DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

If the hearing aids are currently programmed (for example programmed to your hearing loss by your Audi) then you will surely want to save those settings first!!

Otherwise you create a client, enter the audiogram for that client, select the proper acoustics (dome, vent size, etc) and do a first fit.

Maybe you can get the gist of that by watching the following video.

I am not familiar with he Oticon programming. I have read you need fresh batteries. Not sure if this is like pairing. I do Phonak wired. Once you are ready to detect, try opening and closing the aid battery doors.
Hopefully one of the Oticon members will jump in.

I’ve heard report from @Um_bongo in another thread that the OPN firmware version 7 is now available in a new Genie 2 update that was pushed out to audiologists yesterday.

I went online to check but still only saw the 2019.1 version on the Oticon sites that I normally download softwares from. An update check on my Genie 2 software installation also said that there’s no new update yet.

@pvc who was able to find the 2019.1 Genie 2 update last time pretty early on before they were made available in the more public places, I wonder if you may know where to find the new Genie 2 software update this time as well? Thanks.

Checked three sources; all have 2019.1.1 (2019.1 SP1) as latest. WIll be watching.

Today I updated the program “Oticon Genie updater” to version 2019.2 and firmware opn 1 to version 6.1 :slight_smile:

Best regards

Can you share where you downloaded the new software from? I live in the US and just tried to do an update check and it could not find 2019.2 yet. I’m still on 2019.1.

I looked under the Canada Oticon download support website and it hasn’t posted the 2019.2 version there yet. Usually this is where I find the most updated download version before:

https://orders.oticon.ca/en/software-support

You can download Genie 2019.2 from UK:
http://www.oticonsupport.co.uk/Downloads.htm

Do you know any new features of firmware 6.1? After I updated 6.1, but I could not find any difference with 6.0.

Here are notes from the 2019.2 download folder.
204171US_BOOKLET_Genie_2_2019.2.pdf (1.9 MB)
Download is faster using the flexible downloader and selecting items you want.

I cannot find any information about OPN firmware 6.1 in this file.

I downloaded through the genie program.

@menglxs Unfortunately, I do not know.

Updated to firmware 6.1 in Opns. I did have to re-pair the ConnectClip to the aids. First had to delete the existing pairing for the CC in Genie, then re-pair the CC. It took a good 30 seconds to pair. There is a new bluetooth device supported (EduMic) so the firmware may have changes that require re-pairing.

I also updated to 2019.2 and firmware 6.1 for my OPN 1. I don’t notice anything different except having to repair with my ConnectClip and TV Adapter, which is understandable.

I assume that the new update is primarily for the more newly devices introduced like the EduMic and maybe the newer models. The other minor change is that the selection of enabling the Feedback Shield for each of the programs had now been moved to the Automatics portion of that program, instead of being bunched altogether in the Feedback Analyzer section. That particular move doesn’t do much good except introduces confusion to people who are used to seeing it in one place and now have it disappear on them.

1 Like

Although I updated my OPN 1 to firmware 6.1 because Genie 2019.2 requires it, I never tried to see if there’s a new firmware update for the ConnectClip and TV Adapter in this new release. Does anyone know if there are newer firmwares for these devices in the 2019.2 release?

No firmware update for the ConnectClip. It’s still at version 1.13.0.

I don’t have a TV Adapter so I don’t know if there is a new update available or not.

Thanks for the info, MikeJ! I just also confirmed that the TV Adapter remains at 2.1.1, no change either.

2 Likes

Excellent answer! I am doing an endzone dance for my first successful self-programming using my new Hi-Pro USB from Amazon. Seems like the best answer, even for OPN users is to set up for cabled connection via Hi-Pro USB, CS44 and ribbon cables due to that firmware update thing.

WRT firmware updates for Alta2 Pro Ti, I have my connection working fine for Genie 1 to the aids. But when I run the Oticon Firmware Updater, it tells me it can’t detect any aids. I have tried running the updater solo and also at the same time as Genie. Genie is connected, Updater is not. There are a couple of strange files in the package with Genie 1 and 2 (Otiset5). They seem like DOS install files and I didn’t need them to re-program the aids. Might the answer lie there? Do you have to run the firmware updater in conjunction with the fitting program or is it stand-alone?

Thanks!

Looks like you are having some fun. Congratulations.

Volusiano is one of the members you need to pay attention to. He knows his stuff with Oticon aids.

3 Likes

Any information about edumic? What’s new

In Genie 1 for Alta2 Pro Ti, what does the “Locked” checkbox make happen in the Acoustics sub-menu?

Thanks.