Dehumidifiers — Which do you recommend?

My first humidifier stopped working and so I’ve just now purchased a new one which has a heating element and a UV light. It works simply and smoothly and has lots of room but I’m concerned about the heating being too much…?
Does anyone use a dehumidifier that primarily uses circulating air to remove the moisture?
Thank you for any recommendations!

I use what my Audi recommends and even provided with my aids, the PERFECT DRY LUX

I use a breeze which goes for 8 hours. It does get quiet warm but it only dries out any moisture in the devices.

I don’t think the actual dehumidifying is as important with newer hearing aids since they are rated to be fairly moisture resistant, so the actual electronics are pretty well sealed. I think mine are rated at IP66 which means they should be fine even wearing them in the shower, but they still cost enough that I don’t push it to that level. That being said, there are still benefits to drying out any wax for easier removal from the ear tips or cones.
The UV sterilization is a big deal, though, to kill any bacteria or fungus and break up any viruses that may be on them. Keeping them clean should help reduce irritation to the ear canal and possible infections.
So, whatever you get the best deal on that has a UV light is the best dryer to get, since whether it takes dessicants or just uses a fan isn’t as important as it used to be back when moisture actually could damage the electronics.

1 Like

I’ve used a Dry & Store Zephyr every night for over 10 years and never had a hearing aid failure.

I use a Dry and Store Breeze as well.

I do have a Phonak D Dry + to use when I’m away from home.

@mike_g That may be true of RICs, but for example a BTE by its very nature can’t be IP6x rated since it has to have a hole for the sound to come out to the earhook/tube/earmold. My Enzo Q is IP58, and my cochlear implant processor is IP54. They’re both good in rain, which is all I care about. I received a UV enclosure/dryer with my processors but I haven’t set it up yet. I don’t have room for it at the moment. Once we’re moved to the new house I will set it up though.

I use the CostCo unit, very happy with it. Available from a number of places online.

Perfect Dry Lux.
https://www.oaktreeproducts.com/perfectdry-lux-dehumidifier-000016

2 Likes

My Phonak B90 which is a BTE is rated IP68.

1 Like

Great points, and well taken. As I stated, though, dehumidifying is still good to have regardless to do everything to protect your investment.
My audiologist never told me the rating and just said to not let them get wet. The first time I forgot they were in and stepped into the shower, I freaked out, patted them dry, and put them in the dryer for a few hours. Then I looked up the rating for them and found out they were actually a lot more water resistant than she implied.

A lot of the IP ratings are based on electronics coatings.

These ratings are based on new aids from my understanding.

Repeatedly getting these coatings wet from salty sweat, rain, the shower or whatever wears on the coatings. When these coatings corrode away from lack of care the aids will fail.

And, we all know that not all aids are made to the same standards of materials.

1 Like

This is what I have used for about 20 years.

My last hearing aids were still working fine after 11 years, so I think it is a good product. The beads have to be refreshed in a microwave oven every few months, but they last for several years.

1 Like

Drystore TRG-AA is what I use

I use the Global Ii dry and store. It is good it offers uv sanitation while drying. If you have rechargeable hearing aids be careful and check with your hearing aid manufacturer to make sure it is safe to use dryers like this with the rechargeable hearing aids you have as the heat produced may be to high For the hearing aids. They are suppose to come out with one that allows you to charge and dry safely at the same time. Flow med makes one that operates without heat and allows you to charge and dry at the same time.

1 Like

If I had to use a dehydration system. It depends on if I have rechargeable or battery. Battery the Global Ii is great or something like it. For rechargeable That is a different story. I would use a Flow Med air dryer. It uses air and UV to dry the hearing aid. It also allows you to charge as you dry. It is a win win. :+1:

1 Like

This is what I have used for about 20 years.

My last hearing aids were still working fine after 11 years, so I think it is a good product. The beads have to be refreshed in a microwave oven every few months, but they last for several years.

I also have used this since they came on the market. Maybe 30 years or so?

Very similar to what I use. Inexpensive and effective I think.

One concern I have with some of these dryers is the level of heat generated. Next to moisture one of the big enemies of electronics is heat.

Jim

You probably won’t find any hearing aid driers/dehumidifiers (zero) that over heat nor do damage to aid electrical parts. Not sure where you getting your information from. In fact I think there are quite a few driers, dehumidifiers on the market that don’t dry or heat aids long enough. Now I’m not an electrical engineer and have no real idea how long it takes to dry out a hearing aid - but the standard 30 minute drying cycle on the Dry Lux offers seems too short of a drying period to me. Maybe I’m old school with thinking a hearing aid should sit in a dehumidifier several hours, over night, etc. versus 30 minutes and ready to go. Bottom line I don’t think it hurts a hearing aid to sit in a dehumidifier over night and they all do shut off automatically at some point. I’d rather cook an aid on the long side, being sure moisture is totally gone, versus some 30 minute quickie that leaves moisture behind.

There are posts that mention being told not to use certain dryers with rechargeable aids because of the li-ion batteries and the high heat. I would be concerned that that level of heat day after day may well shorten the lifespan of the electronics. I don’t know that for a fact, it is just something I am concerned/curious about.

Jim

1 Like

I don’t understand why Resound have such a low IP rating, in comparison to other brands of aids. My Enzo2 is IP 58 also, it’s not 14 months old and has been back for repairs.

The problem came back as moisture, even though it goes in my processor breeze dry box every night along with my processor. The breeze goes for 8 hours overnight. I personally don’t have a perspiration issue but all my aids have had moisture problems.