Costco Rexton Trax 42 (Product Information)

Rexton makes the better acrylic(hard) molds and Westone make the better silicone(soft) molds. Since the mold are for a receiver in the ear product they will only be good for one type of receiver and would not fit a different brand of hearing aid.

I recommend having new molds made every 3 years, your ears continue to grow as you age and what is a good snug fit today will become loose over time.

Pip

I am getting custom molds with receivers. I was wondering - down the road if the mold/receiver needs repair, can a temporary (power) receiver be installed with a generic dome on the hearing aid until the mold/receiver is fixed? Seems that the attachment point to the hearing aid would be the same. Just looking at alternative to have a hearing aid available during a mold/receiver maintenance.

Thanks

Kannon

Kannon that can definitely be done but you may get different answers at different Costco’s. There is no policy for doing this. At my location as long as you are within your warranty period and I had the receivers in stock I would have no problem doing this for a patient.

pip

Going today for my trax fitting and want to go in with some knowledge.

• how many programs do the trax have?
  • what are useful programs to have? I’m Assuming they have pre-configured programs. Maybe not?
  • I’m using pips suggestions for prog 2 will be to use party mode and lock the directional lock forward. Thinking that would be very useful.
  • I think I understand that I can’t lock the direction left or right (per Rasmus) without the streamer. I’m thinking maybe locking left or right would be useful towards lowering my wife’s frustration trying to talk to me on road trips.
  • apparently the TV streamer is proprietary. I don’t understand why the Bluetooth HA streamer would not connect to any Bluetooth device. If I change phones, would I need to go back in and have the unit paired with my new phone?
  • maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Waiting a couple weeks for the units gives me too much time to think :slight_smile:
    Thanks!!

I think 6 programs for the Trax…but I’m just using automatic currently (for about 2 weeks now).

With the Smart Remote app (which does work WITHOUT the streamer, aka: Smart Connect) or the Smart Connect app, you can shape the directionality without changing the program, so you don’t need a directional lock forward program. The automatic program will go to “Car mode” without having to change settings…seems to work pretty well. Your wife will like that.

Good luck with your trial.

Evil.

I don’t know of a TV streamer for the Rexton. The Smart Connect streamer works with everything I’ve tried it with so far.

The smart remote app works without the bluetooth steamer but only controls the following. Increase/decrease volume• Increase/decrease treble• Mute hearing aids• Change programs• Personalize program labels. To control mic direction the smart connect app is used with the streamer to control • Change programs• Increase/decrease volume• Choose direction of microphone tofocus on what you want to hear• Personalize program labels• View the battery status of yourhearing aids and remote control• Increase/decrease treble• Mute hearing aids.

I normally give my patients just the automatic program and a dedicated noise program. The Trax is so automatic in program 1 that more programs are unnecessary.

pip

Do you get many requests for a music mode, with only frequency flattening (i.e. compression I think) that will leave all mics operating for watching surround sound movies etc with no messing with any settings? Is this even possible with this HA?

I do get a few people who ask for music programs. Most of the time they are a musician or singer.

The important things to have in a music program is to have the noise reduction turned off, have the mics locked into omni-directional, turn off or reduce feedback manager and turn off any frequency lowering technology like sound recover, sound shaping, or on the Trax 4c bandwidth compression turned off.

pip

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Ok. Have my new HAs. Thought they weren’t working as I hear no amplification. Maybe they are in a very subtle way. I had several conversations outside, in the gym, at the supermarket, on the phone, in the bank, in an office and have had no amplification. After the conversations I realized I seemed to have had no problems.

And now I’m watching the hockey game. Just realized I’m actually hearing the commentary. I had given up on that years ago because I don’t like the closed captioning during a game

Soooo maybe they are working but zero tinny amplification sound.

My aids 15 years ago we’re all about amplification and distortion so that’s what I am expecting.

Again, very subtle. Will continue to evaluate.

So after three days, I have discovered the following;

The good

• I had turned the aids off while riding my bike to the bank because of wind whistle. While talking to the tellers, I realized they were off. When I turned them on, I could hear most of what was being said. That was a real positive.
  • In the truck, with my daughter in the back seat, I could hear most of what she was saying.
  • I can hear quite a bit of what is said on TV. That’s better but I still need the closed captions for other than sports shows.
  • When we walked to the show, I used the directional mic and could make out what people beside me were saying.
  • I noticed when I used the directional mic, I could hear birds chirping but when I went to automatic, I could not hear them.

