Didn't like the Lumity. What else to trial?

@tenkan - thanks for your response. Why do you prefer the ReSound Ones over the AX? Is the One just the generation before the Omnia? My comment about my audi’s patience was just because I’m not sure how many different hearing aids she’ll allow me to trial and still work at so diligently to tweak.

I’m fairly good with gadgets, but I’m not sure I want to add to my already busy days by learning how to DIY fitting, especially during trial periods.

Yeah good question, well to be honest it’s not really how good I find them to work for me as such, they both are very similar in this regard, however I think I’m just a bit biased towards ReSound because I’ve used all of the models since the Verso, but the points I really like is i find that the Smart App is better than Signia App plus I’ve managed to get the one’s (as I do DIY) set up just how I like things to sound in most noisy environments, but as @jeffrey has noted the AX just pips the Ones in the music department, streaming is the same to me, of course the odd dropouts which is common in both, and yes the One’s are one generation back from Omnia, I’m not going to get into what I think of this new model but I won’t be bothering to update, I’ll wait until they release a “real” platform with LE Audio on board!

Jody, if you are going to trial Resound get the Omnia’s thats their latest HA

1 Like

That’s the WhistleBlock feature / Feedback causing that issue.

It’s been said many times to turn WhistleBlock off on the program you’re listening to music / playing an instrument with.

1 Like

Yes this is the thing I find annoying, as in the Audiology clinics can’t/don’t know how to fix this at the time of trials, if they don’t know they’re supposed to call Phonak rep’s for advice.

1 Like

@Jody Please be careful before you give up on the Lumitys. For me, music is also of paramount importance and the fluttering used to drive me crazy - until I found my current audiologist who knows how to get rid of it. I think most hearing aids users sooner or later find out that hearing speech better is the most important reason they need HAs. There is no question, that the Lumitys are currently the state of the art in this respect when set up properly by the audi. I know mine was able to get rid of the flutter as soon as I pointed it out to him. I don’t know what he did, but it was probably something like @Zebras has pointed out.

I can’t count how many times we have seen people complain about how their hearing aid model/brand needs to be changed, but that same aid is considered great by most people. When they make a switch they are disappointed that the problem is not alleviated no matter how many different models they try. Many years and much money later what they find out is they needed to switch audis (or at least insist that the one they have do more work to tune the aid).

2 Likes

Your opinion, but for some not so much, everyone’s hearing is different,so it’s great that you find your Lumitys “state of the art” but for others no matter what adjustments are made they just can’t find that “sweet spot” so for some people,other brands work best for them.

Hi @tenkan I agree with your statement and I probably worded mine poorly. I am not trying to imply that others are not state of the art. I do believe that different aids work better for different people.

Sorry for any confusion.

All I know is that I have tried several different state of the art hearing aids and what I found was that they all did a reasonable job when a skilled audi knows how to match that aid’s characteristics to my hearing loss. What I am trying to say is that I know several people who have given up on a particular aid, tried several others, and then returned to the original one after they found a different audi (and even, in one case, at the insistence of the same audi).

In the particular case of @Jody they complained that they were unhappy with Lumitys for fluttering in music and, from my direct experience, I know that is solvable.

2 Likes

It is depends on what your definition is state of the art, I’m going to start putting CI companies in here because @Jody is going through CI evaluation

if you want the state of the art in today connectivity, you should get the Phonak/Advanced Bionics.

Futuristic connectivity and low power consumption is going to be Cochlear / Resound.

Durability/ omnidirectional algorithm is Oticon

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t let your audis patience be a deciding factor.

4 Likes

Hi @idontwantha, hey all good, your right about getting an audiologist that “knows” their stuff, it’s definitely the key for some people, and yes @Jody issues are indeed easily enough to fix in most cases.

@ssa

Does Med El CI use any type of Bluetooth yet?

I can’t figure it out.

Yes, and I thought she had turned it off

No, they use Bluetooth LE adapter on the battery cover to connect to MFI / ASHA device, which is way behind Cochlear/AB. which is integrated…

Cochlear Ltd was able to do this alone by funding GN LEWIS development team at GN group and they had the cash to spend on R&D in integration and support GN LEWIS platform team for many years.

AB was brought by Sonova and gave the AB the SWORD chip

GN LEWIS is the codename for LE radio used in both Resound HA and Cochlear sound processor

1 Like

@Zebras @idontwantha @tenkan Thanks for your comments. I did a fair amount of homework myself on the music issue, and I did bring my audi the " Dr. Chasin’s Checklist for Optimizing Your Hearing Aids for Music," as well as the HearingAidsandMusic.org Quickstart guide for clinicians about how to program for music. I believe she followed all the steps in those, including turning off whistle-block, but I will double check that when I see her next.

1 Like

For the umpteenth time, I’ll request the moderators here pin a link to the pdf files I and others have posted concerning how to fit HAs for musicians. This topic comes up repeatedly and is an issue of real distress for musicians who are HA wearers. A simple way to point to the link has the potential to help the many musicians who come here for advice.

1 Like

@jeffrey, are you saying that I didn’t bring my audi the right information? I thought Chasin’s checklist, in particular, was highly recommended, and the documents at https://musicandhearingaids.org/ (sorry I got the link address backwards in my last post) are the result of a multi-disciplinary project involving music psychologists, clinical scientists, audiologists, deaf musicians, etc. based in Sheffield, England. I thought both these documents were credible and well researched and written.

oh no, sorry, that’s a very good pdf that you brought in! Don’t worry about that. I was just prodding the mods here to make it easy for folks to find that and other links with info for audis on how to set up a musician program.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Jeffrey.

Without an occluding mold on the right ear, it’s more than “just” turning off whistle block. I have found that if (big if) you can get a double dome to seal completely, you can prevent feedback without bad occlusion. Occlusion can be bad for wind instrument players and singers–you can’t hear anything but yourself, such as the other performers.
While many here like the More 1 sound, not all do. I find the surround sound noise to be tiring, particularly in a car. That may be my hyperacusis.