Default volume on the Oticon TV Adapter 3.0

I think it’s a problem for Oticon to fix… My audiologist has tied numerous times to lower it for me in Genie but it never “sticks” and always goes back to 16 …

This might help with volume control on the TV Adapter 3.0.

Sadly this doesn’t help for setting default volume and keeping it set… that can only be done in Genie software… My audiologist has tried numerous times; according to her, settings are from 1-5 - she has tried all of them - in the office ; and of course it works in the office, but as soon as I get home , the volume will revert back to default of 16 in the app… I asked her if bringing the TV box into the office would make a difference and she said no… I believe Oticon knows it’s an issue . question is whether they will do anything about it… I have not heard of anyone who has been successful in adjusting the default volume and having it stay that way… as I said , with the equalizer, I can get an interim fix, but I still have to adjust it every day after hearing aids have been charged…

I wonder if asking audiologist to adjust volume on TV program in hearing aids would help?

Below is the TV Adapter screen on the Genie 2 software page. As you mentioned, it has 5 settings that the audi can set for you.

It sounds like based on your description, the ON app has its own default of 16 that may override the default set in the Genie 2 software. So what if you don’t use the ON app at all (turn it off in your phone) to avoid it overriding the Genie 2 default value as a workaround? I personally just don’t use the ON app at all, so I never run into this issue with my TV Adapter volume. I just cycle through my programs and volume via the HA buttons. I find that to be much faster than through the ON app.

There is no TV Program per se. As you can see in the second screen shot, the 4 programs available on Genie 2 are for the other stuff. If you don’t pair your OPN to a TV Adapter, you’ll only cycle through up to these 4 programs only. If you pair your OPN to a TV Adapter, then you’ll notice (hear) the TV Adapter program automatically added to your OPN as you cycle through P1, P2, P3, P4, TV Adapter. It’ll also show up in the ON app accordingly But there’s no TV Adapter program in Genie 2 to set because as you can see in the second screen shot, there’s only P1 through P4, there’s no P(TV Adapter). There’s only the TV Adapter “menu” setting as seen in the first screen shot, but there’s no TV Adapter “Program” page per se. The TV Adapter “Program” is just a handle added to allow you to cycle to it to receive streaming content from it.

The same principle applies to the ConnectClip. If connected to a ConnectClip, you’ll hear a “Remote Mic” program added to the P1 -> P2 -> P3 -> P4 -> TV Adapter -> RemoteMic -> (back to P1) cycle. But there’s no P(Connect Clip) in the second screen shot. There’s only the ConnectClip page per se.

3 Likes

Thanks… I’m a bit confused by your comment … I just tried this: I closed the ON app ( I didn’t delete it - I just closed it ) … I then changed program using hearing aid button - went out of the “TV” program (#4 for me) - then went back into TV program using hearing aid button - volume was back to LOUD … what I don’t know is what the setting is for this program in Genie… I think mine is 2 (out of 5) according to my notes …

I never have the loud TV Adapter issue and my Genie 2 loudness setting for it is in in the middle as seen in my screen shot #1. I don’t use the ON app at all so I never experience the loud default ON app volume of 16 like others reported.

I don’t really know why you still have the loud volume even after you quit the ON app. My only guess is maybe the default 16 loud volume in the ON app already changed the TV Adapter setting inside your OPN so that’s the value it has stored in it now instead of the original default value set by Genie 2.

My only other suggestion you can try is perhaps power cycle your OPN HAs, with the ON app off. MAYBE (just hopefully), it’ll clear out the ON app default setting and revert back to the Genie 2 setting of whatever your audi set it to after a power cycle. But of course, if your audi had it set to the loudest setting in Genie 2 then you’re out of luck on that, too.

1 Like

Thanks… as I said above, the equalizer function seems to be working most of the time… it’s really more of an annoyance having to lower the volume in the app, and it seems to me rather silly that Oticon doesn’t offer people the option to lower the default volume so that it will stay at the lower volume… I do keep asking my audiologist and she tells me she reminds the Oticon rep about it…

@Volusiano @nedunla Default 16 is not the problem. I have Genie 2, the ON app and the TV Adapter 3.0 and this is how I think it works:

16 is always the default in the ON app, regardless what you select in Genie 2. If you select Low, default 16 will be lower as well. The problem for me is that “Low” in Genie 2 is still way too loud.

I guess this depends on what TV you have. I have a Samsung, connected with Toslink to my TV Adapter 3.0. So in this case I guess Samsung is sending the strongest signal to TV Adapter, then the TV Adapter turns down the volume to “Low”. But as I said before, “Low” is still to high…

It doesn’t look like it possible to change default 16 (in the ON app) to something else in Genie 2?

OK, I see where you’re coming from, @Spindel.

