much of a strech for me to go with the 100 receiver. (see screenshot below).

One concern I have is when I change the fitting level to 100 in Genie, a warning pops up about the sound pressure capability (see screenshot). I’m thinking there must be a way to limit that in Genie to keep it at safe levels.

Bass Dome suggested settings:

Bass Dome after feedback analysis:

Open Dome suggested settings:

Fitting Levels:

Fitting Level 100 warning:

Are you planning to actually changing to the 100dB receiver for real physically? Or just force the Genie 2 setting to 105dB even though you are actually wearing the 85dB receivers? I wouldn’t recommend doing the later.

I actually have a set of 85dB receivers and a set of 105dB receivers. I have the feedback manager enabled on both of them. On my right ears I have 7.5 dB headroom for both, but in my left ear I have 7.5 dB headroom for the 105dB receiver and 10 dB headroom on the 85dB receiver. Go figure. But your situation may be different because your hearing loss is different than mine.

Of course I have custom molds with the 105dB receivers. I have bass domes with single vent on the 85dB.

I’m planning to actually change to the 100db receiver physically. It wouldn’t eliminate feedback by just changing it in the software. I’m not sure where I’ll find them to buy at the moment, but that’s my plan if I can get the feedback headroom.

That is interesting and not at all what I would have expected from looking at your audiogram, I wouldn’t think an 85 would be considered for you, but I probably don’t understand all the factors that go into choosing a receiver.

Mike

I am pretty simplistic. Feedback occurs when the output of the ‘receiver’ or speaker is ‘heard’ by the microphones used by the hearing aid. How is a more potent (105) receiver going to make an improvement? The molds, IMHO, are the key. And molds can be tweaked ad nauseum. Mine were tweaked. Feedback disappeared.

My audi picked the 85dB receivers for me. She was hoping they would work for me so I wouldn’t have to go the custom molds route.

I later told her I wanted to buy the 105dB receivers with custom domes to see if I could hear better with my right ear with them, because I think the 85dB is underpowered for my right ear loss. So she ordered them for me.

Truth be told, the 105dB receivers didn’t really help that much more for me because my right ear’s high frequencies loss drops off so fast and steep into the severe to profound zone that it’s pretty much a goner and even the 105dB receivers are not much help.

I find that using the Speech Rescue frequency lowering is a more effective way of reclaiming those highs than trying to amplify the heck out of those highs. And I can do that just fine with the 85dB receivers. Plus the 85dB receivers are much more inconspicuous than the 105dB receivers with the custom molds. So I’ve been wearing the 85dB receivers ever since and I’m saving the 105dB receivers for a rainy day when my hearing loss worsens and finally needs the 105dB.

I think what your audi did by faking to the open domes in Genie 2 to trick the software is probably not the correct way to do it nor is it a good workaround.

That probably changed the prescription of the gain significantly as you have seen in the insertion gain charts. Now you have an insertion gain that’s not optimized for the correct dome fitting. I would think the prescribed gain between the bass domes and the open domes would be significantly different.

One option to gain headroom is to not enable the feedback manager. One way to avoid enabling the feedback manager is to go with custom molds and control the amount and size of venting. So you can consider trying out custom molds for your 85dB receivers. But this experiment will cost you money for the custom molds.

I think a change to either the 100dB or 105dB receivers would require custom molds by default as well. I’m not sure if these bigger receivers will give you the extra headroom you want because I think you’re also limited by the MPO constraint. So depending on where your MPO constraint is, the more powerful receivers may not give you the extra headroom you want anyway.

I tried this and the feedback is much worse.

There are 2 options for the 100 db receivers. One without custom mold and one with.

That may very well be the case. It wouldn’t be a disaster if the experiment with the 100 db receiver didn’t pan out. I’m not unhappy with my current fittings. The two programs I use most often are working pretty good. They might even be optimal.

I want to stay with the Bass Domes. They are comfortable and no occlusion. I had custom molds made years ago for my Phonak Audeo’s. I tried them for a week and I couldn’t stand them.

I was hoping someone would know definitively if the trying 100 db receivers would give me more Feedback headroom.

