DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

As pvc said use the Oticon Genie Updater tool to update it, although i just checked and it is available to download now.

Yep, it’s in there;

1. Go To Family
  2. Click a hearing aid model to simulate a connection
  3. Click the link Programming devices

Capture

I ran the Genie updater but it said it didn’t find any new update (I’m on Genie 2017.1).

I also just checked the www.oticon.com/help site and it’s still only showing Genie 2017.1. But I tried PVC’s links for the Oticon Canada support site and found the 2017.2 there.

On the bottom of your screen on the taskbar (over to the right) click the up arrow to see your sys-tray. In the sys-tray you should find Genie Updater. Right-button click Genie Updater and select “Check for Update”. Also Genie 2 2017.2 is available in the normal place. That is;

1. Click any pvc Avatar
  2. Click pvc’s main thread
  3. The first link in pvc’s main thread will lead you to the Fitting Software

Here’s a picture of how to do the first 2 Clicks;

1 Like

Yeah, I did exactly this and it told me there’s no new update. So I got 2017.2 in the normal place in your link (the Canadian Oticon support site).

My Genie Updater worked fine; When you Right-button click Genie Updater check your Preferences. You can have it download updates automatically. So maybe you had already automatically downloaded the update??
Capture

Yeah, I’ve had it set to automatic download and automatic install and check every day in the Preferences settings. But nothing happened and when I opened up Genie 2 it was still 2017.1 for me.

I’ll betcha it was going to wait one more day since it probably already checked today.

Maybe uncheck the Automatic Download option if you want to intervene and manually get the updates as soon as possible.

OK, I got Genie 2 2017.2 installed (I had to uninstall 2017.1 first or else the 2017.2 install fails). Also did the firmware 5.0 update with the MiniPro (took about 25 minutes). I used a brand new set of batteries for the firmware update as recommended.

I had a hard time re-pairing the newly updated OPN 1s with my TV Adapter 3.0. Don’t know why. I tried to connect my TV Adapter to the computer via USB to see if there’s any new firmware update for the TV Adapter as well, but my computer couldn’t detect the TV Adapter for some reason (although it could detect the OPN 1s just fine). I had to reset the TV Adapter to factory default a few times and finally was able to pair my newly updated OPN 1s with it (whew!).

I tried out the in-situ audiometry feature and the result came pretty close to my audiogram result with the audi test, but the high frequency areas vary slightly. At the very high ends (4KHz and up), I find that I cannot increase it further than where my audiogram test went. I guess that it’s a limitation of my 85dB receivers.

I let Genie 2 2017.2 re-prescribe my OPN 1 based on the in-situ result afterward. I could tell a slight increase in the highs after I re-prescribe to the in-situ.

My audi never bothered with doing a REM test for me. I asked why not and she told me that it’s because I seem to be doing well with the OPN 1s so she’s confident that the REM would just confirm that the OPN 1s are performing as expected, so she doesn’t think it’s necessary. She said she only does the REM if her patients are struggling with the fitting. I thought it was kind of a cop-out answer but I let it slide. At least with the in-situ results now, although it’s not the same as the REM test, at least it kinda help confirm that the OPN 1s are performing as expected. So it’s better than nothing I guess.

Because the firmware 5.0 update reset some of my settings back to factory defaults, I had to go through the entire Genie 2 2017.2 parameters and readjust my settings back to the way I had it before with firmware 4.0.

So far a success. There is some documentation on what the difference between Genie 2 2017.2 and 2017.1 is. I can’t find any documentation stating how firmware 5.0 is better/different than firmware 4.0. If anybody has info to this effect, I’d appreciate they share it here with everyone else. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing. Personally I am hesitant to upgrade to 5.0 unless the current programming can be retained. After hours of tweaking and audiologist visits including REM, I finally got my hearing aids programmed the way I like. I would prefer to not go through that effort again. Is there a way to save the programming after upgrading the firmware?

I’ve never played with printing out the settings so I don’t really know what the best way to save it with. I think the feature settings are easy to remember. I know mine like the back of my hands and I didn’t have to write anything down. But if you’ve spent a lot of time with the Fine Tuning section where you go in there and adjusted the gains at various frequency bands and various volume levels (loud/medium/soft, etc), then I’d simply take a screen shot of it and that would be your print out of the settings. You can also take a screen shot of your Compression Ratio tables to document it. Then after you switch to FW 5.0, simply go through the Fine Tuning section and re-enter the gains like you had it before in FW 4.0 and you should be all set again.

That’s how my audi did it for me when going from FW 2.0 to FW 4.0. But then I did not mess with the Fine Tuning section that extensively so there was only a couple of data points/adjustments that were made and easily remembered.

1 Like

Isn’t there a way to save a fitting session and restore it after you’ve done the firmware update?

It could be that the roll out is phased if the server is limited (and they all are). Or the distribution network is itself distributed around the globe. There are dozens of reasons not to be simultaneous. Nothing is in absolute sync and I suspect it was never planned to be simultaneous. Phase the roll out and you phase the bump in technical support for instance.

Yes, when you connect the OPN to Genie 2, it asks you if you want to download the settings from the HAs or not. If you say no, then it should load the settings stored from the database. So maybe this should work.

I didn’t think about this so I just loaded the settings from the HAs after the firmware had been applied because I’m curious what had been reset since. It didn’t reset everything because I still had the 4 programs I had like before. But the Fine Tuning settings might have been changed, as well as Speech Rescue and OSN settings were changed, as well as settings in the Accessories section.

@Volusiano did you install 2017.2 by reinstalling the original 2017 .1 download?

Has anybody in the US gotten it to an update without having to install from a separate source?

Yep, and 20 characters.

No, I had to uninstall the original 2017.1 software first (or else 2017.2 would fail to install). Then I install the 2017.2 download separately, not touching anything 2017.1 again.

I used Genie Updater and it worked fine. I manually Instructed Genie Updater to Check-for-Updates and it found 2017.2.

Are you sure you guys didn’t have your Genie Updater set to Automatically-Check-for-updates in which case it might have checked, and then waited one day before checking again?

in situ will only be used to prescribe gain no other use? anybody know? is done conduction necessary to enter. my audi only entered my audiogram from paper i have given and first fitted and only one frequency band readjusted.