DIY Oticon Xceed 1 and CROS: How to Open Up the MPO?

Hi there, I was curious - how do I open up the MPO? I need to open up how much background noise comes through. Because I have had an incident where my mom is yelling for me basically around the corner from where I am sitting in my room, at the top of the stairs, and I didn’t hear her.

This is unacceptable. I need to be able to hear whether or not my aging mother is calling for me in case something happens and she needs my help. I already have the hearing aid set at the maximum setting of what background noise comes through in the overall general settings (the diagram of the head with the background noise surrounding it, and where it shows how much noise you’re getting - I already have that maximized). Now I need to get more specific and let more sound through.

How do I do this?

The MPO (maximum power output) is on the fine tuning screen, but I don’t think you should be adjusting this so you can hear in another room separated by stairs, it just sounds like the distance would be a problem for many, is it possible to have a remote type microphone instead, not sure what Oticon can offer in that respect, but possibly the connect clip?

I have a connect clip but my hearing is not so bad that it doesn’t function from a distance. I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to use my normal hearing aid to hear at a distance.

Another question: is it possible to adjust the linearity of the signal? (how linear it is)?

You can change the formula in genie2, you can also try making some additional adjustments in the fine tuning, have you got a screenshot of your current settings in genie as this would help everyone offer some advice.

Actually @Zebras could possibly help with this.

Yeah. Still poking around in Genie2 myself…so not 100% sure where to find it.

Thank you for your help, @tenkan!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

@tenkan - I finally found some tweaks that have alleviated the background noise issue almost 100%.

Is there a way to boost the Connect Clip beyond the settings in the program so that it sounds louder and clearer? As of now, it is still a little too soft and muffled-sounding. I mean beyond the settings on the fitting screen where it shows (softer/fuller/etc.). I already have it on max where I need it and it’s still too soft and muffled sounding.

Only those in the fitting screen as far as I know, I mean you can use the phones volume when connected right, but I guess that’s not want your asking, I have to say that I no longer use Oticon products ( my last was OPN S ) I’m sure others can offer the some more details on this.

Glad you’ve managed to make your HA sound much better.

Any questions, do ask and I’ll try and help.

@Zebras - Is there a way to get the ConnectClip to sound similar? Currently, it still sounds quite muffled and a little too quiet, and I’m on max settings in the fitting screen. So, I need to push the settings beyond that.

Only by adjusting P1 as that what it goes by plus what the Fitting Screen gives you.

This is where you adjust thesettings for the CClip:

2 Likes

Hi flashb,

That’s what I mean. I am at maximum. How can I adjust volume/loudness/muffleness/clarity beyond these? I also have power bass on high.

Are you aware that you’ve got your microphone of your hearing aids when using connect clip, set to really loud.

Do you find background noise through your hearing aids over powers the sound coming from the connect clip?

Most people have it here :arrow_down:

IMG_0789

2 Likes

This isn’t an MPO function. The preposition of the question is wrong.

MPO - Maximum Power Output, doesn’t govern the basic amount of gain coming through.

If your mother’s voice is quieter than your soundings (a negative SNR), you aren’t going to pick it up whatever you’ve got the aid set to. Just like if I’m listening to music (at 80dB) in one room and someone shouts from another room (at 75dB), I’m not hearing them unless they happen to hit gaps in the music.

In the additional question: making the aid more linear - the result is going to have the opposite effect to the question above. Linearity applies proportionately more gain to louder signals than quieter ones, so in effect, for an equivalent average loudness/comfort level, quieter sounds (like your mother’s voice at distance) will receive LESS gain and be less audible.

1 Like

If I’m understanding the situation correctly, something like a baby monitor might work well.

That’s what I do.

I don’t use a baby monitor as such but I’ve changed the signal so it sets off the dummy sign so I know who it is.

When I’m staying at my Mums house, she can press the door bell that isn’t on the front door but in her room and it sets off the dummy sign on my pager.

1 Like

@Zebras - Thank you! I thought that might have been it but wasn’t entirely sure. Thanks again for the second set of eyes on this one. It’s working quite well now.

1 Like

I shouldn’t have to be reduced to using a baby monitor just to hear somebody in another room. My analogues never had this issue 20 years ago. Even my digital linear Phonaks didn’t have this issue when I had my Q50 NAIDA + CROS set to linear.

@codergeek2015

If it’s like the phone set up that I have as I don’t have a Connect Clip, the top line gives an extra +9dB and the middle line that you’ve just changed, is -12dB on the part that I marked.

1 Like

Interesting information. Thank you for your help on this, @Zebras!! Much appreciated.