I’m not expecting the higher power receiver to eliminate feedback altogether. I’m thinking it might move the feedback threshold enough to where the Bass Dome fitting settings would no longer be in the feedback range. I don’t know if this is true or not, that is more or less why I’m asking.

Mikejl,
Your courteous reply is appreciated. After a dicey tuning process my patient audi and I were able to configure a set of acrylic molds that virtually eliminate feedback and fit so well that I can scarcely tell I am wearing them. The molds are now on their third set of hearing aids spanning ten years. That experience sponsors my comments. Best of luck going forward though I hope luck has a minuscule role.

1 Like

Ah, that must be something new. When I was getting my 105dB receivers ordered, my audi told me there wasn’t an option to go with domes for the 100dB receivers.

Yeah, in my case my 105dB receivers not only gave me the same headroom on my worse ear (the right one), it gave me less headroom on the better ear (left ear, 7.5dB vs 10db.

And to clarify, the headroom I’m talking about is the amount shown as Reserve Gain under VC (Volume Control?) as shown in the Fitting window in Genie 2.

1 Like

Is the reserve gain the same as the difference between the ‘Analyzed Feedback Margin’ and ‘Fitting Target’?

Well I went ahead and ordered a pair of 100’s this morning. My OCD won’t be satisfied until I try them and find out one way or the other.

I’ll post back here in a week or two and let you know if I wasted my time and money or not.

Mike

I received the 100 dB receivers today. I’m not sure if I’m going to test them out now. It doesn’t appear it will be necessary.

A package of 8mm Power Domes also came in today. The input I got from Volusiano and VinceJ above got me to rethink my approach to reducing feedback. I decided to find out if still have the same aversion to occlusion I had 10 years ago.

Turns out the Power Domes work great to reduce feedback down to acceptable levels when I use the Genie 2 recommended settings for my audiogram (see screenshot below). So I’m really happy about that.

The occlusion isn’t as bad as I remember it being. That may be because my low frequency hearing has gotten a little worse over the years. I think I can probably get used to it. The Power Domes aren’t nearly as comfortable as the Bass Domes, but they aren’t terrible. I’ve been wearing them for a few hours now and haven’t felt like I needed to rip them out of my ears yet.

As for the 100dB Receivers, I’ll either save them or put them up on ebay. To be honest, with my tinnitus, the warning Genie 2 gives when you select 100 dB fitting really makes me leery about using them.

Я купил NoahLink Wireless в марте 2018 по интернету из Кореи.

Мои слуховые аппараты приобретенные в Израиле
От Oticon OPN 2 с прошивкой 5.0

Программа Genie 2 2017.2 SP1
2018-04-05_113934
Мой audi отказался мне помощь в подключении
У меня при подключении к слуховым аппаратам
выдаёт
Есть ли ещё какая нибудь возможность согласовать
OPN2 с NoahLink Wireless?
Буду благодарен любой помощи.Koval_Sergey_05.04.2018.pdf (202.4 KB)

Hi all. I have a pair of Oticon opn 1 HAs and a HiPro with all the cables. I have full access to everything via Genie 2 but before I start to make changes I want to save all existing settings somewhere so that if I screw up I can easily restore the settings done by my Audi. Anyone know how to do this?

Scroll back up to this discussion.

I restarted my computer today after a long while and I noticed that Genie installed an update for me (I set it to check and install updates automatically). A quick check shows 2017.2.SP1 as the latest version as seen below. I assume that my previous version before this recent update was the plain version 2017.2 without the SP1 part, but I’m not sure.

Just curious if anybody else recently received such as update?

Also, I wonder if this comes with a new firmware update 6 for the OPN or something like that? Is there a way to quickly check for new firmware without having to pull out the MiniPro and connect the cables to the OPNs and all that?

Service Pack 1 has been out for a while. I downloaded and installed it several weeks ago from here: Oticon hearing aids | Rediscover the sounds of your life. I checked for a firmware update for my OPN3 yesterday after connecting to my Mini-pro and the response was that I had the latest firmware which is version 5.