Difference programming cable cs44 and cs44 phonak type

hello it seems that there is a difference between a standard cs44 cable and a cs44 phonak type.
Does any one knows what the difference is?
Is there only a different connection between the pins ?
Is it possible to get a drawing of thees 4 wires ?

thanks a lot
from Germany
Jürgen

Today I got a phonak type.
The difference is that two pins are interchanged
HiPro´s Pin no 4 is interchanged with pin no 3

So if you want to use the standard cs44 for example oticon
together with a phonak then these pins have to be changed.

Pin numbering of HiPro connector facing to the box

…6…II…5
…4…3
…2…1

Juergen I am trying to get this straight myself. From your pin convention this is what I am guessing:

HIPRO
Pin 1 +BAT (battery to power HA while programming…battery doors are open)
Pin 2 GROUND
Pin 3 NOT USED
Pin 4 SDA (for CS44)
Pin 5 SDA (for CS44A)
Pin 6 NOT USED

CS44 / CS44A PLUG
PIN 1 GROUND
PIN 2 +BAT
PIN 3 NOT USED (?)
PIN 4 SDA

Can you tell me if this is correct?

From what I am reading I am not positive how to rewire my Oticon cables to program my new Phonak Naida V hearing aids, but I am not sure how they need to be wired, I have seen somewhere the pins are switched but the instruction were not clear, can some of you confirm which pin from mini DIN connector going to which pin at hearing aid connector ? thank you
Numbering is to point which pin and letters are to track the wire from pins, shield was not tracked. the pinout is described as when you looking at connector facing you.

The Oticon CS44 are as follows :
1A " 2B
4D 3C
to mini DIN :

6 " 1
5D 2A
4C 3B

From what I understand from above informations the DIN at CS44A has to have then this wiring ?:

6 " 1
5A 2D
4C 3B

I’m not sure if this will help. It’s a diagram from Sonion connector systems.

For the PDF document Click -> HERE.
For all related documents Click -> HERE.

Sorry, the picture was lost.

the wiring on provided diagram basically refers to standard CS44 (which is same as Oticon), I am looking for confirmation the Phonak has just the two pins switched as Juergen mentions before I damage my hearing aids…

I have no information on the Phonak version. I was just providing a diagram.

See:

http://sites.google.com/site/solvingitwo750b/cs-44a/StandardCS-44wPhonakInfo.doc?

1 Like

So here’s the two documents side by side (the one I provided and the one Ed Every provided). Both show a standard CS44 pin diagram connection.

So it seems to be what Juergen said. As indicated by the blue lines in the picture below, Reverse standard CS-44 connections between Mini-Din 3, 4 and Plug 3, 4 for use with Phonak Products.

So who will be the brave soul to try it first?? :slight_smile:

I will try it tomorrow and I report back, thank you for the info .

As an alternative to modifying your standard CS-44 cable, you could make an adapter by buying a short Mini-DIN 6-pin extension cable*, open the cable (i.e. at mid-point) and reverse the wires connected to pins 3 and 4.

1. Users who have a standard CS-44 cable and want to use it with Phonak instruments would just install this adapter in series with their CS-44 cable.

2. Users who have a Phonak CS-44 cable (some call it CS-44A) and want to use it with non-Phonak instruments requiring the standard CS-44 cable, would use the same adapter the same way.

One of many sources: stockcable.com pin M/F Mini Din Cables

Great idea Ed Every!
You can get them on EBay for $4.50. For a link Click -> HERE.
Here’s a picture of a Mini-DIN 6-pin extension cable:

You could also cobble one from something like this:

thanks for help, it turns out the cable I made initially was wrong (the aid survived multiple connections with wrong wiring), after I made the correct wiring the aid was recognized and I was programming it in no time after that. My first programming went well, now I will tune the hell out of my new Phonaks.
The keyboard cable I purchased off ebay for this purpose for like $3.xx with free shipping works well, I will post picture later.

I din’t think to search EBay for (keyboard cable extension).
Here’s one for $1.59, Click -> HERE.
The above link will expire over time.

yeah, I know it can be had cheap but I wanted something what did not take weeks to receive, thus I brought cheapest but closes to me (CA) so finally users like me can program Phonaks with standard CS44 cable which is usually available on ebay for as low as $50… I will later today make a walkthrough (if time permits) and post it…

I got my keyboard cable extension, peeled back the plastic cable cover to reveal 4 wires (Red, Black, White, and Green). Then I used a multiMeter to test continuity/Ohms for each pin/wire.

The pin connections matched the Standard CS-44 Cable Connections chart except for the Black wire (see picture below). I can reverse green/white wires, but that will leave me without a pin#2 connection???

it seems you got some “minimalist” cable, mine had all 6 pins connected on booth sides (using 6 wires + shield), try to measure again if there is continuity between pin #2 on booth sides of your extension cable, if not then you are stuck with unusable cable because I can’t think of any simple way to connect wire to pin #2 if there is no lead to it in the plastic covering mini Din conector. I am not sure what is purpose of the pin #2 anyway, might even not be necessary but I would have to find out what signal it carry…