I use the Toslink input to my TV Adapter, too. But instead of having Fixed Volume set from my TV, I disable the Fixed Volume option. This way, I can control the volume from my TV, and it remains to wherever I had it set at the next time I turn it on.

I can see that if you choose Fix Volume from the TV, it would probably choose to send the max volume out to the Toslink input of the TV Adapter. Then you would have to control it now either on your iPhone (via a triple tap of the Home button), or on the ON app, or via the OPN hard buttons. I can see that in this case, even a low setting on the ON app (or the iPhone Hearing Devices window) may still not be enough to keep it down to the level you like.

With the Fix Volume disabled on my TV, and the TV Volume set somewhere in the middle, and the TV Adapter volume set somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the max, I can listen comfortably to the show.

If I enable the Fix Volume on my TV, then the TV volume control does not do anything (as expected), and yes, it comes across much louder into my OPN and I’d have to set the TV Adapter volume to a very low level (much lower than 1/3 to 1/2, more like 1/10-1/8 of the max, before it become comfortable for me.

1 Like

Thanks… Now that you mention the default thing, I do remember my audiologist mentioning that , I think, in one of my visits to her… I have Samsung TV - - I’ll have to see if there is a “fix volume” option on the TV …

Today I received my Oticon More and after pairing it to my phone the On app now have the equalizer available for me to use. It looks like equalizer is only available if you have the S1 and More.

I know this is off topic for this thread, but looking forward to hear your opinion about the Oticon More in the other thread once you get more exposure with them on.

It’s also available for Oticon Ruby.

Happy to say that they are not worse than my Opn1, but definitely need to get more exposure to make an opinion on them.

Off topic, but I’m trialing my first pair of bluetooth capable hearing aids and I’m curious about the TV adapter. I mainly rely on captions these days. If they aren’t available, I don’t watch.

If I wanted to try the adapter, is there usually a trial period available? Or would I have to buy it outright?

@smile44, not sure if there is a trial period for them, best to ask your Audi, she may have one she can let you try. I got lucky on mine, bought it on Ebay for $105 and it’s the 3.0 TV streamer for Oticon. The only reason I bought it because my Oticon won’t connect directly to my TV or set top box. Definitely worth a try if you can’t watch without the close captioning.

I have OPN S 1 (firmware 8.0), TV Adapter 3.0 (firmware 2.1.1), iPhone 12 mini with iOS 14.3, and ON app 2.3.0.

If I do a cold start of the iPhone (no apps running) and then turn on my hearing aids, the MFi menu (triple click) shows a Volume of 64 for the microphone level and General 1 program. If I then turn on my old Panasonic flat screen TV connected to the TV Adapter 3 with TOSLINK and use the MFi menu to change to the TV Adapter/EduMic selection, the default Volume is shown in the MFi menu as 84 (and it is very loud). If I then start the ON app, the app shows a volume of 16. I then set it to 5 using the ON app (comfortable for me) - the MFi menu then shows 28.

If I select a normal program (say P1) and then go back to the TV Adapter, the volume returns to the default setting of 16 (way too loud again).

My ancient TV does not have an adjustable volume for the TOSLINK output so that isn’t an option for me. Last time I was in to see my provider, she changed the setting in Genie but that did not change the volume level indication of 18 although the volume may be a bit lower but still way too loud for me. Sure would be nice for a user to be able to set a default volume level, whether in the MFi stuff or in the ON app.

If I remember correctly, with my old OPN 1 aids and a much earlier version of the ON app, the default volume was shown as 0 and the level was more appropriate.

Fyi All, I connected my Oticon More to my TV adapter and it is a lot worse for me now. Default volume is now at 16 instead of 14 and what make it worse is the beep or tone when changing from P1 to TV is a lot louder now. I will have to figure out how to lower the tone down. I still need to lower the volume to zero everytime I switch to the TV mode.

It’s seems like Oticon doesn’t know they have issue with the TV adapter or just completely ignoring the problem.

I bet your audi didn’t visit the “Beep” page (as seen below) to adjust your Beep Signal level to Normal or Soft. I’m guessing it’s at Loud right now. If you already have the DIY tools and a newer version that starts supporting the More downloaded, maybe you can try to adjust this yourself.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the TV Adapter setting in the Genie 2 Software for the More is also set to a higher value. Again, if you have the DIY tools, try to lower down this value as well. Also, if you’re connecting via the Toslink, try to disable the Fixed Volume output on your TV so it wouldn’t send the max volume out to the TV Adapter.

I don’t really have any default loud volume issue with my TV Adapter set up for my OPN 1, so I can only assume that those who do have the issue is due to their audi not setting default values right in Genie 2, and they have Fixed Volume set on their Toslinnk output, which sends out the max volume to the TV Adapter. I have the Fixed Volume disable on my TV so I get normal volume from my TV.