Custom ear mould question

Back in 2016-17, can’t recall exactly, I had had custom moulds made and the audi used the “goop”. You all probably know what I am meaning; he syringed rubber into each ear, we waited, and then they were carefully removed to get the shape of the moulds.
Well, that wasn’t so hot. Had to have one re-done, and I still had to REALLY cram them into my ears quite painfully to avoid feedback, even though I’d turned the ‘whistle stop’ or whatever the software calls it, all the way to ten.
YESTERDAY however, he had a new toy, a laser thingy that he used to get a picture of the inside of my ear as well as most of the outside.
Now, I haven’t gotten the new moulds as of yet, which FINALLY leads to my question:
Has anyone else experience with both methods of ‘measurement’ and is the new, laser method better?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

The laser molds are so much better. There’s really no comparison. They fit better and are so much more comfortable. And they’re also considerably smaller.

2 Likes

Yes!, the otoscan is more accurate to take ear impressions.

1 Like

I’ve had both. I was so used to the actual impression fit method for 35 years . It’s been hit and miss during that time some impressions are good, some are ok some are too tight, some too loose. The end result on how the mould fit was dependant on the time of day, how experienced the person is taking them, also the manufacturer too. I actually find it soothing and relaxing to get impressions made.

I had the Lazer/scan method about 6-7 years ago at Beltone and it was fascinating to me, led to a to a whole slew of new questions about the new technology because I didn’t even know that could be done. I will say they were the absalute best fitting set of moulds I’ve ever had to date and still proved to be the most comfortable set I’ve owned. The downside was they were not durable for me, had to replaced every 3 months and one of the reasons I decided to go elsewhere to purchase my first private set of hearing aids. Mine were NHS ones from England so the moulds were to replace the cracking ones and my first hearing aid purchase once I moved to the states.

If I was given the option I’d go Lazer scan method based on my personal experience

1 Like

Interesting. Hadn’t given thought to cracking, as these (uncomfortable though they be) haven’t shown any signs of wear whatsoever, over the years. I’ll be certain to ask about that, when I go to pick them up. Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah, having to replace custom molds every three months is a no-go for me.

There’s another thing. IT seems that the shape of my ear changes over time, with weather and who knows what else. Aging. My audi got me a great fit for an aid that was prone to high pitched feedback when it loosened a bit. he fixed it with shaping of the mold, but now, several months later, the issue is back. I try to clean all the wax off the mold every morning, and that helps a bit. The issue isn’t terrible, but I wonder if it’s resoivable. Even the best laser image will be a snapshot. If the ear changes shape a little bit it seems like it might fail. I mean, pressure from the mold itself might reshape the ear. Hopefully I’m wrong!

2 Likes