Didn't like the Lumity. What else to trial?

After trying lots of adjustments to make the Lumity work for me (because I loved the hands-free streaming capability), I’ve given up on it. I have a very patient audi, and we’ve ordered the Widex Moment Sheer for my next trial based on its music reputation, since I’m an amateur musician. But I’m afraid my audi’s patience won’t last much longer; I think I may be able to do only one more trial after that. I thought maybe the Signia Charge & Go AX for its great battery life, since I stream a fair amount, or the Oticon More or the Resound Omnia, which are also reputed to be really good for music.

Music is important in my life, but of course, the ability to hear/discriminate speech is paramount. Streaming’s also pretty important because it improves intelligibility. Which one do you think I should trial?

What didn’t you like about the Lumity? What are your word recognition scores?I’m not convinced that any hearing aid is going to give you great speech understanding.

1 Like

Great your doing the right thing here, you must trial each to know which one works best for you, as only you can know this, I like both your next options, I use AX and ReSound Ones, and have Widex Evoke(they sit in the top drawer now)using the One mostly over the AX, if you do end up having problems with your audiologist complaining about you wanting the best fit possible, you could look into DIY, easy to do and software/hardware is easily available, of course it’s not for everyone but if your into gadgets and stuff you won’t find it difficult.

3 Likes

Whatever you get, get custom tips.

3 Likes

@MDB - I didn’t find the Lumity helpful with speech, especially when there were simultaneous conversations going on, but even in non-conflicting situations… I didn’t like listening to music, either on automatic or on the music program (which my audi had tweaked as much as she could). I didn’t like the flutter when I played my clarinet. And I didn’t like the battery running out on days when I streamed for as little as 4 1/2 hours.

My word recognition scores are R- 28 and L-72. My audi has sent a referral for a CI evaluation and we’re waiting to hear whether they’ll do it. Meanwhile, I’m waiting for the trial Widex’s with a custom earmold for the right ear.

Thanks for your response.

1 Like

I have a cochlear implant myself

I highly recommend Resound, those are going to work with Cochlear Nucleus sound processor.

I have the Nucleus 8 and Resound Omnia HA. (both are Q4 2022 released devices)

I wear Signia AX7 aids. I’m an amateur musician too (classical guitar). They work very well for that, after tweaking the pre installed musician program. Does your audi know how to program aids for playing music? This is essential for getting a real sense of what the aids are capable of.
I can’t really speak about the AX performance in non music scenarios. I mostly use a BAHA for that. And also, I haven’t trialed many aids, so it’s ahrd for me to compare brands. sTill, the AX have a good reputation on the Adult Musicians with HEaring Loss forum.

@tenkan - thanks for your response. Why do you prefer the ReSound Ones over the AX? Is the One just the generation before the Omnia? My comment about my audi’s patience was just because I’m not sure how many different hearing aids she’ll allow me to trial and still work at so diligently to tweak.

I’m fairly good with gadgets, but I’m not sure I want to add to my already busy days by learning how to DIY fitting, especially during trial periods.

Yeah good question, well to be honest it’s not really how good I find them to work for me as such, they both are very similar in this regard, however I think I’m just a bit biased towards ReSound because I’ve used all of the models since the Verso, but the points I really like is i find that the Smart App is better than Signia App plus I’ve managed to get the one’s (as I do DIY) set up just how I like things to sound in most noisy environments, but as @jeffrey has noted the AX just pips the Ones in the music department, streaming is the same to me, of course the odd dropouts which is common in both, and yes the One’s are one generation back from Omnia, I’m not going to get into what I think of this new model but I won’t be bothering to update, I’ll wait until they release a “real” platform with LE Audio on board!

Jody, if you are going to trial Resound get the Omnia’s thats their latest HA

1 Like

That’s the WhistleBlock feature / Feedback causing that issue.

It’s been said many times to turn WhistleBlock off on the program you’re listening to music / playing an instrument with.

1 Like

Yes this is the thing I find annoying, as in the Audiology clinics can’t/don’t know how to fix this at the time of trials, if they don’t know they’re supposed to call Phonak rep’s for advice.

1 Like

@Jody Please be careful before you give up on the Lumitys. For me, music is also of paramount importance and the fluttering used to drive me crazy - until I found my current audiologist who knows how to get rid of it. I think most hearing aids users sooner or later find out that hearing speech better is the most important reason they need HAs. There is no question, that the Lumitys are currently the state of the art in this respect when set up properly by the audi. I know mine was able to get rid of the flutter as soon as I pointed it out to him. I don’t know what he did, but it was probably something like @Zebras has pointed out.

I can’t count how many times we have seen people complain about how their hearing aid model/brand needs to be changed, but that same aid is considered great by most people. When they make a switch they are disappointed that the problem is not alleviated no matter how many different models they try. Many years and much money later what they find out is they needed to switch audis (or at least insist that the one they have do more work to tune the aid).

2 Likes

Your opinion, but for some not so much, everyone’s hearing is different,so it’s great that you find your Lumitys “state of the art” but for others no matter what adjustments are made they just can’t find that “sweet spot” so for some people,other brands work best for them.

Hi @tenkan I agree with your statement and I probably worded mine poorly. I am not trying to imply that others are not state of the art. I do believe that different aids work better for different people.

Sorry for any confusion.

All I know is that I have tried several different state of the art hearing aids and what I found was that they all did a reasonable job when a skilled audi knows how to match that aid’s characteristics to my hearing loss. What I am trying to say is that I know several people who have given up on a particular aid, tried several others, and then returned to the original one after they found a different audi (and even, in one case, at the insistence of the same audi).

In the particular case of @Jody they complained that they were unhappy with Lumitys for fluttering in music and, from my direct experience, I know that is solvable.

2 Likes

It is depends on what your definition is state of the art, I’m going to start putting CI companies in here because @Jody is going through CI evaluation

if you want the state of the art in today connectivity, you should get the Phonak/Advanced Bionics.

Futuristic connectivity and low power consumption is going to be Cochlear / Resound.

Durability/ omnidirectional algorithm is Oticon

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t let your audis patience be a deciding factor.

4 Likes

Hi @idontwantha, hey all good, your right about getting an audiologist that “knows” their stuff, it’s definitely the key for some people, and yes @Jody issues are indeed easily enough to fix in most cases.

@ssa

Does Med El CI use any type of Bluetooth yet?

I can’t figure it out.

Yes, and I thought she had turned it off