The bad.

• The hearing in noise does not work at all for me. We went to dinner last night and I needed to turn the aids off because background noise cut off voices at our table. Very disappointing as I had hoped to engage in group conversations. With the aids on or off, I could not hear most of what was said. At least with them off, I was not hearing a bunch of extra noise.
    Using the directional mic did not help at all.
  • We went to a live musical theatre production after dinner and I could only comprehend the occasional word during the singing.
  • Hearing workers at the tills in coffee shops or at Costco is worse with the aids than without. I’m thinking its the background noise.
  • The wind reduction these units are supposedly good for does not work that well for me. While walking to dinner last night I needed to keep turning my head to stop the wind whistle and while riding a bike, I just shut them off.
  • The aids become “unpaired” from each other quite often and I need to open the battery and reset them to make them paired. Because I have the smart connect and app, I can see one of the aids (varies as to which one) has become unpaired with the other. The only remedy I have found is to reset the lost one.

I’m basically a newbie regarding hearing aids. Maybe this is the norm. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe adjustments need to made.

Very disappointed with the hearing in noise capabilities. Worse than useless as they made the environment much worse.

When I started wearing the KS6s, I felt place like Costco were just to loud. That’s pretty much gone away as I acclimated to the greater background. I too tried the restaurant and party. I’ll keep the party and replace the more modest restaurant filtering. I’ll drop the wind because it too seems little better than automatic which has also seemed to improve over my initial feelings. The “too noisy” feel does get lower with acclimation.

My hearing is quite a bit worse than yours and so is my word recognition. I’ve been concentrating on improving it. Watch a lot of PBS with the accents. It is slowly improving and I’m getting by with less use of the CC. Watching shows is exercising the mind-ear link and, while improvements are slow, they are still getting better.

Thanks for the reply Ken P

Its likely just me having these problems because others seem to be doing very well. Probably just my inexperience. I am intending to keep working at them. Maybe I just need to get accustomed to the new aids. Also, at this point I have nothing to compare them to so I will likely trial something else which will give me a better reference.

Your aids are treating birds like noise. you can get a music program with omni direcitonal microphones and noise processing lowered or off for this. be aware hearing aids will not restore your hearing perfectly and the frequency range for human voices is the priority.

theater is a difficult situation as sounds are bouncing off the walls and all around the theater. you really should be using whatever devices they have for the hard of hearing there. They may communicate with the telecoil in your aid.

the binaural beamforming technology that’s the only thing that makes a siemen/rexton aid worth looking at requires the 2 aids to stream sounds between the aids. are you sure the aids were paired when you were in these difficult noise situations?

why are your aids not staying paired? at the stores those rfid machine to check for shop lifting at the entrance I believe can interfere with your aids. possibly there’s something causing interference. are you carrying some kind of radio device? or any other electronics? do you have metal in your head?

reading how you like to wear your aids out in the wild via your bike rides, is it possible that you getting them drenched in the rain? people are writing about the water resistant nature of these aids but I would not go out in the rain without an umbrella. Do you think you’ve gotten a lot of sweat on these aids?

maybe you’ve gotten a bad batch of batteries? I would buy different brands of batteries.

it’s possible one of your units is not working.

are your domes open? they should be.

Are the people you can’t hear sitting left and right of you? because typically that’s not the best place to hear people via directional mics. you should be turning your head to the speaker especially if they are just saying a few words randomly during a conversation. seating arrangement can go a long way in helping you hear in noise.

I would call costco and ask them about the unpairing issue. hopefully the costco people on the board read this and provide some inputs.

mjd,

I’m a relative newbie to hearing aids, but I’m a competitive cyclist.

I’m using Rexton Quintras, the version of Rextons that were replaced by the Trax 42s.

I use my hearing aids every time I ride. Just put a sweat band on, pull it over the hearing aids, and bingo - there will be NO wind noise. I’ve ridden with hearing aids at speeds of up to 50mph with no problem.

