DIY School - (v2.0)

Hi tenkan!
The final decision isn’t made, but it seems that it would be a pair of Oticon’s More.
I have the problem that speech on frequencies above 1kHz - women’s voice - is shrill and distorted. Putting the amplification down a few levels speech becomes less understandable, of course. I liked the sound of the Ruby 2 I tested a few days ago, so I’m planning to fit a pair of More with the simple sound of the Ruby and good speech intelligibility. I think it will take a lot of time and frequent visits at my audiologist and it would be better and easier to do it myself.
If I can find hearing aids that suit me better it would be easier of course.

Sure I’d stick with the Oticon sound if that’s what your used to, if your clinic set up the Ruby and you liked it and had no problem with frequencies above 1Hz, it’s the soft sounds in the higher frequencies that can be adjusted,1 step at a time,but have you tried adjustments in VAC+ and Soft Speech Booster, check it out here, could be helpful.

Yes I agree that sometimes it’s just easier to do things yourself, it’s why a lot of us go DIY.

We have a couple of resident Oticonians guys that are very helpful with all things Oticon.
@Volusiano and of course the one and only @PVC

I tend to bow out of

• detailed fitting discussions
  • wireless accessory connectivity
  • and woe is me discussions

because they can get very detailed and time consuming. I have enough on my plate keeping track of this ever-changing environment of DIY Self-Fitting.

Also, from time-to-time I may even ignore this DIY Self-Fitting environment, if I become too busy with “normal life” or, (as recently happened) busy with a major DIY School update, namely listing each and every hearing aid model along with which programming devices can be used.

Could someone please send link to Phonak Target?

Hi @user278 Welcome to the DIY (semi-hidden) category of the forum.

Suggested DIY School reading;

• 02 How to Program Your Hearing Aids
  • Choose Hardware-Programming Device for Phonak
  • Fitting Instructions Phonak Target

Thanks for your advises. I’ll consider them.

1 Like

Hiya !
I`m looking for the Oticon Genie 2. Can someone give me a link?
Much appreciated.

Thanks a lot and

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, don’t forget you’ll need the correct programming device as well for DIY projects.

1 Like

initial question - to use the widex compass software, can I use my macbook pro? If not, what would be the minimum PC system requirements? I’d be buying a PC for this purpose only. widex Moment sheer 440. Looking to get connected and see what I can do with these using my own audio engineering/music producer skills.

Welcome to the forum, yeah always easier to use windows based PC, although there are min requirements even the lowest budget laptop would meet them, the thing that can be annoying is screen size, if you can 14" works well, Don’t get ARM based because it doesn’t like working with Noahlink wireless programming device

https://www.himsa.com/support/noahlink-wireless-knowledgebase/preparing-for-noahlink-wireless/arm-based-windows-not-supported-for-noahlink-wireless-or-noah/

1 Like

Fitting software runs on Windows PCs. Though you could use emulation. But you would also still need Windows. Though you cannot use the industry standard NoahLink Wireless for the PCs listed below.

Clip from DIY School (Noahlink Wireless - Instructions For Use)

1 Like

thank you so much. So a 14" laptop that’s not arm based? is that searchable (I’m wondering)? I’m comfortable taking a computer suggestion/recommendation and just buying it, if you’re comfortable making one. I know so little about PCs I wouldn’t even know where to start. thanks again

Thanks for this list! I have the M1, AND an old 2012 (which is NOT on your list) - however i think given that compass software is PC based, my macbook pro wouldn’t be in the equation anyway? unless I’m missing something

If your Mac has an Intel processor you could install Apple’s Boot Camp and try it.

i do have an older 2012 macbook pro that’s an intel. Hmmm…worth a try! Thanks for that!

Yes please!! The software and location, hardware and where to buy, and the PC requirements (I’m a mac guy, so go easy on me!!). Following your journey - thank you

Doesn’t have to be 14" I only mentioned it because that size is still portable and easy to read, I’ve used 12" and didn’t like how everything is “forced” to fit screen.
I’d stick to what’s easiest to set up which is a windows PC.

not sure if links are allowed - but something like this? cheap, good sized screen. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Celeron-Processor-Graphics-SnowBell/dp/B0B3HV4KNL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3JO25TZSGTOV7&keywords=windows+laptop+14"&qid=1676311755&sprefix=windows+laptop+14+%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

I think Intel Celeron Processors are not recomended

See
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS for Widex COMPASS (12/2021)

The link states: at least recommended
IBM-compatible PC with processor: Intel i3, AMD Phenom II X4 , Ryzen 5
Main memory (RAM): 2 GB

BTW: you could use your Apple 2012 intel notebook by installing Boot Camp and Windows Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

thank you!! I will try that