Currently trialing Phonak Audeo P70 and CROS P

I picked up the Phonak Audeo Paradise P-70 CROS hearing aids on Friday on a 30 day trial.

I must prequalify my statements that this is my second trial hearing aids ever. I’ve been in effect SSD for 26 years. I trialed a Starkey CROS hearing aid three years ago and I was not impressed. The audiologist simply moved the sounds from my left ear to my right ear at a lower volume than the sound in my right ear. The result was that I did not perceive any benefit from the aids. She also did not attempt to adjust them in any way.

My initial impression on the Phonak is positive. The Audio boosted the low frequencies so I am hearing things that I have not heard in years. I think the left ear needs a little more boost and I still don’t understand the controls. The manual is just confusing to me. The only negative so far is the phone app does not work with them. The CROS aid uses up the channel that the receiver would normally use to communicate with the app. They are working on a solution and expect a working app by 2022.

I have another appointment in two weeks to make tweaks, but at this point I can’t imagine not keeping them.

Sounds like you have a good start.
Congratulations

I guess I should update this thread.

The trial is over and I’m keeping the Phonak Paradise CROS aids.

I found during the last month that I forgot to put them in a couple of times and not only did I notice the difference, people around me noticed the differences. My wife would ask if I had my hearing aids in. When I answered in the negative, she said she wasn’t going to talk to me anymore until I put them in.

The only negatives I have is that the battery life isn’t as long as I would like. I arise at 5AM and don’t usually go to bed until 10PM. If I put them in as soon as I get up and don’t give them a refresh during the day, they only make it until about 8 PM. But, considering how much time I spend on the phone, and that every minute on the phone is streamed, 15 hours is pretty good.

The second negative is that streaming videos from YouTube is easy to overdrive the speaker and cause a lot of distortion. I have to monkey with the volume settings on the aids and the streaming device to find something that works half way decent, and then it’s not as good as if it comes through the microphones on the aids.

But the fidelity through the microphones is outstanding. I might even become interested in music again.

2 Likes

Do you hear any difference with wear hearing aid only vs. hearing aid with CROS P?

The streaming issue may be able to be resolved with an adjustment in streaming gain by the hearing aid fitter. Sounds like battery isn’t really an issue, but other option is to get the version with disposable batteries. You’d have to change batteries though instead of recharging, but not as often as you recharge.

I couldn’t say. I’ve never worn anything but a CROS.

Hi,
Can the Phonak Aria P70 UP which is meant for severe hearing loss be use for mild or moderate loss by lowering the ampflication level during programming,

Hi there,what is the Aria, never heard of it, is it the same as Nadia BTE? If so then no not really, the UP is for severe/profound loss, a SP (super power) can be tho, you can change to a slim tube.

Hi, typo, it’s the phonak nadia p70 up.

Altenate model is the Phonak Sky M70 M.