Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

I’ve just created a X (twitter) post which I encourage you to like and reshare. Hopefully get someone’s attention

8 Likes

I already asked about Lumity coming out with the replaceable batteries and provider said he doubts it because the Lumity just came out last year. If it IS in the plan for next year, I’d rather take my chances with my current aids.

1 Like

Audeo Lumity rechargeable only:

I’m considering the same thing. I’m so used to Phonak! My audio says the Paradise will be the same price since my Lumity price was a “promotional” price. I only get $500 (which I couldn’t use with the promo price) every 3 years of HA benefit too but better than nothing, guess…
I wonder if they had a “promotion” on Lumity because they are fully aware of the problem and are planning on a fix in the near future?

1 Like

One our forum members @Neville is an audiologist and has stated that a Lumity with 312 is coming out “soon.” I find them to be very credible.

2 Likes

Still don’t understand why the battery is so low on the lumity

For context Stankey is offering 50 and 40 hours with their RIC and RIC mini.

Resound offers a mini RIC with 30hours and still 20+ if streaming all day - https://youtube.com/shorts/B8x2CzwHM_0?si=zy6x2RKIMw-uVFH9

Know the Bluetooth quality is different but 1/2 - 1/3 battery life? Come on….

@Conndor I have no idea, I am just here on this forum to help my brother who is hard of hearing, an end user so to speak.
But I will be a user soon in any cases.
For rechargeable batteries, I have no idea why there are recharge time discrepancies between manufacturer, but what I do know is Sonova (Phonak/Unitron) uses classic bluetooth which uses more power, and if someone streams a lot, then his/her hearing aids will run out of juice in no time, I am sure that type of bluetooth in the hearing aids is a factor in the longevity of any batteries for that matter not just rechargeable.

1 Like

It was a surprise to me too. Lumity was initially marketed as an all-rechargeable line, but it looks like they’ve wedged in some battery options with the Nadia 675 (already out) and the audeo 312 (next release, but unitron version already out). I am also still expecting their rechargeable virto line later in 2024, but that’s just a guess given competition releases and the wording of phonak’s initial hype around the lumity.

However, I would expect closer to a 4/5 day battery life with the 312, not a seven as was the traditional expectation with a 312. The device is doing more now.

And again, this shorter battery life isn’t a “problem” that has been “discovered”. This has been the expected battery life of these devices all along, it’s just part of the product that people are unsatisfied with. But was anyone TOLD that the audeo lumity would last 30 hours with streaming? If so, the provider was confused.

3 Likes

Very unlikely. More likely that people were told it would last all day.

1 Like

Reminds me a bit of the “problem” of the Marvels being able to be paired to 2 devices.

2 Likes

My M70s - 312 - 4 days
P90s - 13 - 6 days

2 Likes

I think the use of a “day” as how we measure battery life contributes some to our battery life dissatisfaction because what a “day” is to to each of us varies tremendously (likely less than 12 hrs for some and over 18 for others, plus variations in how much we stream)

5 Likes

@MDB
Absolutely. I’m retired l, so TV Connector on for a number of hours a day.

Retired, so am I, and get 128hrs + 32 hrs streaming on my P70-13, connected to the APP almost all day, and connected to the Cell full time.

1 Like

I would argue that the root cause of battery life dissatisfaction is that prior to rechargeables there simply wasn’t any question that batteries would last a full day for anybody.

4 Likes

Prior to rechargeable batteries, the ability to have hearing aids connected to just about everything via bluetooth was not a topic of concern…Nor was the concern to have the hearing aids connected to 2 devices at the same time.

24 hours in a day, subtract 7 -8 hours for sleeping gives you 16-17 hours of use. Phonak states 16 hours of use in the majority of their literature.

Personally at age 68, I do a 5 mile hike almost every day. My hearing aids go in the charger while showering and while my ears dry. Thats about 30-45 minutes more charging.
My paradise 70 have never run out of battery power even with 2-3 hours of streaming music and 2-3 hours of TV streaming via the phonak tv connection.

I’m fairly certain that there’s hundreds of thousands of people who have the same experience as mine.

4 Likes

You said it! An now I’m going to apply an enthusiastic “THUMBS UP!” to the twitter post. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

3 Likes

You’re probably right. And then there are the “outliers” like me - cinderblock ears, audiogram lower than a snake’s belly, and so no wonder I’ve had a few times when I needed to swap into my backup pair of Phonak Lumity Life rechargeables before a full day’s done. It’s not that I stream a lot. It’s that I need more juice to even hear a canon go off.

By comparison, I’d always get near to 6 full days of battery power with my Marvel aids. But they were not as multi-use as the Lumity aids. I kept the rechargeable Lumity aids for 2 key reasons: 1.) speech clarity enhancement and 2.) so-called WATERPROOF (which didn’t work out for me).

2 Likes

Have you considered Naida HAs? Disposable battery option and more power. @kevels55 seems to love his.

WH

3 Likes

I don’t think bluejay can use earmolds. :confused:

1 Like