Don’t worry about sweat. I’ve sweated copiously while wearing my HAs, with no problems. The worst is when doing a 2-hour group indoor computrainer race-training class. Just dabbing the sweat from my neck and forehead can drench 4 hand towels - yet the hearing aids have never been affected.

(I believe my Quintras have basically the same plastic housing as your Trax, so their performance with sweat should be about the same.)

mjd2k. I’ve not been riding with these Trax42 (had them for about 2.5 weeks now), but we have had some gusty weather. The wind was even less noticeable than with my old HA’s, so I think this is a matter of you getting used to the amplification. I work in an environment with a LOT of electronic equipment on the benches and in the walls. The worst I’ve noticed is that I get a sound like radio static in certain positions in the room. I think that is EM screwing with the wireless connection between the aids. I had an iCom with my old HA’s and it would lose connection to my HA’s in this room, so probably not surprising I get a little static. BUT as far as I know the HA’s are still paired.

The sound quality on the Trax is quite good. The audi gave me tulip domes, probably to reduce feedback, but I’m used to a more open fit, so I’m having some trouble with the occlusion. A little entrainment at certain frequencies and I really notice the occlusion in noisy environments (I’m assuming when the speech-in-noise program kicks in).

I’ve ordered custom molds. If the vents are big enough, that should solve that issue, without increasing feed back too much. On my right ear, regular domes simply don’t stay put. I think my jaw moves around too much…I need the canal lock on a custom mold!

Anyhow…give the Trax a week or two to get used to them before you pass judgement.

Evil.

Thanks all for the replies

• DD, the AIDS are not getting wet, i have had mostly casual rides with them on. I did a mtn bike race last night but left them in the truck. That would have been a sweat test but I’m confident they can handle that. still conscious bout wearing them so didn’t want all the young bikers thinking I’m even older than 59 :slight_smile:
  • I’m thinking seating arrangement will make a difference. Had tried that but there was a wall behind wife and daughter and I think sound bounced back off it. Will work on that!
  • I think elevation makes a diff. When I’m standing, I can’t hear people sitting directly in front. Assume the AIDS can’t pick them up.
  • I can’t determine the un-pairing scenario…yet, but I will!
  • I notice my iPhone will work with two Bluetooth at once. I never knew it could do that!
  • the sweat band is an excellent idea Duncan, my AIDS will never see 50 mph on a bike!!! I chicken out at 30 mph :slight_smile:
  • Evil, I will try them for at least a month or two. They are no issue for me to wear and quite honestly, I think tellers etc are more patient repeating because they see the AIDS. Your experience is really relevant as you are wearing them too and seem happy!!!

get yourself a pair of Buy the ORIGINAL Hearing Aid Sweat Band™ today! - Proudly Made in the USA - Protect your Hearing Aid investment these in a neon color they will stay dry, clean and you have chance of finding them.

the younger guys probably have ipods in their ear and will think your HAs are some kind of BT thing.

Interesting about the custom molds. My right one keeps coming out also. I assume they do right and left ear molds.
Personally I think the wires are too short and keep the molds from going in far enough.

Very I interested to see what happens with yours.

Been doing some research on the AIDS and Im starting to get more of an appreciation of them. I definitely hear most conversations better. I think understanding the limitations and operation is helping.

For example:

• I now realize I misunderstood the hearing in noise capabilities. I had an idea they filtered noise and allowed voices to come through. Wrong…sorta

My habit is to generally look a bit sideways at people that are speaking. That way I exposed an ear and could still watch their lips. I now realize the technology requires you to look directly at the person speaking. Something that is hard for me to do. DdoubleDown mentioned that but it went right by me. Will work on that big time.

I tried it this morning at a coffee shop and it was an improvement.

That’s explains why the theatre was so poor as it had no place to focus the hearing beam.

• Being on the same plane really matters. I can control that by looking at people that are sitting.

Kinda feels awkward as it seems creepy to stare but will work on it!!!

• Im pretty much retired and have time to obsess with this right now because its a big deal to me. My wife thinks Im out working. Hah!!

Mjd…

Yes…molds for both ears. You could choose to do just one…but why? If you’re going to go the custom route, may as well go all in!