Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

I totally respect your preference for disposable batteries and am not trying (at all!) to sway yours or anyone elses opinion. However, I have seen you make the comment “I simply cannot go without hearing for three hours waiting for my hearing aids to charge” several times. I am genuinely curious what you are talking about when you say this. Did you try a brand of rechargeables that you needed to charge for 3 hours during the day? If so, could you let us know which ones they were so we all know what to avoid? I have never run out of battery during the day, but if I ever did I can get something like 5 hours more with a 30 minute charge, or 10 hours of running time with a 1 hour charge. It only takes 3 hrs for a full charge, and I can’t imagine a situation where I would need to charge for 20 hours (or more) during the day. Is there a brand that requires that?

1 Like

Since you asked, I’m going by all information available online, which is included in the Phonak data sheet.

That data sheet says: 3 hours without hearing while it charges. I simply cannot risk that or even fathom risking that. Especially when I have zero hearing without aids. That’s why disposable battery with instant hearing is the only option for me.

Which is neither here nor there, since CROS isn’t available in my model: the Lumity NAIDA UP line anyway. Aside from recharging for 3 hours, which is not an option, I simply cannot go without CROS. Which means Phonak is now out and is why I dropped them like a bad habit for Oticon yesterday.

I believe @codergeek2015 stated he wears his aids 24/7, so he doesn’t take them out… Assuming, apart from showering! Having never tried the Oticon Xceed, I wish him well, my only reservation would be the Xceed is older technology, released in 2019, I believe? I should imagine, Phonak will release a Lumity disposable battery version of the “Cros”, in the not too distant future, I believe the NHS, a major dispenser of hearing aids, refused to stock Phonak’s rechargeable Cros aids, because of runtime issues, so I am almost certain, Phonak will be working on a replacement battery version… Cheers Kev :wink:

You are correct, @Kevels55 - I don’t wear my aids in the shower or while I sleep. :slight_smile: It may be older tech, but I’m hearing so much better with Oticon. Phonak lives up to most reviews - it sounds too mechanical. Oticon is so much more natural compared to Phonak. I haven’t heard like this in my Oticon Xceed for at least my last two Phonaks, so for at least 10 years. Music sounds like it used to. People sound like they used to. I can follow all conversation without missing a beat like I used to. I’m thrilled.

I’m sticking with Oticon, since it is working so well for my hearing loss.

3 Likes

Brilliant @codergeek2015, I am delighted for you :grin: if they work, that’s all that matters! As I have said many times before, what I like, and you like, might possibly be polar opposites, hearing loss is almost like a a fingerprint, and 2 losses could be almost similar, but when you throw personal preferences in the mix, you can never get a perfect match! I wish you the very best of luck with your choice of hearing aids :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

I had power receivers, now have UPs. Still getting about 18 hours with tv and tablet streaming.

BTW…considering Phonak never did a CROS unit for the Paradise Naida UP, and that the Naida UP continues to be without ANY CROS option anymore in Lumity Naida UPs (keeping in mind that I am unable to utilize the Audeo because of my level of loss), the Oticon Xceed 1s with disposable batteries are the best option for me. And sadly, Phonak is discriminating against and excluding part of its customer base who need this technology.

It seems some folk on this board are unwilling to accept (including my former audiologist) that Naida no longer has viable CROS compatibility within the UP line (not SP…UP).

This is not just the data sheet talking, but other audiologists like Dr. Cliff who have also confirmed there is no Naida UP CROS viability in the Lumity line either.

Which is a big reason why I FIRED Phonak.

1 Like

Rationale is the trade-off between size and battery time.
When increasing battery size, ie size of hearing aid, many (many) users turn away.
And yes we take these inputs super seriously!

4 Likes

Have you ever thought about the working person such as myself who has zero time to have their hearing aids recharge before you got rid of disposables? Care to comment on the elimination of Naida CROS compatible aids since the Naida B UP models so I was forced to FIRE your company and go elsewhere this upgrade cycle? Because now you have zero solutions for my loss? Which is beyond the range of the Audeos?

But here come the Phonak reps for damage control. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess not. I guess only retired folk who don’t care about having their instant hearing all the time provided by disposable batteries is the only audience your company cares to support.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

“Wide range of the hearing loss spectrum.”

Except mine.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In addition to Starkey, Signia Pure Charge&Go also gets extended hours on a rechargeable - about 40 hours. The version with T-coil gets 44 hours. And these hearing aids are tiny. The Rexton BiCore version sold at Costco is the same. An added bonus is that when fully charged, which takes about 4 hours, the charger has 2 additional full charges left before it needs to be plugged in again. Great when you’re traveling.

Widex Moment, also from W/S Audiology provides up to 29 hours on a single charge. All W/S rechargeable hearing have a charge & clean charger available as an additional option, which doubles as a charger and a drier.

The technology is obviously out there for extended charging for rechargeable hearing aids. I’m currently trialing a pair Phonak L90’s and with streaming, they don’t last the day. That’s a real problem which they should address post haste. It really has me on the fence.

Yes, I have the Signia AX7 with telecoil and the battery is very good. I have no idea how long it could run since the battery has lots of power left by the time I put it in my charger at night. But it certainly has never come close to running out of juice during the day.

Gosh, codergeek, what a welcoming response you gave to Michael Phonak…(irony alert). It’s old news that you hate Phonak with a passion. We get it. Maybe give it a break. Maybe think about welcoming instead of threatening a new voice that may have real insight into Phonak. I’[d certainly like to hear more from him! I’m sure others would as well.

A bit of generosity and acceptance from your heart goes a long way! Not everyone will agree with you on some topics. No need to pull out your knives!

6 Likes

Seriously? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

On another note:

Well, yes, I’m guessing that many–mist?–customers rent cars for longer mileage trips and don’t know if they can find recharging stations along the way. If you own an electric its easy to recharge overnight.

That said, I would think that a combo gas/electric car would be desirable for longer trips.

I think the crux of their reasoning is that electric vehicles are involved in more accidents (presumably due to their rapid acceleration capabilities) and ended up being more expensive to repair.

1 Like

that makes sense. I didn’t read the link, so really was just guessing!

The root issue is that the batteries in EV are highly suspect after almost any vehicle impact and require complete replacement.

Replacement cost of the batteries exceeds the typical cost for an engine replacement.

I had a BMW i3, about 3 years ago, I got rid of it after 18 months from new, brilliant little car, fast between 0 and 90mph, it was rapid, instant torque, carbon fibre body on stainless steel chassis, it had a range extender, basically a dumbed down scooter engine, that used gas/petrol, to recharge the batteries on the go, only held 10 litres of fuel, gave me an extra 60 to 80 miles, on top of the 130 miles the batteries gave me… My nearest charge points, where 10 miles north or south of me, so a 20 mile round trip, I have 4kw of solar panels on my roof at home, so if the weather was fair, we charged up for free… Unfortunately travelling any distance, was challenging and had to be planned meticulously. In the Scottish Highlands, charging points are few and far between, and if any are down/out of service, you could be in trouble… Although the range extender came to the rescue on more than one occasion… In the end, range anxiety got to me, if the charging points infrastructure was better, and more fit for purpose, I might have kept the i3 ? You do not want to prang a carbon fibre car, as the slightest bump, you might require a whole new car body, so insurance is very expensive! Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

A friend hit a deer at high speed with his Hyundai Ioniq EV. Made a big mess of the front end and repairs were expensive, same with any car these days. Of course there was zero consideration of replacing the battery. “almost any vehicle impact” is ridiculous. No manufacturer would put a single EV on the road if that were true.

2 Likes