DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

Does anyone have any information about Genie 2018?
Today a China audiologist asked me for help.When he was programming a new pair of OPN, Genie warned that hearing aids had been programmed by the Genie 2018 beta versions and could not continue programming.
Oticon hearing aids are can not programming by older versions software after programmed by a new versions software.
Now Oticon branch cannot provide to him the beta versions software, He can only return the OPNs to Oticon branch.

Where, exactly, do I find the “Power Bass” setting? Are you talking about an iPhone?

Likely these settings at Genie 2 / END FITTING / Tab = TV ADAPTER.

It’s not just in the TV Adapter page but it’s also in the Phone page and the Connect Clip page as well.

The original post in this thread claims to be step-by-step instructions, but there are no instructions other than links to the cables and programmer needed. Where are the instructions?

(Oh, I get it - I have to go find the Oticon Alta instructions at Programming the Oticon Alta Pro miniRITE - the link for Alta in the original post is broken.)

Yikes! You are right @jonat. The original link to Programming the Oticon Alta Pro miniRITE 1 is broken. I don’t know why? Thanks for pointing to an equivalent new link.

Thanks, though there are still no instructions other than how to connect the programmer. I expected a simple walkthrough of using the Genie software to, save the current programming, make some small change, and write the new programming. I can probably figure that out (I installed Genie a while ago and walked through it as best I could without the hardware). I should go revisit the Genie instructions to see if it’s there somewhere.

Use Genie 2, not Genie (both included in same download). Saving your settings is discussed further up this thread in post #26.

Yes, Genie 2 is what I am using.

did you manage to connect?

Unfortunately I could not contact and had to send back
your noahlink

On my General Program, [s] sound like [sh]. I think this is a result of Speech Rescue in particular, as it’s barely noticeable on my programs without Speech Rescue. Any advice on how to fine-tune my OPN1 to avoid this [sh] sound would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think “s” now sounds like “sh” with Speech Rescue simply because now the sound is moved to a lower frequency, causing that perception. The whole point of frequency lowering like Speech Rescue is to make the higher frequency sounds become more audible to you in the more audible range. But the trade-off is that while you can hear it better now, it’s not going to sound EXACTLY like before. It’s going to sound a little different because it’s not at the original frequency anymore.

If you want to fine tune it, leave the High Frequency Bands to ON so that you can still hear the original sounds (albeit not as well due to assumably bad hearing loss there), and turn down the Strength slider scale more to the left to reduce the volume of the lowered sound more. One other thing you can do is to try out the 10 different configurations available for Speech Rescue to see which configuration sounds the most natural to you.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to make my OPNs eliminate background noise in noisy environment as well as my Siemens Pure 7BXs do.
Voices are louder and clear but the background noise is louder also, sort of eliminating any advantage.
The OPNs should be better, but not for me, so far at least.

Any tips on eliminating background noise??

Thanks in advance.
Mike

You just have the wrong expectation of the OPN, that’s all. Like I did when I first got my OPN and nobody explained to me properly what to expect, including my own provider and the Oticon sales rep who attended one of my fittings. Probably because they didn’t even understand it themselves, believe it or not.

The OPN is designed to include all sounds you hear, including what you deem to be background noise. That’s on purpose. It’s not because it doesn’t know how to do it or doesn’t do it well. But on top of that, it also helps make you understand speech better in noisy environments. But you will need to learn to tune out what you don’t want to hear and focus on what you want to hear.

The best tip I can give is to make sure both your noise reduction settings for simple and complex listening environments are both set to max values. Then have a positive attitude about trying to tune out the noise and focus on the desired sounds.

In other words, Opn’s are designed to not suppress background noise unless someone is speaking to you. Here’s a visual aid from the fitting software with the reddish color representing speech;

Thanks,
Wasn’t explained well to me either.
Even after I told Audi they didn’t lower background noise.
Guess it is what it is.

Mike

Enjoy the loud world, I do.

I hate the sensation when hearing aids go hunting for the right amount of noise reduction. For example, when you are driving a car (alone) and the hearing aids start hunting for just the right amount of road noise reduction for you. I prefer the steady cacophony of road noise (which my brain will tune out) over the artifical volume-down/volume-up from trying-to-be-helpful hearing aids.

Thanks,
I like them a lot, much better overall than the Pure 7bxs.

Question:
I am not seeing a way to set the start up volume in Genie, I see it in Connexx for the Pure bx’s but not in Genie.
I would like them to start up a step or 2 lower.
Am I missing something??

Thanks again
Mike

But don’t lose track of your bread crumb trail of what you have changed.