Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

It isn’t new. Here’s my response:

1. I think this belief originated with Phonak’s omission of touch and motion based features from the 312 and 13 versions of the Paradise RIC. I researched the tiny accelerometers used for these features, and concluded that voltage and current limitations aren’t a credible reason for omitting them from those versions.

2. The posts on theoretical advantages of higher voltage are about theory, not practice.

3. Disposable batteries’ peak current output limits do restrict hearing aid designers, particularly in the area of Bluetooth and streaming AFAIK. But when manufacturers of implants needed more output than even 675 hearing aid batteries could provide, battery makers came through with 675 implant batteries. So it seems that disposable batteries can be improved, if the HA manufacturers want them to be.

It isn’t a good argument. Smartphones are consumer electronics devices. Hearing aids are prostheses:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=874&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:8.0.1.1.24.4

Hearing aids have been powered by disposable zinc-air batteries for years. The technology is well-established, and so is the supply chain. Smartphones are available only with rechargeable batteries.

5 Likes

12hours. Wow. Sorry to hear that.

You couldn’t have said it better! My exact conversation with my HA provider. Mine lasts about 15 hours before the dreaded warning chime and yes, it does cause stress because of the “what ifs”.
I like to stream Audiobooks during the day and TV at night plus some phone calls during the day. My family all lives out of state in different areas of the country so I definitely want to “keep in touch”.
It was suggested that I try not streaming as much :roll_eyes:.
I was concerned about this very thing when I thought about buying new HAs when the Paradise came out and decided to wait since my current HA were working “ok”.
I finally broke down and purchased the Lumity plus both the new small charger and the old charger that has a power pack attachment, “just in case” of power outages.
I’m 4 weeks into the 45 day return period and I discussed all of this with the provider yesterday, including purchasing the older Paradise that has the disposable battery option instead of rechargeable. If Lumity had this my problem would be solved. I don’t mind changing the batteries every 4-5 days and have the peace of mind but it’s not offered with Lumity😕.
I’ve used Phonak for many years and really like the brand and trusted it but between the rechargeable battery and the “glitchy” app, where do I go from here?
Any ideas would be appreciated!!

5 Likes

Lumity is supposed to be coming out with 312 battery version “soon.” I’d ask your audi about it. App got a recent update I believe. I suspect apps will always be relatively glitchy.

2 Likes

Bluetooth does use a lot of battery. If you stream using the TV connect or through a Roger device you might get a few more hours a day. But, agree it is a problem. Depending on your hearing lumity is more advanced than going backwards to paradise.

Wish I could highlight a response. I completely agree! Sorry you’re having a tough time. It’s frustrating when great tech feels within reach but isn’t in reality. Good luck with it.

1 Like

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does the Naida Lumity’s battery life compare to the Audeo version? I know the Naida is bigger overall and designed for stronger amplification, so I’m thinking maybe they included a larger battery.

1 Like

And TODAY - yet another example of why I prefer battery aids. Power went out for just 1000 houses in my neighborhood with a wild and woolly storm blasting outside. And here I am. Rechargeable aids. No idea when power will be restored. Local power authorities say within a few hours. But by then, the storm will have increased to a real gale with some 3 inches of rain in the forecast. So what are the odds we’ll lose power again?

We have inverters and battery packs on-hand, and are using Mobile Hotspot on the cell phone, but have no HH generator installed yet. Doh.

I’ve unplugged all my Phonak charging bases for aids and Roger. Cuz now I have to be concerned about a power SURGE when it’s restored, and I’d hate to cook my necessary medical devices. Took the aids OUT of the chargers and am wearing one pair, the other is turned off to conserve that power.

It isn’t even hurricane season here, but storms can happen any time. I’m glad I still have a year’s supply of size 13 batteries and my old Marvel aids! I’ll share this lattest adventure (along with the day-long boating safety class after which batteries died episode) with my audi on Friday. She can pass it along to Phonak as fodder for the fire building to BRING BACK BATTERY AIDS!

