Did I break my hearing aid?

While at work the other day, I took out my right hearing aid to use the radio since it makes bad feedback. I ended up dropping it by accident and at first I thought I may have broken my acrylic Earmold (it did not break), when i turned it back on it was a distorted buzzing noise, this happens when streaming and with just environmental noise. I tried to put a new receiver in and it still makes the noise. What should I do?

Try putting a new battery in. If it still happens then definitely need to get it looked at by your audiologist.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, dropping it can cause damage to the hearing aids. Microphone can be dislodged or tube can be break and leak if you use BTE HA.

Especially, those use custom in canal (CIC style). This type of hearing aid are extremely prone to break if you drop it accidentally because its not build with the frame holding up circuits rigidly inside. Its simple hollow earmold with circuits stuffed inside very small space. Anything impact to it, will cause some damage. Unlike RITE miniRite and BTE. These made with strong frame and hold circuits rigid inside so it a bit more survivability.

Another reason I love my BTE’s. Even better, they’re rechargeable, so completely sealed. I worry about dropping an aid into my coffee in the morning. And occasionally I do drop an aid onto the floor. So far, so good.

I normally use my btes but these were my phonak marvel rics

I tried with a new battery at that actually made the sound worse.

@jeffrey @mami2529 @craftycrocheter I ended up switching the receiver out to a older one I had laying around and it seemed to help. I’ll take the receiver into my audiologist and see if they can replace it.

1 Like

The disposable battery version may be just as sealed except for the battery compartment. If so then one would let it dry out and then pop in a fresh battery that costs maybe 30 cents.

Hey there, happen to me too.

Drop my precious miniRITE onto the floor from… friend swatting at my head but goes wrong hitting my hearing aids.

I freaking out and swearing like a child. Funny, I still call “friend”. But after thoroughly check with Vendor for any damage test. All good.

Hope it not happen again.

Geez. I’ve dropped my Marvels several times, but they were the BTE style connected by wire to the speaker/receiver. Typically that buzzing is the hum of DEATH for an aid. I get it when the speaker/receiver has been killed in water (as in the not-so-waterproof Phonak Lumity Life aid) or just old age, as in the case of my Marvels.

I hope you have a good pair of backups. It took me 3 solid weeks to send in my aids and get replacements. Luckily, both times they were under warranty.

My audi gives me a loaner to use if an aid is in for repair.

The Audeo range altho it sits behind your ear is actually called a RIC HA and not a BTE HA.

The Naida is classed as a BTE HA or in case of @DeafAntifa HAs, her Skys are also classed as a BTE HA.

Thank you for clarifying, cuz I thought I didn’t have the right name, but the Marvel “bean” does sit behind the ear (as do my Lumity Life “beans”), connected by thin wire to the speaker IN my ear canal. Hopefully I’ll remember it’s proper name now: RIC HA.

The BTE would not have a “receiver” in the canal, but rather part of the custom molded speaker, right?

BTE has the speaker in the part behind your ear, and a tube directs the sound into the molds in your ear.

WH

1 Like

AH! Okay! Thanks for that info. :slight_smile:

I wondered how that worked, cuz my mom has that style of BTE + tube + custom mold.
I have the RIC “bean” behind the ear + wire + speaker w/power dome on the tip.