DIY Self Programming Costco Brio 2 ITC hearing aids

Yes, quite silly. I blame it on being hurried by my wife hollering at me to get up there for dinner. I was not careful enough about putting the battery doors back on the correct hearing aid. I really did not think the right door would fit on the left HA. Back to the problem (random detection results and no communication with the hearing aids.). After trying multiple retries with random results - R not detected, L not detected, L detected but communication failure, Hi Pro not connected and on and on. I finally put the USB plug into the USB3 slot on mu PC and viola,

it detects and communicates with both the right and left hearing aids. The supplied USB cable is USB2 so I am not sure what is going on.

In my main thread Find your way to Step 4, Click the Link and then find mini Pro/HI PRO FOOTNOTEā€¦ That should explain it.

While we are at it, let me say that the mini Pro is one of our best DIY tools. It seems unfair to malign the mini Pro with the title of DIY Disaster with mini Pro.

Might be nice to edit the OP/Original Post to change the title to something more favorable. How about Apocalyptic DIY Disaster because I switched the battery doors and it was my wifeā€™s fault too!

Hahahaha, Iā€™m just kidding :rofl:, how about DIY Self Programming Costco Brio 2 ITC hearing aids?

Actually in my case the appointment wait time is three months for my local Costco (3 miles) because one HIS quit and another is on sick leave. Therefore I made an appointment with the Costco in the next city which requires a longer drive but the wait times are two weeks or less.

Sorry about the kidding. You did good!

Sounds good. I will try to figure out how to edit the title.

Just click the pencil at the bottom of a post.

That is great news. Got me a little worried about possible problems with the minipro. Now I need to find out what I have for USB ports.
Good thinking on the USB port Hazeltoe. Thanks for being so helpful pvc. Good idea to change the thread title.

Sorry to bump this up again.
I checked my computer and I appear to only have USB2 ports. According to pvcā€™s information, the com port might conflict somewhere in the machine.

Would it be possible for Hazeltoe to try yet another different USB2 port that might pick yet a different com port. Either that or find which com port the USB3 port picked and then change the com port on one of the USB2 ports to match and see if it works. Or of course set it to yet another com port that hasnā€™t been used yet or that doesnā€™t have anything set to it.

Because indeed it doesnā€™t make sense that the device and cable would be USB2 but it only works in a USB3 port. Of course the USB3 port would be downward compatible too.

It would be good to know for peace of mind.

Thanks in advance Hazeltoe.

It has nothing to do with USB port speed. Itā€™s a common Windows Port mix-up.

Yes I understand. I was wondering if Hazeltoe would be willing to try another port to verify that itā€™s not a port speed thing.

Itā€™s nothing to do with speed. Itā€™s a com port allocation issue. Hi-pro has never liked com port designation above #4 - itā€™s a Windows issue.

Oh my. Clearly Iā€™m not saying what I want to say the way I need to say it.
I understand. I would just like it if it were possible for the OP to try a different port and see if the system works. It wasnā€™t working for him when using one of his ports. He switched to another port and it worked. pvcā€™s other information post said something about the com port. Maybe the OP could try yet another port and see what happens. Or if he might be able to change to another com port and see if it works. Rather than being focused on the fact that it appeared to work on his USB3 port.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m after. But now for all I know this is being communicated poorly too so here we are.

We understand what you are trying to say. But you are trying to solve a problem that does not exist. This issue comes up over, and over, and over, and over again. It has been solved many times. USB1/USB2/USB3 different speed ports have nothing to do with it.

So this is the problem with search keywords. I type in mini pro com port and I scan through many threads and I donā€™t see anything about this other than well sometimes Windows gets confused about which com port to apply. Sure. I know.
Iā€™m not trying to solve a problem. Iā€™m trying to verify that the OP can in fact use other usb ports, regardless of their speed, so that we can be sure that whatever com port/usb port is valid.
As it is, the OP has gone away thinking that he has to use his USB3 port. Of course itā€™s downward compatible in that the speed capability of the port doesnā€™t really matter. I know that. I just want the OP to verify that his other ports will work for him and to report back the results. But Iā€™m not his boss :slight_smile:

Yep, thatā€™s it. Use the recommended tool.

I`m back. Sorry for the delay. I had choir practice before church service this morning. The problem may be unique to my PC (win 10, MSI 970A-G43 motherboard). It has two usb2 connectors and two usb3 connectors on the front panel and four usb2 and two usb3 connectors on the rear panel. Although I have not thoroughly investigated the issue here is what I have so far. Both front usb2 connectors donā€™t work with the mini Pro even though they were assigned to com2 or com3. Both usb3 front connectors work with the mini Pro. I plugged the mini Pro into one of the back panel usb2 connectors and it works fine. As shown in the device manager it takes the com port com2 which was assigned from the front panel usb2. Although I have never noticed a problem with the front panel usb2 connections there is obviously a difference which I will explore when I have more time. Anyway z10user2, I would guess that you will probably not have a problem.

That is a terrific very helpful replyā€¦and you seem rather technically inclined.
So definitely something to look for if there is any kind of connection problem. Try all ports and see if some technical difference comes up with them.
And it looks like itā€™s not just about com ports. Interesting.
A big thanks for reporting back on your testing.

That`s the surprising thing. As I said I will pursue this when I have a little more time. I imagine the computer experts will have some advice, some of which might be good.

Iā€™m not a computer expert. My thoughts are the Mini Pro / Hi Pro wants a direct usb connection rather than a hub type connection. Some USB items do not like being ā€œdaisy chainedā€. which might be happening on your MOBO. Iā€™ll let the computer pros explain that with the proper terminology.

Thanks for the tip. I`ll review the motherboard manual.