At least give us a choice! It’s a medical device.

7 Likes

I’m just saying: that is a LAME suggestion! Proof positive that whoever gave you that advice does NOT walk in our shoes. I’d like to tell them: Turn your TV, computer and phone off for 12 hours and report back to me how enjoyable that is. It’s like WE have to sacrifice normal, everyday LIFE cuz some blockhead at the hearing aid companies insists that “EVERYONE prefers rechargeables!”

I get 17.5 hrs max per day with my Phonak Lumity Life aids. I take a couple short calls and stream TV with the Roger for maybe 2-3 hours each night. I’m THANKFUL for the 17.5 hours, but as I learned this morning, when power FAILS due to weather beyond my control, it’s an entirely new ballgame. Now it’s not as nifty getting less than a day’s use from my aids. I NEED these to function.

Or maybe someone at Phonak would say: “Keep a slate and chalk handy for communicating when you lose power for several days as they did over in Ft Meyers, FL. You’ll be fine!”

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

9 Likes

Thanks for responding.
I’m planning to return the Phonak Lumity primarily because of the battery life, although the app is also “buggy” at times
too. I’m going to look at both the latest Starkey and the Oticon ( I learned that I can get the Oticon with non-rechargeable batteries which I prefer anyway. I hope one of them will suit my needs🤷🏼‍♀️

2 Likes

My biggest fear too!

Exactly! What a ridiculous suggestion! We’re just trying to hear mainly out of necessity! Too bad insurance companies and the government don’t put as much importance on adequate hearing as they do on “sex change operations”:relaxed:
It’s a quality of life and safety concern. Well worth the investment I’m just happy that these HA’s exist!

3 Likes

The Phonak App is way less buggy than the new Oticon App.

You won’t get an App that is perfect. I don’t really use the Apps on my Phonak or Oticon Aids.

2 Likes

Exactly why I chose Paradise over Lumity. My oldest Phonaks are 2015, and they still work as they did. I doubt they’d hold a charge now

2 Likes

im loving it, but i agree the battery life could be improved, I dont mind an extra 100mg to have a full 24hr or more

my other solution was a charging wire, where it magnet itself like a wired earset, I proposed the design to phonak, they refused, and i didn’t manage to find a phonak engineer that would let the hearing aid work while charging.

@Zebras
I’m using the app to help fine tune the HAs, when in challenging environments. When I get home, I try to replicate the changes in Target.

It would be great if it was a 10 band graphic (rather than 3 band), coinciding with Target :slight_smile:

Other than this, I don’t use the app. However, the Widget can be a quicker way of switching programmes than the buttons.

Peter

1 Like

I came here again (was a participant when the forum had another name) trying to get my hearing aids to work.

I envy those that use the diy skills they have. I don’t have those skills.

I find the app helpful. But i find that using saved programs eats away at battery life. My rechargeable don’t have enough capacity without that additional loss.

1 Like

Sadly if they did, you would get no attention. Please don’t make everything political and partisan. Your words are painful for people who know the agony

2 Likes

I would argue that Phonak is hurting its users with a medical device that cannot last beyond a ‘perfect’ day. In emergency situations we NEED to be able to hear. Yes it’s 1% of the time but it’s the 1% of the time that matters.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m thinking the same.

The Phonak Lumity RIC just doesn’t have the battery life and Starkey Genesis AI, whilst it does have great battery life the bluetooth isn’t great and I’m not getting amazing audio quality (guess I’m just used to Phonak after 4 decades!)

Going to go back to audiologist and ask for Phonak Paradise CIC customs. Fortunately my wife just got a new job with a different insurance plan which covers hearing aids. So whilst I’m disappointed to be getting the previous generation aids, as it’s cheaper for me (out of pocket) I can upgrade in 3 years instead of the usual 5-6 years cycle.

3 Likes